[复制链接]
发表于 2008-1-9 19:12:27 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
英语标点符号误用评析

Collected and Edited by 山定子
Original Posting is at:
http://www.rainlane.com/dispbbs. ... 11&star=1#22611

01. 句号的误用

残缺句
残缺句(fragment)指的是不完整的句子,但却以句子的面貌出现。(注:误句前冠以“*”号)
*When I have finished my homework.

虽然含一个主谓结构,但它只是一个从句,不是一个完整句子,不该用句号。若具有一定上下文,如出现在对话中,这样使用句号是允许的。例如:When can we go for a walk? When I have finished my homework. 但在写作中一般应避免这种用法。

*If you come tomorrow.
意思不完整,话只说了一半,而无后文。应把句子补全了再加句号。
If you come tomorrow, you can talk with him in person.

*He found himself unable to read the document. Having forgotten his glasses.
分词短语应当是前面句子的一部分,故不能用句号分隔。应改为:
Having forgotten his glasses, he found himself unable to read the document.

*He didn't come to class yesterday. Because he got a bad cold.
because是从属连词,引导的只是一个从句,不能单独成句,不能用句号断开。应改为:
He didn't come to class yesterday, because he got a bad cold.

连写句
连写句(run-on sentence)指的是两个或更多的句子连接在一起,不加任何标点符号,从而造成句子结构混乱和意义模糊。
*The show begins at 7:30 make sure you're there before 7:15.
该例的后一部分是个完整的祈使句,虽然它与前一部分意思相连,但仍应用句号断开,应改为:
The show begins at 7:30. Make sure you're there before 7:15.
或者改用逗号再添上 so,使句子前后连贯:
The show begins at 7:30, so make sure you're there before 7:15.

*The head of state and the religious leader were often the same person all power rested in one ruler.
该例虽然前后部分意思相连,但句中因缺少标点而显得层次不清,影响意思的表达。应改为:
The head of state and the religious leader were often the same person. All power rested in one ruler.
或者中间加上分号,以表示前后两部分意思密切相关:
The head of state and the religious leader were often the same person; all power rested in one ruler.

*The night was cold we forgot to bring our coats.
该例有两种改法:一是用句号将其断开,分成两个独立的句子:
The night was cold. We forgot to bring our coats.
另一种是加上逗号,再加上并列连词 and 使其成为同一个句子的两个分句:
The night was cold, and we forgot to bring our coats.

*The ink dried quickly this makes writing easier.
该例由于缺少标点,意思有些含糊,应改为:
The ink dried quickly. This makes writing easier.

*We live in a rapidly changing world we must keep up with new advances in technology.
该例具有两个独立的主谓结构,应当分为两个句子:
We live in a rapidly changing world. We must keep up with new advances in technology.
或者一并加上逗号和连词 so,将句子改为:
We live in a rapidly changing world, so we must keep up with new advances in technology.

02. 叹号的误用

陈述句尾重复使用感叹号
*Example 1:
Dan,
  I am so busy right now with all my classes!!! I can't believe how much I have to do and I can't even imagine when I will be able to have some fun again!!! My roommates and I went to the store to go shopping and guess who we saw!!! My best friend from freshman year and she had a guy by her side!!! There married!!!! Can you beliveve it!! It is so crazy that she got married and didn't even tell me except for in the store, but you know what I mean! I hope you're having fun at work and stuff.

例1的问题在于感叹号用的过多多滥。全文共有7处用了感叹号,而且许多处都是多个并用。作者意在表达强烈的个人感情,但使用过度,难以收到预期的效果。除第5处可用感叹号之外,其余均应改为其它的标点符号:
Dan,
  I am so busy right now with all my classes. I can't believe how much I have to do and I can't even imagine when I will be able to have some fun again. My roommates and I went to the store to go shopping and guess who we saw? My best friend from freshman year and she had a guy by her side. There married! Can you beliveve it? It is so crazy that she got married and didn't even tell me except for in the store, but you know what I mean. I hope you're having fun at work and stuff.

语气舒缓的陈述句误用了感叹号
*I finally got the right answer to the question!
*You are absolutely right!
*No one knows where he has gone!

以上三例均属语气舒缓的陈述句,宜改为句号,而不用感叹号。

语气舒缓的祈使句误用了感叹号
*Come early tomorrow morning if you can!
*Have another piece of cake!
*Let's start now!

以上三例虽然都是祈使句,但语气温和舒缓,均应表示“请求”或“建议”而非命令。因此,不宜用感叹句,而应改用句号。

主从句之间误用了感叹号
*Because he doesn't like violence! He will not go to the movies.
*When he lost his job! He lost heart.
*Unless you tell me the truth! I won't go with you.
*If it is possiple! Why don't you try it yourself?

