搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
查看: 832|回复: 1

[[资源推荐]] 国外的学生是怎样写英文作文的

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-1-11 08:27:20 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
http://www.rainlane.com/dispbbs. ... ID=22528&page=1
来自Yeti总结资料
Two weeks ago, “就要肆意摇摆” put this question up at Tianya. Since then, I have been looking up materials for the subject. I decided to put this up as a topic here--with a slighly modified title to cover all levels of composition-- and everyone is invited to add to it. Please share with us any useful experience you have had from taking a course from a professor while you are in another country, or from a visiting professor when you are in China. If you come across web articles that have related information, please leave a link or reprint it here (**make sure you mark it as a reprint, and leave the author and location information.)

两星期前“就要肆意摇摆” 在天涯英语杂谈提出这个问题。我现用 \"国外的学生是怎样写英文作文的?\"来作为一条新的讨论线。希望大家把经验或资料贴在这里。(有上过外教课经验,或在国外经验。 中,英皆可。转贴请注明)

A Rainlane BBS original 雨巷原创( http://www.rainlane.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=11&id=22528
Floor 2 Quotes from 中国教师和美国教授的“茶馆问题”版本
Floor 3. Quotes from \"low marks due to pattern writing.\"
F4. Example of a course outline for an English course in a Canadian college.
F5. Instructions for a literature analysis paper for a university course (in the USA) from an American profession.
F6. Links to 3 articles on 西方教育差異
F8 Marking symbols for essays gives an idea what is being looked at.
F9. Example of an assignment
F10 Example of a group work assignment.
F11: Writing example: \"Woman on a Roof\"
F14: More assignment examples
F16: Writing the literary essay (A handout for students)
F17: Topics covered in a writing course

F18: Plagiarism

F19: Paraphrasing and Rewriting.

I would like to start off the collection by quoting from two sources. The first one is from了哦望’s blog中国教师和美国教授的“茶馆问题”版本 . (Also read, here at Rainlane : 了哦望 中国教师和美国教授的“茶馆问题”版本 http://www.rainlane.com/dispbbs. ... id=21095&skin=0) I am not sure what this is, but my guess is that it is a writing and speaking workshop run by an American professor. You can read one correction by the professor at the link above, and the other’s at Leo’s blog at http://www.tcsol.com.cn/
The following is a quote from one of the participants of the workshop:

Teashop Questions for week1 ( Revised by an American Professor )作者:陳超

大傢需要註意的地方:

關于英文寫作,我发现很多中国学生出现了一个问题,就是冗余!不该说的话很多,比如这里就出现了,一些拍马屁的话,我承认这里属于style的方面,个人可能有个人的标准,但是一般来说,西方的写作注重简洁,直接,我非常高兴你们喜欢我们的“茶馆问题”但是“身体健康”或者“恭喜发财”的话,没有太大必要在作文里面写,这样可能会显得比较专业点!

(The part highlighted in blue is one that I have found in my experience with doing “revision requests.”)

The second quote is from 4ewriting. Please ignore the mistakes of the writer since we are here to discuss the problem of writing, not trying to revise his work. (The only word you have to chance to understand him is “calligraphy.” He probably wanted to say “words.”)

==

ljq_frank

http://www.4ewriting.com/bbs/dispbbs.asp?boardID=6&ID=3752 I took the IELTS examination in May and got a low score in writing ,but my speaking is not bad.After got the result, I was wondering, why there was a two points gap between writing and speaking? I concluded two possible reasons: First one is that my calligraph was too crabbed, the second one is that I used some recited sentences in my article. Then I asked my English teacher who was from Australia why I got a low score in writing. After he read my calligraph, he told me :it‘s nothing to do with my calligraphy ,the only possible reason was that I used the recited sentences which was very easy to be found by examiner. I read some articles about criteria for IELTS writing, which said In case the examiner found your writing have used some kind of pattern ,you could only get a 5. So I what to ask friends here, what means a pattern? How to avoid to use a pattern? Because the only way for us to learn standard English is to imitate, But you maybe get a 5 in IELTS exam if you use some kind of pattern. I looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

The part in blue reflects the problem of what most tutorial schools are doing: asking students to recite “sample essays” and to use “,万能范文,必背句子,写作加分必背句子。。。“ The problem is, most of those sentences are 冗余,
  and, from what I have been reading, many people are using them incorrectly: randomly or artificially putting them into their compositions. Moreover, quoting from the same source constitutes plagiarism: a concept many Chinese students have very low awareness of. In English speaking countries, such action would lead to having your work rejected. This is another reason why I know that story by Mr.Yu of New Oriental (about the Duke University student memorizing all 4 volumes of the New Concept in English, and the professor cried because he felt inadequate for never having memorized a book. That’s pure fantasy. Mr.Yu is being irresponsible for telling this fairy tale because he knew that students in China are not aware that university professors do not consider memorization as any great merit, but original work is.)

