找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
查看: 616|回复: 0

[[资源推荐]] Phrasal Verbs

[复制链接]
发表于 2007-12-26 22:04:45 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Phrasal verbs are part of a large group of verbs called \"multi-word verbs\". Phrasal verbs and other multi-word verbs are an important part of the English language. Multi-word verbs, including phrasal verbs, are very common, especially in spoken English. A multi-word verb is a verb like \"pick up\", \"turn on\" or \"get on with\". For convenience, many people refer to all multi-word verbs as phrasal verbs. These verbs consist of a basic verb + another word or words. The other word(s) can be prepositions and/or adverbs. The two or three words that make up multi-word verbs form a short \"phrase\"—which is why these verbs are often all called \"phrasal verbs\".
The important thing to remember is that a multi-word verb is still a verb. \"Get\" is a verb. \"Get up\", is also a verb, a different verb. \"Get\" and \"get up\" are two different verbs. They do not have the same meaning. So you should treat each multi-word verb as a separate verb, and learn it like any other verb. Look at these examples. You can see that there are three types of multi-word verb:
single-word verb
look
direct your eyes in a certain direction
You must look before you leap.
multi-word verbs
look after
take care of
prepositional verbs
Who is looking after the baby?
look up
search for and find information in a reference book
phrasal verbs
You can look up my number in the telephone directory.
look forward to
anticipate with pleasure
phrasal-prepositional verbs
I look forward to meeting you.
In this lesson we look at the three types of multi-word verbs, including phrasal verbs, followed by a quiz to check your understanding:
Phrasal Verbs
Phrasal verbs are a group of multi-word verbs made from a verb plus another word or words. Many people refer to all multi-word verbs as phrasal verbs. On these pages we make a distinction between three types of multi-word verbs: prepositional verbs, phrasal verbs and phrasal-prepositional verbs. On this page we look at phrasal verbs proper.

Phrasal verbs are made of:

verb + adverb

Phrasal verbs can be:

intransitive (no direct object)
    [/li]transitive (direct object)
    [/li]
Here are some examples of phrasal verbs:

phrasal verbs

meaning

examples

direct object

intransitive phrasal verbs

get up

rise from bed

I don't like to get up.

break down

cease to function

He was late because his car broke down.

transitive phrasal verbs

put off

postpone

We will have to put off

the meeting.

turn down

refuse

They turned down

my offer.

Separable Phrasal Verbs
When phrasal verbs are transitive (that is, they have a direct object), we can usually separate the two parts. For example, \"turn down\" is a separable phrasal verb. We can say: \"turn down my offer\" or \"turn my offer down\". Look at this table:

transitive phrasal verbs are
separable

They

turned

down

my offer.

They

turned

my offer

down.

However, if the direct object is a pronoun, we have no choice. We must separate the phrasal verb and insert the pronoun between the two parts. Look at this example with the separable phrasal verb \"switch on\":

direct object pronouns must go between the two parts of transitive phrasal verbs

John

switched

on

the radio.

These are all possible.

John

switched

the radio

on.

John

switched

it

on.

John

switched

on

it.

This is not possible.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-9-22 12:39 , Processed in 0.125740 second(s), 4 queries , Redis On.