以上本例均应属于主从复合句,但从句与主句的分隔都用了感叹号,这是不正确的。感叹号是句尾标号,不宜用在从句之后。故上述用了感叹号的地方均应改为逗号。

间接引语句尾用了感叹号
*The general told them on Monday that the battle had to be completely won!
*My English teacher warned me not to write compositions that way!

当“命令”或“警告”被转引之后变成间接引语时,其句式就发生了变化,即它由原来的祈使句变成了陈述句。因此,句尾应该用句号,而不宜用感叹号。如果将它们复原为祈使句,则使用感叹号是可以的。
The general ordered, \"The battle must be completely won!\"
My English teacher warned, \"Don't write compositions that way!\"

03 问号的误用
在以疑问词引导的宾语从句尾误用问号
*I can't remember where he lives now?
*He asked me who would help us with the work?
*My sister refused to tell me when she would be back?
*David wondered if his grandmother would bring him a birthday present?
*The soldiers don't know what will happen in that area?

以上五例虽含疑问词,但形式上都是陈述句,不宜用问号,应改为句号。

在以疑问词引导的主语从句中误用问号
*Who will be in charge of this project is still a question?
*When he will leave for America is still unknown?
*Why Mary refused to take the job really puzzles me?
*What you can do with this problem gives your colleagues much confidence?

以上四例均属陈述句,句中疑问词仅起到引导主语从句的作用,丧失了疑问的功能。因此,句尾全部都应使用句号。

04. 逗号的误用

逗号不该用而用
逗号不该用而用是指在句子内部没有停顿的地方用了逗号,结果把句子搞得支离破碎,甚至影响了意思的表达。
*(1) That handsome man in a blue tie, is the groom.
*(2) The most important attribute of a ball player, is quick reflex actions.
*(3) An eighteen-year old in California, is now considered an adult.
*(4) The idea that you shoul report every obsevation, is wrong.
*(5) Many of the characters who dominate the early chapters and then disappear, are portraits of the author's friends.
*(6) Preparing and submitting his report to the committee for evaluation and possible publication, was one of the most difficult tasks Bill had ever attempted.
*(7) Extracting the most profit for the least expenditure on labor and material, is the primary goal of a capitalist.
*(8) To start a new business without doing market research and long-term planning in advance, would be foolish.

例(1)至例(8)中的主语和谓语之间不应该有停顿,所以不能用逗号分隔。例(3)至例(5)的主语较长,因为它们后面接了定语从句。尽管如此,它们与主句的谓语是一个整体,不应该用逗号断开。在汉语中,有时如果句子的主语部分较长,它可以与其谓语部分用逗号隔开。但在英语中,这种情况是不允许的。例(7)是用分词结构短语作主语,例(8)是以动词不定式短语作主语,这样的结构容易与分词结构和动词不定式结构作状语相混淆,从而可能导致在主语后误加逗号。以上句子中的逗号均应去掉。

*(9) A dozen wooden chairs, and a window that admits a shaft of light complete the stage setting.
*(10) He composed several successful symphonies, and became a world-famous composer.
*(11) The agent reported to the headquarters staff, that the documents had been traced to and underground garage.
*(12) This research group has devised a new system of astronomy, and a seientific approach to the study of geography.

例(9)是两个并列名词词组作主语,中间不宜用逗号分开。例(10)是两个并列动词词组作谓语,中间也不宜用逗号隔开。例(11)中 that 引导的宾语从句不应该与谓语动词断开。例(12)是两个并列名词词组作宾语,中间不宜用逗号隔开。以上四句中的逗号均应去掉。

*(13) The boy ran, fast.
*(14) A yellow book was put, on the top shelf.
*(15) The old lady laughed, loudly.

例(13)至例(15)中的动词和副词以及介词短语之间关系密切,它们是修饰和被修饰的关系,中间不应该停顿,所以不能用逗号分开。以上三句中的逗号均应去掉。

*(16) Nona thought of the crew members, who worked from dawn to dusk, but whose lives seemed free and joyful.
*(17) She broadens her analysis by exploring the tragic elements of the play, and by integrating the hunting motif with the themes of death and resurrection.
*(18) The farmhouse stood on top of a hill, and just beyond the Silver Creek Bridge.

以上三例中均含两个并列结构,它们前后关系密切,不宜用逗号分开(去掉逗号)。

逗号该用而不用
*(19) After a day's work he was very tired and he went to bed without saying good night to his parents.
*(20) He hunted in the woods and she fished in the streams.
*(21) His son was naughty but that is not our business.
*(22) Wear your jacket or you will catch cold.
*(23) It was strong yet it was not unpleasant.