Happylins, who lives in Vancouver, replies to the post above with the following reminder:

Here is something more you might not have known: If you use the so called \"pattern\" too much in your essay, when studying in North America‘s universities, you will very likely be expelled. Why, see the link below for answers.

http://www.indiana.edu/~wts/wts/plagiarism.html

(The reference is about “plagiarism.”)

By the way, I worked for the committee to set up rules on plagiarism for a college about three decades ago, and I know how straight some professors are when it comes to plagiarism. Students are trained, from high school on, that all quotes must be probably cited (name of author, place of origin). Exceptions are things such as songs, well known poems, proverbs, Bible quotations etc.

So you see, the mindset is very different. In China, some (hopefully, not a lot) students are encouraged to write according to a set pattern; outside of China, the opposite happens.

That said. I must reiterate what I have said before. The CET4/6 writing exam is 30 minutes long. For many students, producing a 150 word essay within that period of time is an all but impossible task. I consider that as the modern day version of (曹值 七步成诗) 。It is understandable why many have to resort to “write by formula” by memorizing prefabricated blocks. Such is the result of an exam-oriented education. I wrote an essay about this “thoughts post CET-6 exam” and posted at a teacher’s website. To my surprise, some of the teachers have no idea of what I am questioning. They thought I did not know what a CET exam is for! http://www.rainlane.com/dispbbs. ... ID=21237&page=1

IIV: Course Outlines and Evaluations

When I went to university, few, if any, professors provide a course outline. By the time I taught for the first time in the United States, requirement for professors to hand out course outlines was just beginning to appear, but they were very sketchy outlines. When I was hired in 1970 to join a new college in Canada, the head of the department, who later became Dean of Science, was crazy about “detailed course outlines.” By the time my son went to college and university, detailed course outline had become mandatory. Many departments even demand their teachers to give out “evaluation schemes.”

Here are some examples.

Example I: Plan D’Etudes (Course Outline)

Course #: English 108, section 19 Prerequsites:None. Teachers: (two teachers teaching two different sections) Office:….Tel:….Office hours…

Course Title: Introduction to College English

Text: Rubenstein, Roberta and Charles R. Larson. Worlds of Fiction. Toronto: Maxwell MacMillan Canada, 1993.

Course Content/Description:

This course will involve a highly interactive and experimental approach to teaching and learning. Its purpose will be

(a) to provide transition from high school to college by exploring the demand of thinking, reading and writing at the college level;

(b) to encourage students to develop communication skills—reading accurately and thoughtfully, writing clearly and expressively;

( c ) to offer guidance and practice in writing college level essays.

Objectives:

The major objectives of this course are

(1) to provide an opportunity for each student to become a better and more independent learner;

(2) to help the student to communicate more effectively about all aspects of the learning experience.

The course will begin with students and teachers sharing views on the learning experience, on learning styles, on assessment of students’ needs and on expectation of both students and teachers for the course.

Through this process in the first weeks of the course, we will attempt to arrive at more specific objectives that suit the needs of students in the course.

Methodology:

Classes will involve a variety of methodologies as teachers and students explore various teaching and learning styles: critical thinking and workshops, teacher-led discussion, group discussions, collaborative learning groups, independent learning experiences, writing workshops, etc.

Evaluation:

Modes of evaluation and weighting will be arranged in consultation with students during the first weeks of the course. (*)

An important component of the final grade for each student in the course will be the student’s own assessment of the quality of learning experience once all the work in the course has been completed.

General Policy:

Policies in the course affecting such concerns as attendance, essay submission, plagiarism will be established in the first weeks of the course.

(* Yeti’s note: When my son took this course in 1993, it was offer for the first time. That is why so much is left for “discussion and development.” Established course usually have established evaluation schemes.)

(More to come. Meanwhile, feel free to add material from your own sources.)
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-1-11 09:05:10 | 显示全部楼层
看了要回帖,
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-9-23 13:23 , Processed in 0.129410 second(s), 5 queries , Redis On.