注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
查看: 717|回复: 2

[[学习策略]] [转贴]]“超级女声”上了美国的主流媒体

[复制链接]
发表于 2005-5-24 22:39:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Chinese audiences take to 'Idol' phenomenon
  'Super Girl,' a reality show, is modeled on American and British predecessors.
   Talk about it
   E-mail it
   Print it
   Contact us
  By Gady A. Epstein
  Sun Foreign Staff
  Originally published May 22, 2005

CHANGSHA, China - Three young female singers, just weeks removed from anonymity, were standing onstage in front of a restive, noisy crowd of 1,000 people and a television audience of as many as 25 million more, all of them anxious to learn which singer had won the right to advance to the national finals.

Host Li Xiang - the Ryan Seacrest of China - set up the moment on one of the most popular entertainment shows on Chinese television today, seen at least once by 210 million people since it first aired early last year.

\"Next,\" said Li, 25, \"we will reveal the Changsha regional champion of the 2005 Mongolian Cow Sour Sour Yogurt Super Girl Voice!\"

Super Girl is not identical to American Idol, given that the Chinese show has sold its name to a dairy company, accepts only female contestants and has almost impenetrably complex rules for winnowing down contestants - which helps explain why last week's regional finale went on for three hours.

But the phenomenon is the same: The program has become a national spectacle. Now in its second season, Super Girl, modeled closely after American Idol and its British predecessor, Pop Idol, is the first nationally broadcast show of its kind in China, where the government owns all television stations and controls what goes on the air.

Unique in China

Change tends to come slowly to Chinese television, which serves as the most effective propaganda arm of the government, with a widely watched national nightly newscast and politically correct programming.

Sports and entertainment shows are not immune from political considerations: Propaganda officials seek content that casts the nation's favored stars and, of course, the government in a positive light; conversely, the handful of athletes or entertainers who fall out of favor with the government may find themselves suddenly invisible in prime time.

In this somewhat antiseptic environment, Super Girl has tapped a rich, previously unexploited interest in reality shows that portends more such shows to come, if state censors and government television executives decide to allow anything beyond a singing contest.

\"It is so close to the audience. It's a program that all people can get involved in, and before there was not such a program in the mainland,\" said An Youqi, 21, a native of remote northeastern China who won the inaugural season last year and has since recorded an album that sold more than 1 million copies. She returned to Super Girl to be a guest host on last week's show.

Super Girl has given every young girl in China - the daughters of farmers, migrant workers, coal miners or low-level government workers in far-flung provinces - a chance, however slim, of becoming a star. More than 100,000 women and girls, ages 4 to 89, will have competed by the time five cities have been host to regional competitions this year.

Different rules

Unlike in American Idol, where contestants from all around the United States end up competing against one another for the chance of being in a final field of 12, in Super Girl producers hold regional competitions. Each of this year's five regional winners automatically moves on to the national finals, and all of the regional second- and third-place finishers will compete again for a second chance to reach the finals.

Such complexity can be viewed as part of the show's charm.

Varying judges

In what is billed as a populist move, for example, the show also chooses 31 citizens reflecting different parts of society to serve as \"audience judges\" in each region.

They sit quietly on bleachers behind the three or four professional judges during the show, until called to the stage to help decide whom to eliminate from competition.

Some of these judges dress up in their finest for these telecasts, while others appear as if they've rushed to the show from cleaning house.

The professional judges, meanwhile, vary from region to region and don't have the distinct personalities of their American counterparts, though they do become minor celebrities.

Their remarks can have a distinctly Chinese flavor.
  In the finale last week here in Changsha - the capital of Hunan province - one contestant dressed up like singer Avril Lavigne, with heavy blue eye shadow, a gothic-black faux corset top and lacy white skirt, and performed Lavigne's \"Take Me Away.\"

Judge Cang Yanbin, the record producer for last year's winner, was dismayed.

\"You chose another English song for the finale,\" Cang said to the contestant, Huang Jing, a college sophomore from Hunan. \"You should trust the charm of the mother tongue.\"

The Lavigne look-alike was eliminated for good by a 22-9 vote by the audience judges.

'I realized my dream'

The final three then sang songs chosen for them. In a twist, each woman had to pick one of the others to sing with and against, and they held hands as they competed against each other.

Finally, the text-message tallies for the three contestants were revealed - one digit at a time. The rowdy audience and the contestants' families and friends, who spent much of the three hours rattling noisemakers, blowing whistles or holding signs for their favored singers, cheered for every digit.

Zhao Jingyi, the daughter of a provincial-level police officer, received more than 100,000 text-message votes during the show to win easily.

She spoke afterward with modesty: \"Ever since I was a little girl,\" she said, \"I had a dream that I would stand on a stage and sing, and I realized my dream today.\" And she thanked her parents.

Contracts

Super Girl contestants are not promised recording contracts if they win, but last year's top three finishers have been signed to such deals. And third-place finisher Zhang Hanyun, a high school student from southwestern China's Sichuan province, became the face of the Mongolian Cow dairy's Sour Sour Yogurt that now sponsors the show.

Zhang, who turned 16 two months ago, pitches the yogurt on bus stop posters and national television commercials. Her first album is due out in July, and she is slated to star in a television drama based on her life.

She is also the subject of numerous Web postings, including some who say her cute-and-innocent image is a pretense for profit.

If so, she has a future in acting; she came to an interview at her record label's Beijing office last week in a school uniform, saying she had just taken exams at her boarding school nearby.

Before Super Girl came along, Zhang had been an \"ordinary girl,\" a daughter of government workers, but she had dreamed of being a star.

She admired Chinese pop singers but also Mariah Carey, though she didn't understand the lyrics of her songs.