在面的句子都含用两个并列分句,它们之间应当有一定的停顿,应当用逗号分隔,应改为:
(19a) After a day's work he was very tired, and he went to bed without saying good night to his parents.
(20a) He hunted in the woods, and she fished in the streams.
(21a) His son was naughty, but that is not our business.
(22a) Wear your jacket, or you will catch cold.
(23a) It was strong, yet it was not unpleasant.

*(24) As President Canfield had been a great success.
*(25) For the most part children love their parents.
*(26) Outside the lawn was cluttered with hundreds of broken branches.
*(27) When I turned forty three people congratulated me.
*(28) A few days before I saw him at the store.
*(29) Walking to work Jim stopped for coffee at the diner.
*(30) However you may not be satisfied with the results.
*(31) While I was eating the cat scratched at the door.
*(32) To George Harrison has been a sort of idol.

因为句中无标点,例(24)至例(32)容易产生歧义,造成误解。所以有必要将句首的状语成分和句子的后续部分用逗号隔开,以使句子的意思明白清晰。
(24a) As President, Canfield had been a great success.
(25a) For the most part, children love their parents.
(26a) Outside, the lawn was cluttered with hundreds of broken branches.
(27a) When I turned forty, three people congratulated me.
(28a) A few days before, I saw him at the store.
(29a) Walking to work, Jim stopped for coffee at the diner.
(30a) However, you may not be satisfied with the results.
(31a) While I was eating, the cat scratched at the door.
(32a) To George, Harrison has been a sort of idol.

*(33) The Phone line, which was instaled two weeks ago had to be disconnected.
*(34) The task to be performed adequately, requires great concentration.
*(35) George whose brother is my classmate is the chairman of the committee.
*(36) His article which covered more than twelve pages, concluded with a quotation from Kennedy.
*(37) The task was divided among his colleagues a great part of whom lack experience.
*(38) He took a train to London where he hoped to find a job.
*(39) The story took palce in 1941 when the Pacific War broke out.

非限制性定语从句一般用于解释或补充说明前面提到过的人或事,它与先行词的关系比较松散,一般用逗号将其隔开。试区分限制性和非限制性定语从句之间的差别:[限制性定语从句] The girls who were cold put their coats on.(感觉冷的姑娘们穿上了上衣。)该句的言外之意是:Only some of the girls put their coats on. 即只有那些感觉到冷的姑娘们穿上了上衣,其他人并没有穿。[非限制性定语从句] The girls, who were cold, put their coats on.(姑娘们都感觉到冷,所以她们都穿上了上衣。)该句的意思是所有的姑娘都穿上了上衣,因为她们感觉冷。例(33)至例(39)都是含非限制性定语从句的句子,但其中有的只用了一个逗号,有的一个逗号也没用。这都是错误的,应改为:
(33a) The Phone line, which was instaled two weeks ago, had to be disconnected.
(3a4) The task, which is to be performed adequately, requires great concentration.
(35a) George, whose brother is my classmate, is the chairman of the committee.
(36a) His article, which covered more than twelve pages, concluded with a quotation from Kennedy.
(37a) The task was divided among his colleagues, a great part of whom lack experience.
(38a) He took a train to London, where he hoped to find a job.
(39a) The story took palce in 1941, when the Pacific War broke out.

*(40) The case, nevertheless was closed.
*(41) She will see if she has any sense at all, that he is right.
*(42) Note for example, the excellent brushwork.
*(43) John, my friend will do what he can.
*(44) Tom will you please do me a favor?
*(45) Our teacher David Glenn was having a meeting in his office.
*(46) I wish, Sandra you would do it.
*(47) April 10, 2003 is agreeable as a date for final payment.
*(48) The Car, an ancient Packard is still running.
*(49) In each box however, a bottle was broken.

句中的插入语或呼语部分应当与句子的其他成分断开。因此,例(40)至例(49)中应该适当加上逗号,以使句子的意思更加清楚:
(40a) The case, nevertheless, was closed.
(41a) She will see, if she has any sense at all, that he is right.
(42a) Note, for example, the excellent brushwork.
(43a) John, my friend, will do what he can.
(44a) Tom, will you please do me a favor?
(45a) Our teacher, David Glenn, was having a meeting in his office.
(46a) April 10, 2003, is agreeable as a date for final payment.
(47a) I wish, Sandra, you would do it.
(48a) The Car, an ancient Packard, is still running.
(49a) In each box, however, a bottle was broken.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-1-9 19:14:41 | 显示全部楼层
05. 分号的误用

分号主要表示复句内部并列分句之间的停顿。有时,也用于分隔已有逗号的并列成分。分号使得两个或三个以上的句子连成一个意思复杂的句子成为可能。小于句子结构的成分不能用分号分隔。用分号的地方可以用句号代替,但不能用逗号。

分号该用而没用
*(1) I am going home, I intend to stay there.
*(2) It rained heavily during the afternoon, we managed to have our picnic anyway.
*(3) They couldn't make it to the summit and back before dark, they decided to cmp for the night.
*(4) He often watched TV when there were only reruns, she preferred to read instead.
*(5) They weren't dangerous criminals, they were detectives in disguise.
*(6) The hill was covered with wildflowers, it was a beautiful sight.
*(7) The house was clean, the table set, and the porch light on, everything was ready for the guests' arrival.

