Publication Date:  2006-10-01
Sales Rank:  699026
ISBN / ASIN:  0781769981
EAN:  9780781769983
Binding:  Paperback
Manufacturer:  Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Studio:  Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Average Rating:  4.5

Revised, updated, and expanded, this handbook is a quick, concise, practical guide for clinicians treating patients with addictive disease. Using the conversational style and clinical vignettes found in all Practical Guides in Psychiatry titles, Dr. Gitlow describes effective strategies for the step-by-step process of intervening in a lifelong illness pattern. This edition includes new material on buprenorphine, naltrexone, and other pharmacologic treatments, nicotine cessation therapies, and pharmacologic interventions for sedative dependence, plus a new chapter on substance-induced disorders, a thoroughly rewritten prevention chapter, and expanded coverage of treatment dilemmas and legal issues. Easy-to-use appendices provide quick access to numerous new screening tools and other frequently referenced information. The Practical Guides in Psychiatry series provides quick, concise information for professionals on the front lines of mental health care. Written in an easy-to-read, conversational style, these invaluable resources take you through each step of the psychiatric care process, delivering fast facts and helpful strategies that help you provide effective and compassionate care to your patients.

Review:

Best Substance Abuse guidebook available...

This 261 page paperback is a must for anyone in the field of substance abuse or mental health. The book is small enough to conveniently carry around every day. It is not a textbook as the author notes. However, it contains 3 sections including General Principles of Substance Use Disorders, Substance Review (which covers every drug that any counselor will need to know about, including \"club drugs\", nicotine, etc.), and Substance Use Treatment. There are a number of appendices which include copies of screening examinations such as the CAGE, AUDIT, MAST, CIWA-Ar, CINA. There are also lists of published resources, certification boards, and useful websites.

Throughout this highly readable book there are very helpful clinical vignettes, as well as Key Points and Notes made by the author which enhance one's understanding of the topic being discussed. There are charts and graphs, lists of which questions to ask, etc.

As a clinician in a very busy Level One Trauma Center I have found this book to be invaluable. I know of none better, and if any readers do please enlighten me/us as we are always looking for helpful books such as these. Dr Gitlow has done a remarkable job of pullling together much information in a format that is quite user friendly, and reasonably priced as well. I give this guide my highest endorsement and will certainly continue to utilize it almost daily while awaiting a second addition when the time is right to release a new edition...

http://rapidshare.com/files/45513851/SUBUSE.rar
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-10-7 00:20 , Processed in 0.161666 second(s), 4 queries , Redis On.