\"As soon as I learned the concept of a star, I wanted to be one,\" she says.

Effect on other shows

What remains to be seen is whether Chinese television will give common people a chance to become stars in other ways, like America's quasi-celebrities spawned by shows like Survivor.

Hunan Satellite Television, famous in China for its entertainment programming, would be the logical place to start a Chinese Survivor.
  But if it were up to Liao Ke, one of the program designers behind Super Girl, that wouldn't be the case. The 29-year-old, who has seen the show, said it may not be appropriate for China.

\"Whether such a program suits the situation of China, we still need more research,\" said Liao, who wore wire-rim glasses and spoke with a clinical remove that belied his youth.

\"The reality shows, they really like to exhibit the primitive nature of humanity, and they like to show a lot of the struggles between people. But as I grew up in Chinese culture, it's very hard for me to accept that. I still think TV should be responsible to the audience.\"
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2005-5-24 22:40:29 | 显示全部楼层
[转贴]部分译文

标题:中国观众加入“偶像”现象
英文原文于5月22号在baltimoresun上发表
作者:Gady A. Epstein

中国长沙 3个年轻的女歌手,几个星期之前还是默默无闻,现在正站在舞台上,面对1000多位现场观众以及两千五百万电视观众, 紧张地期待进入全国总决赛的结果宣布。

主持人李响--中国的Ryan Seacrest(注:美国偶像的主持人)--掌握着这一时刻。这是中国最流行的娱乐节目之一。自此去年开播以来,至少有两亿一千万观众收看。

“接下来,”25岁的李响说,“我们将揭晓2005年蒙牛酸酸乳超级女声长沙赛区的冠军。”

超级女声并非和美国偶像一模一样。这个中国节目已经把冠名权卖给了一个乳业公司,只接受女性参赛者,而且还有复杂的淘汰程序—为什么上周的总决赛长达3个小时的原因之一。

但是这种现象都是和美国一样。超级女声已经成为了一个全国的奇迹。正进入第二年的超级女声以美国的美国偶像和英国的流行偶像为模版,是最先在全中国播出的此类节目。在中国,政府拥有所有的电视台并控制节目内容。

(开头部分)

小标题:在中国独树一帜
中国的电视,作为政府的宣传喉舌大量播出晚间新闻和政治导向的节目,改变都比较慢。

体育和娱乐节目也要有政治考虑。宣传官员想要国家喜欢的明星的镜头。当然,还有对政府积极面的。相反,一些不被政府宠爱的运动员和明星在黄金时段的露脸机会就没有那么多了。

在这样的一个环境里,超级女声的出现触及到真人秀中一个先前没有发现的巨大利益。更多的真人秀将出现--如果政府宣传监察官员允许超出唱歌比赛范围的话。

“这个节目和观众的距离很近。这是一个大家都可以参加的节目。而且在此之前,大陆没有此类节目,”21岁来自中国东北的安又琪说。此从她赢得第一年的冠军后,她出的一张专辑已经卖了一百万。上周,她回到超级女声客座出持此节目。

超级女声给了每个女孩一个成为明星的机会—不论是家庭出身是农民,民工,矿工,或者其他偏远地区的底层政府工作人员—尽管机会不大。在本年度五大赛区,超过10万的女性,最小4岁,最大89岁,将加入超级女声的角逐。
(本节完)

小标题:不同的规则

在《美国偶像》中,参赛者来自全美各州,互相竞争进入最后12强的名额。与此不同的是,超级女声的制作方们打造5个唱区比赛。每个唱区的冠军自动进入全国总决赛,而亚军和季军则要争取进入总决赛的另一个机会。

这种复杂性可以被看作此节目的魅力之一。

小标题:变换的评审
超级女声的口号是平民选秀。例如,这个节目在每个唱区挑选31位来自社会各个部分的公民作为“观众评审”。
他们静静地坐在三或四位专业评审之后,直到被请到舞台上决定谁将被淘汰。
一些观众评审为了上镜头而特别打扮了一番,而另一些则看起来刚从清洗房跑来一样。
专业评审呢,根据唱区的不同而变化,也没有像他们的美国姐妹节目一样有鲜明的性格,但是他们都成为了第二名人。
他们的评论有一个鲜明的中国特色。
在上周湖南省会长沙唱区的总决赛中,一个选手打扮得像歌Avril Lavigne,蓝眼影,¥#@%*¥%(外国的衣饰名词,我在这方面是白痴)演绎了Lavigne的"Take Me Away."
去年冠军唱片的制作人评审仓岩宾感到忧虑。
“你在决赛中又选了一首英文歌,”仓对比赛选手黄景说。“你应该相信母语的魅力。”
这个看起来像Lavigne的选手被观众评审以22比9淘汰。

。。。。。。。。。
(中间省略)

结尾部分
以娱乐节目在闻名中国的湖南卫视,从逻辑上讲可以打造一个中国版的《挑战者》。
但是对于超级女声的29岁的策划人之一廖柯来说,却不是这样。他已经看过《挑战者》,并说此节目可能不适合中国。
“到底这个节目是否适合中国的情况,我们需要进一步的研究,”廖说。(带着一副框架眼镜说话的谨慎与其年轻不符。)
“真人秀节目,他们把人性最本质的一面剥离给大家看,并且经常展现人之间的斗争。但是我是在中国文化中成长的,这对我特别难接受。我仍然认为电视应该对观众负责”(完)

余下留给的大家来翻把。头大了。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2005-5-25 01:12:19 | 显示全部楼层
so hot it is
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-6-8 13:03 , Processed in 0.350018 second(s), 6 queries , Redis On.