以上各例都是由两个并列分句构成的复句,分句之间应该用分号,而不能用逗号分隔。

*(8) The computer could perform millions of operations in a split second, however, it could not think spontaneously.
*(9) The snowstorm lasted a whole day, subsequently, the airport was closed.
*(10) Dalian is my favorite city, in fact, I plan to spend two weeks there this summer.
*(11) Jack worked overtime to pay off his education debts, at least, that was his explanation for his long hours.
*(12) I had to complete the assignment by Friday, otherwise, I would have failed the course.
*(13) The library was closed during the holiday, therefore I could not borrow the books.
*(14) Mother did not scold me at all, indeed, she hardly seemed to be listening as I explained about the damage.
*(15) The new employee quit after a week, apparently, the pressure was too great for him.
*(16) We already received your report, therefore, the follow-up mailing is unnecessary.

尽管例(8)至例(16)都是含连接词的并列复句,其逻辑关系清楚,但在连接词的前面,也就是在第一个分句之后,应该用分号,而不能用逗号。应改为:

(8a) The computer could perform millions of operations in a split second; however, it could not think spontaneously.

(9a) The snowstorm lasted a whole day; subsequently, the airport was closed.

(10a) Dalian is my favorite city; in fact, I plan to spend two weeks there this summer.

(11a) Jack worked overtime to pay off his education debts; at least, that was his explanation for his long hours.

(12a) I had to complete the assignment by Friday; otherwise, I would have failed the course.

(13a) The library was closed during the holiday; therefore I could not borrow the books.

(14a) Mother did not scold me at all; indeed, she hardly seemed to be listening as I explained about the damage.

(15a) The new employee quit after a week; apparently, the pressure was too great for him.

(16a) We already received your report; therefore, the follow-up mailing is unnecessary.

例(17)和例(18)的句子结构较复杂。并列连词 and 的前后是独立的分句,但例(17)中的两个分句和例(18)中的第一个分句都是以复句的形式出现。这样,分句之间就应该用分号,而不能用逗号。应改为:

(17a) If she can, she will attempt that feat; and if her husband is able, he will be there to see her.
(18a) When I finish here, I will be glad to help you; and that is a promise I will keep.

如果把上面两个句子的连接词去掉,并且改用句号把两个分句完全断开,使之成为两个独立的单句,这样做也是合理的。当你难以判断到底该用逗号还是用分号时,可采用此方法鉴别。

(17b) If she can, she will attempt that feat. If her husband is able, he will be there to see her.
(18b) When I finish here, I will be glad to help you. That is a promise I will keep.

*(19) Members of the band include Harold Rostein, clarinetist, Tony Aluppo, tuba player, and Lee Jefferson, trumpeter.
*(20) There were citizens from Bangor, Maine, Hartford, Connecticut, Boston, Massachusettes, and Newport, Rhode Island.

例(19)和例(20)多处用了逗号,但句子成分之间的关系仍不够明确,有些地方应改用分号。

(19a) Members of the band include Harold Rostein, clarinetist; Tony Aluppo, tuba player; and Lee Jefferson, trumpeter.
(20a) There were citizens from Bangor, Maine; Hartford, Connecticut; Boston, Massachusettes; and Newport, Rhode Island.

分号不该用而用
*(21) Although gaining and maintaining a high level of physical fitness takes a good deal of time; the effort pays off in the long run.
*(22) Michael decided to quit the job which his brother had recommended; because he felt tired most of the time.

例(21)和例(22)是主从复合句,主句与从句的分隔应当用逗号,而不能用分号。

*(23) The economy has been sluggish for four years now; but some signs of improvement are finally beginning to show.

例(23)是并列复句,连接词 but 前应该用逗号,而不应该用分号。

*(24) The man walked quietly into the room, slowly; and carefully closing the door behind him.
*(25) The other man, David Johnson, refused to make comments; and left immediately.
*(26) The breakfast consisted of fruit juice; a boiled egg; two slices of toast; and a cup of coffee.

例(24)至例(26)都是单句,单句中并列成分的分隔应该用逗号,而不能用分号。但如果用了连接词 and,那么它前面的逗号就可以省略。以上三例宜改为:
(24a) The man walked quietly into the room, slowly and carefully closing the door behind him.
(25a) The other man, David Johnson, refused to make comments and left immediately.
(26a) The breakfast consisted of fruit juice, a boiled egg, two slices of toast, and a cup of coffee.

*(27) The person we need; the person we have been waiting for, is someone adequately trained in business management.

例(27)的主语由两个并列词组担任,其内部各嵌入了一个定词从句,但它们并不是独立的分句。因此,词组间的分隔不应该用分号,应改为逗号。

*(28) Susan Fenton, who used to work with me; has moved to New York, where she has found a new job.

例(28)的主语后面跟的是非限制性定词从句。该从句后面应该用逗号,而不应该用分号。

*(29) Aaron asked the counselor if there were many job opportunities for music teachers; and if he would have to leave the province to get a good position.

例(29)的宾语是由连接词 if 引导的从句充当,但两个并列的从句之间不宜用分号断开,况且后一个从句前又有连词 and 相接,所以应将分号删去。

*(30) I had been aware that they sometimes disagreed violently; particularly over how to educate their children.

例(30)分号前后的两部分不是两个并列的分句。因此,这里用分号是错误的,应改为逗号。

06. 冒号的误用

冒号用于提示性话语之后的停顿。它的前面一般是独立的分句,后面接例举的事物或解释性话语。有人说:The colon is a greenlight; the semicolon is a stop sign.(冒号是绿灯,分号是停止标志。)其意思是,冒号指引读者继续读下去,而分号表示在此停止。后者的作用与句号类似,一般在用分号的地方也都可用句号代替。但无论如何,句子的主语和谓语之间,谓语和宾语之间,系动词与表语之间都不应该用冒号分隔。

*(1) John and Mary: went out togethr.
*(2) The driver and three men in the car: were killed in the accident.

以上两例的主语与谓语之间的冒号应删去。

*(3) We found: an empty bottle, a lighter, and an ashtray in the corner of the room.
*(4) He gave me: two apples, three peaches, and some grapes.
*(5) The daily newspaper contains: news, sports, entertainment, and classified ads.

例(3)至例(5)用冒号将谓语和宾语分离,这是错误的,应该把冒号删去,或者添加适当的词把句子改为:

(3a) We found three things in the corner of the room: an empty bottle, a lighter, and an ashtray.
(4a) He gave me some fruit: two apples, three peaches, and some grapes.
(5a) The daily newspaper contains four sections: news, sports, entertainment, and classified ads.

*(6) The Mayor was soon working harmoniously with: the Police Officers Association, the District Attorney's office, and the Mafia.
*(7) We traveled to: London, Wales and Scotland.
*(8) Sam participated in: tennis, golf, and gymnastics.

例(6)至例(8)的介词与其宾语分离,应该将冒号去掉,加上适当的词把句子改成:

(6a) The Mayor was soon working harmoniously with three bodies: the Police Officers Association, the District Attorney's office, and the Mafia.
(7a) We traveled to three places: London, Wales and Scotland.
(8a) Sam participated in three sports: tennis, golf, and gymnastics.

*(9) The tools we need are: a plane, a level, and a T-square.
*(10) His purpose was: to leave, to abandon them.
*(11) Her three goals are: to improve her public speaking skills, to increase her self-confidence and to sharpen her sales techniques.

例(9)至例(11)的系动词与表语之间不能用冒号断开,因为它们是一个不可分割的整体。应该将冒号删去,改为:

(9a) The tools we need are a plane, a level, and a T-square.
(10a) His purpose was to leave, to abandon them.
(11a) Her three goals are to improve her public speaking skills, to increase her self-confidence and to sharpen her sales techniques.

07. 破折号的误用

破折号的用法较多,但不能随意用它来代替其他的标点符号。应该用破折号时不可不用,但不该用破折号的地方切忌滥用,以免造成句子结构破碎和意思混乱。解释说明的话语可以用破折号或圆括号标示。但两者的区别在于:破折号标示的是正文的一部分,不可省略,否则就会影响句子的完整;圆括号标示的是附加部分,若省去了,也不会影响语句的完整。常见的错误有下列两种。

A. 不应该使用破折号而用
*(1) The regulations—which were issued yesterday—had been anticipated for months.
*(2) Many candidates applied—however, only one was chosen.
*(3) When we could stand it no longer—we called to find out when they were coming.
*(4) The athletes were marching in as a group—smiling excitedly at the spectators in the stadium.
*(5) On our farm we grow—wheat, soybeans, alfalfa, and corn.
*(6) Various kinds of dictionaries and encyclopedias—are available in the reading room.
*(7) According to the weather forecast—there will be a snow-storm tomorow in Northern China.
*(8) To some of you, my suggestion is—that you should keep on trying.
*(9) The American writer—James Thurber, wrote many humorous stories.
*(10) He struggled against financial difficulties—and later filed for bankruptcy.

以上10例均不应该使用破折号。例(1)的非限制性定语从句本应当用逗号分隔;例(2)是分号误用成破折号;例(3)的状语从句后应改用逗号;例(4)分词短语前本应该用逗号;例(5)谓语和宾语之间不能分隔,破折号应删去;例(6)主语和系动词之间关系密切,不能分开,破折号应删去;例(7)介词短语后应该用逗号;例(8)系动词和表语从句之间没有必要用标点符号,破折号应删去;例(9)主语和同位语之间应改用逗号;例(10)连词前后是两个并列动词短语,它们之间关系密切,破折号应删去。现将上面对面10句分别改正如下:

(1a) The regulations, which were issued yesterday, had been anticipated for months.
(2a) Many candidates applied; however, only one was chosen.
(3a) When we could stand it no longer, we called to find out when they were coming.
(4a) The athletes were marching in as a group, smiling excitedly at the spectators in the stadium.
(5a) On our farm we grow wheat, soybeans, alfalfa, and corn.
(6a) Various kinds of dictionaries and encyclopedias are available in the reading room.
(7a) According to the weather forecast, there will be a snow-storm tomorow in Northern China.
(8a) To some of you, my suggestion is that you should keep on trying.
(9a) The American writer, James Thurber, wrote many humorous stories.
(10a) He struggled against financial difficulties and later filed for bankruptcy.

B. 应该使用破折号而没用
*(11) Hot dogs, apple pies, and Mom: these are the traditional American symbols.
*(12) In the zoo we saw tigers, bears, monkeys, crocodiles; and many visitors.
*(13) I noticed that the tulips, dusty, faded, slightly rubbery, were not real.
*(14) Last week my daughter phoned to say that she had bought a new pet: a trained armadillo.
*(15) Whenever I eat those green apples, I get sick, really sick.
*(16) She displayed apples, oranges, grapes; all beautifully arranged.
*(17) The people who knew Besty most intimately: her doctor, her pharmacist, and her lawyer, were eager to know what she would try next.
*(18) To some of you, my proposals may seem radical, even revolutionary.
*(19) I think you would look fine wearing either the silk blouse, the one with the blue pattern or the angora sweater.
*(20) The idea of returning to the basics in the classroom: a notion which incidetaly has been quietly supported for years by many respected teachers, is finally gaining some currency with school administrators.

以上10例均属于本应该用破折号之列,但遗憾的是,都没用。例(11)是冒号误用成破折号;例(12)分号误用成破折号,无法突显特殊的效果;例(13)的插入语没有用破折号断开,句子显得凌乱;例(14)的冒号应改用破折号,以表示强调;例(15)语句重复的部分是为了增强语义,因此有必要用破折号;例(16)后半部分是对前半部分的总结,因此应删去分号,改用破折号;例(17)主语的同位语部分过长,为使句子结构清晰,宜使用破折号将其断开;例(18)表示强调的部分应该用破折号将其断开;例(19)的插入语部分过长,前后最好用破折号分开;例(20)的同位语结构复杂,宜用破折号标示,这样便于理解,不至于造成误解。现将以上误句改正如下:

(11a) Hot dogs, apple pies, and Mom—these are the traditional American symbols.
(12a) In the zoo we saw tigers, bears, monkeys, crocodiles—and many visitors.
(13a) I noticed that the tulips—dusty, faded, slightly rubbery—were not real.
(14a) Last week my daughter phoned to say that she had bought a new pet—a trained armadillo.
(15a) Whenever I eat those green apples, I get sick—really sick.
(16a) She displayed apples, oranges, grapes—all beautifully arranged.
(17a) The people who knew Besty most intimately—her doctor, her pharmacist, and her lawyer—were eager to know what she would try next.
(18a) To some of you, my proposals may seem radical—even revolutionary.
(19a) I think you would look fine wearing either the silk blouse—the one with the blue pattern—or the angora sweater.
(20a) The idea of returning to the basics in the classroom—a notion which incidetaly has been quietly supported for years by many respected teachers—is finally gaining some currency with school administrators.

08. 圆括号的误用

圆括号的作用在于将注释的词语括起来,使之与正文隔开。因此,用不用圆括号,取决于用不用注释。常见的错误有以下几种。

A. 不用解释的话语用了圆括号
有的语句在行文中很容易理解,根本用不着解释说明;还有的语句本身就是句子中必不可少的组成部分,这些情况都没有必要使用圆括号。

*(1) I am expecting five hundred dollars ($500) from my parents.

*(2) He finally replied (answered) that he did not understand the question.

*(3) The kids said they wanted to become Galileo (Italian astronomer) and Madame Curie (Polish physicist) in the future.

*(4) Suppose at the distance of the earth from the sun there was a shell of ice 426 feet (thick).

*(5) We need a telephone operator (who can think quickly, remember not to leave people on hold, and handle complaints from the public).

例(1)至例(3)没有必要用圆括号对这些词语进行解释,应将圆括号连同里边的词语删去。例(4)和例(5)括号内的词语属于句子的一部分,不可缺少。如果用了圆括号,则表示括号内的成分是可有可无的。因此,这里不应该用圆括号。上面五例应改为:

(1a) I am expecting five hundred dollars from my parents.

(2a) He finally replied that he did not understand the question.

(3a) The kids said they wanted to become Galileo and Madame Curie in the future.

(4a) Suppose at the distance of the earth from the sun there was a shell of ice 426 feet.

(5a) We need a telephone operator who can think quickly, remember not to leave people on hold, and handle complaints from the public.

B. 应该用圆括号而未用
解释性的词语应该用括号而不用,或使用了其他标点符号,都是错误的。

*(6) My Military Occupational Specialty, MOS, was helicopter maintenance.

*(7) The huge bouquet of roses, imitation, no doubt, sat in the corner of the darkened room.

*(8) Volkswagen, the name means "people's car," sells well on Cina's market.

*(9) Many people, old, young, and in between, are beginning to wonder about their chances for a secure retirement.

*(10) Words that confuse, "effect" and "affect", should be used with care.

例(6)的缩略语MOS前后的逗号应删去,加上圆括号;例(7)中的 imitation,no doubt 和例(8)中的 the name means "people's car" 都属于解释性话语,应该删去逗号,改用圆括号;例(9)中的 old,young,and in between 是补充的信息,也应该用圆括号;例(10)中的 "effect" and "affect" 是举例,要用圆括号标注。现将上面错误改正如下:

(6a) My Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) was helicopter maintenance.

(7a) The huge bouquet of roses (imitation, no doubt) sat in the corner of the darkened room.

(8a) Volkswagen (the name means "people's car) sells well on Cina's market.

(9a) Many people (old, young, and in between) are beginning to wonder about their chances for a secure retirement.

(10a) Words that confuse ("effect" and "affect") should be used with care.

C. 圆括号内外标点符号的误用
圆括号可分为句内括号和句外括号,括号之内和括号前后标点符号的使用,要视具体情况而定。

*(11) These conditions (graphed in government publications, see Appendix I) exist mainly in the Northwest.

*(12) Thirty-five years after his death, Robert Frost (We remember him at Kennedy's inauguration.) remains America's favorite poet.

*(13) Thirty-five years after his death, Robet Frost (Do you remember him?) remains America's favorite poet.

*(14) Thirty-five years after his death, Robet Frost remains America's favorite poet (we remember him at Kennedy's inauguration).

*(15) General Douglas MacArthur (We shall return.) accomplished his prediction in October, 1944, when American forces invaded the Japanese-held Philippines.

*(16) Besty soaked her feet in the river and reached into her backpack for a book. (It was Think Your Blisters Away, by Dr. Lincoln Dollar.) Becoming absorbed in reading, she absent-mindedly swallowed a packet of biscuits.

*(17) When the policemen arrived on the scene (It was too late!) the thieves had run away.

*(18) Although the company had not expected a significant yield from the new well (they had drilled it only as an experiment,) it produced a thousand barrels a day.

例(11)中的解释性话语分两个层次。第一层次应该用破折号,第二层次用圆括号。宜改为:
(11a) These conditions—graphed in government publications (see Appendix I)—exist mainly in the Northwest.

例(12)所用的圆括号属于句内括号,括号内的句号应该删去,首字母应当改为小写。
(12a) Thirty-five years after his death, Robert Frost (we remember him at Kennedy's inauguration) remains America's favorite poet.

例(13)用的是句内圆括号,句尾的问号可保留,但首字母宜改为小写。
(13a) Thirty-five years after his death, Robet Frost (do you remember him?) remains America's favorite poet.

例(14)用的是句外圆括号,句号应点在括号内。
(14a) Thirty-five years after his death, Robet Frost remains America's favorite poet. (We remember him at Kennedy's inauguration.)

例(15)圆括号内引用的是麦卡瑟将军的原话,应当加上引号,去掉句号。
(15a) General Douglas MacArthur ("We shall return") accomplished his prediction in October, 1944, when American forces invaded the Japanese-held Philippines.

例(16)圆括号内的书名应该用斜体,句号放在括号之内,因为它是句外括号。
(16a) Besty soaked her feet in the river and reached into her backpack for a book. (It was Think Your Blisters Away, by Dr. Lincoln Dollar.) Becoming absorbed in reading, she absent-mindedly swallowed a packet of biscuits.

例(17)圆括号内的感叹号可保留,但首字母宜改为小写,括号外应加上逗号。
(17a) When the policemen arrived on the scene (it was too late!), the thieves had run away.

例(18)圆括号内的逗号应放在括号之外。
(18a) Although the company had not expected a significant yield from the new well (they had drilled it only as an experiment), it produced a thousand barrels a day.

09. 方括号的误用

方括号表示插入的文字属于个人的解释或是对原文的修正。圆括号不能代替方括号,因为前者是原文的一部分。如果圆括号内另有插入的文字,该部分宜用方括号标注。

*(1) Byro had already suggested that the gentlement of the Quarterly Review
  (especially Croker) had killed John Keats.

*(2) “My personal idols,” said the forty-four-year-old defendant, “are Jerry (Rubin) and Abbie (Hoffman).”

*(3) She said, “At the meeting, he (Pearson) spoke out against the proposal.”

*(4) (For further information, see Donald Allenberg, The Future of Television (New York, 1973), 15-16.)

*(5) He thinks that Castro would have accepted an invitation if he had been offered one [Cuba and Castro (New York: Random House, 1961), p.207].

*(6) The sect known as the Jansenists (after Cornelius Jansen, 1585-1683) faced opposition from both the king and the pope.

例(1)至例(3)的圆括号应改成方括号,因为这部分文字是引述者个人所加,而不是原文就有的。

(1a) Byro had already suggested that the gentlement of the Quarterly Review
  [especially Croker] had killed John Keats..

(2a) “My personal idols,” said the forty-four-year-old defendant, “are Jerry [Rubin] and Abbie [Hoffman].”

(3a) She said, “At the meeting, he [Pearson] spoke out against the proposal.”

例(4)中圆括号内的圆括号应改用方括号。

(4a) (For further information, see Donald Allenberg, The Future of Television [New York, 1973], 15-16.)

例(5)的方括号应改成圆括号,而圆括号应改为方括号。

(5a) He thinks that Castro would have accepted an invitation if he had been offered one (Cuba and Castro [New York: Random House, 1961], p.207).

例(6)圆括号内的日期应该用方括号标注,删去逗号。

(6a) The sect known as the Jansenists (after Cornelius Jansen [1585-1683]) faced opposition from both the king and the pope.

10. 引号的误用

引号通常有三种作用:1.表示直接引用他人的话语;2.表示特殊含义;3.标示短篇作品的名称。

1)引号不该用而用
引号可以标示具有特殊含义的词语,但对没有特殊含义的词语使用引号,那就犯了不该用而用的错误。

*(1) It is "bad manners" to speak with your mouth full at the banquet.

*(2) I knew that President Nixon would "resign" that morning, because my sister-in-law worked in the "White House" and she called me with the news.

*(3) An "unusual present" was given to him for his birthday: a book on ethics.

以上句子中引号标示的词语表示的都是它们的本义,没有特殊含义,所以没有必要加上引号。加上引号,反而容易使人产生误解,应该将引号去掉。

2)引号该用而不用

*(4) The radio is too loud, Elizabeth complained, and she then stalked back to her room.

*(5)Did you really say to Ronald, You're my best friend?

*(6) John said to me, Margaret is very clever.

注意分辨例4至例6中直接引用的部分,直接引语应加上引号,不加引号是错误的。应将它们改正如下:

(4a) "The radio is too loud," Elizabeth complained, and she then stalked back to her room.

(5a)Did you really say to Ronald, "You're my best friend? "

(6a) John said to me, "Margaret is very clever."

3)引语末尾标点符号的误用

*(7) Did she say, "What time is it?"?

当句尾问号重叠时,只保留一个问号。例7应改为:

(7a) Did she say, "What time is it?"

*(8)"If you're going out," he said. "Will you pick up some milk?"

例8引语的前半部分是条件句,不是完整的句子,所以he said 的后面应该用逗号,后半部分引语的首字母应该小写。

(8a)"If you're going out," he said, "will you pick up some milk?"

*(9)"I should like to buy an egg, please," she said timidly, "how do you sell them"?

例9前半部分引语是意思完整的句子。因此,在she said timidly的后面应该用句号。后半部分引语也是完整的句子,所以首字母应大写,问号应放在引号之内。

(9a)"I should like to buy an egg, please," she said timidly. "How do you sell them?"

*(10)What do you mean, "I never sent the invitations."?

句号是句子的终结号,所以它的后面不宜再跟问号。例10引号前面的句号应删去,只保留句尾的问号。

(10a)What do you mean, "I never sent the invitations"?
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-9-23 11:23 , Processed in 0.147969 second(s), 5 queries , Redis On.