查看: 1173|回复: 2

[[资源推荐]] 复旦名教授课程《英汉翻译实践》课堂讲义

[复制链接]
发表于 2007-7-5 10:13:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
复旦名教授课程《英汉翻译实践》课堂讲义
俞惠中教授的课程讲义
Unit 1

I. 英汉翻译原理第一讲: 什么是翻译?

【例1】 The history of a tree from the time it starts in the forest until the boards which it yields are used, would form an interesting and, in many instances, an exciting story.
(“×”号表示译文有问题,下同)
×树的历史开始于森林中,直到生产为木板后被使用为止,成为一个有趣且有许多事例的激动人心的故事。

上面这句话的原文实际上主要说了两点内容:
1、树的历史的起迄时间
2、树的历史是怎样一回事
【译文】 一棵树,从它在森林中生长起直到被制成木板使用为止,这段历史会构成一个饶有趣味的故事,在很多情况下这个故事十分激动人心。

【例2】 There are two regulatory systems which interact. One timing system comes from the evidence of our senses and stomachs, and the periodicity we experience when living in a particular time zone.
×有两个调节系统相互作用。一个定时系统来自于我们的感官和胃的证明,就是当我们生活在一个特定的时区所经历的周期性。
【译文】 人体有两个相互作用的时间调节系统。一个时间调节系统依据感官和胃发出的信息,依据我们生活在某个时区所体验的周期性规律。

寻找对等词语和结构然后将其串接成句的翻译方法,常表现如下:
1、简单语句的译文虽然生硬,但基本可读。如:
【例3】 I can see three different types of composers in musical history, each of whom creates music in a somewhat different fashion.
×我能看到音乐史上有三种不同的作曲家,他们中每一个人以某种不同的方式创作音乐。
【译文】 我发现音乐史上有三类作曲家,他们各自的音乐创作方式有所不同。

2、较复杂语句的译文似通非通,甚至不知所云。如:
【例4】 The traditionalist type of composer begins with a pattern rather than with a theme. The creative act with Palestrina is not the thematic conception so much as the personal treatment of a well-established pattern.
×传统主义型作曲家始于某种格调而非某种主题。帕莱斯特里纳的创作行为不太像对固定格调进行个性化处理的主题概念。
【译文】 传统型作曲家是从形式出发而不是从主题出发进行创作的。帕莱斯特里纳的创作不是主题的构思,而是对固定形式的个性化处理。

3、典型的英语表达形式在汉语无法找到对等形式,翻译无从着手。如:
【例5】 Find yourself. Be yourself. Popularity will come -- with the people who respect you for who you are.
【译文】 发现自我,如实地表现自我,你自然会为人们所喜欢--为那些尊重你的真正个性的人们所喜欢。

【例6】 Where do you expect Shanghai to be in five years?
【译文】 你预计今后五年上海的发展目标如何?

翻译不是一种语言中的词语和语句结构到另一种语言的词语和语句结构的简单转换,也不是在另一种语言中寻找与一种语言中对等的词语和语句结构然后将其串接成句的过程。在英汉翻译中,如果把眼光盯着原文的词语和语句结构这些属于语言层次的东西,结果翻译出来的只是一种文字层次的转换,徒具其形,原文的内容和意义不可能得到很好的表达。

翻译究竟是什么呢?
翻译的过程就好比交通工具的换乘过程,两者之间有诸多相似之处。

交通工具换乘过程:
内容 (人员)
载体(运输工具1) 内容(人员)
载体(运输工具2)

翻译过程:
内容 (信息)
载体(源语) 内容(信息)
  载体(译语)

比较两者,其共同点有:
(1) 两者带有相似的目的:
两种转换过程都是为了实现内容通过载体的变换从一端到另一端的传递。
(2) 两者含有相似的基本要素:
第一要素内容,在交通工具换乘过程中是人员,而在翻译过程中则是信息。
第二要素载体,在交通工具换乘过程中是车辆、船舶、飞机等,转换前是一种运输工具,转换后改为另一种运输工具;而在翻译过程中则是语言,转换前是源语(source language),转换后是译语(target language)。
(3) 两者具有相似的操作要求:
第一,两者都要求内容不变。
第二,两者都要求过程顺畅

德国译学教授Wolfram Wilss 在The Science of Translation:Problems & Methods一书中说:
Translation is not simply a matter of seeking other words with similar meaning, but of finding appropriate ways of saying things in another language. Translating is always meaning-based, i.e. it is the transfer of meaning instead of form from the source language to the target language.(翻译不只是在另一种语言中寻找意义相似的其他词语,而是寻找表达事物的适当方式。翻译始终立足于语义,也就是说,是语义从源语到译语的转换,而不是形式。)
这说明了翻译是语义的翻译,不是语言形式的翻译,是运用另一种语言的适当方式来表达一种语言所表达的内容,而不是在另一种语言中寻找与一种语言中含义相似的某些词语或结构。翻译必须跳出原文语言层面的束缚,必须着眼于传达原文的内容和意义。
换句话说,翻译的基本单位应该是语篇,而不是词语结构。根据系统功能语言学家的观点,语言的实际使用单位是语篇这样的言语单位,而不是词语结构这样的语法单位。实际使用的语篇有可能是一个句子、一个句段、一个句群,也有可能是一个词语。翻译作为语言交际的一种形式,其实质是用一种语言的语篇材料代替另一种语言与其意义对等的语篇材料。翻译是运用一种语言把另一种语言所表达的内容和意义准确而完整地重新表达出来的语言活动。

II. 课堂练习(分别用词语和形式对应译法和语义表达译法试译下列句子,并比较翻译中的感觉和译文的效果):
1. It\\'s more a poem than a picture.
2. He drank himself out of the best lines.
3. He pretends to be as modest as anything.
4. Fire goes wherever it can, but it prefers to follow a draft.
5. The room was easily traced by the noise that was coming from it.
6. Taking care to pitch my voice to politeness, I asked about the next bus to Hattiesburg.
7. If you feel depressed at a social gathering, keep it a secret.
8. The bacteria pneumonia may complicate influenza at both extremes of age.

III. 课堂练习参考译文:
1. 与其说那是一幅画,不如说那是一首诗。
2. 他借酒写得好诗句。
3. 他装得极为谦虚。
4. 火是无孔不入的,可是它更爱窜入通风的地方。
5. 循声而去,便轻而易举地找到了那间屋子。
6. 我陪着小心,用温和的口吻询问开往哈蒂斯堡下一斑车的情况。
7. 在社交场合,你就是感到情绪压抑,也不要表露出来。
8. 患有流感的幼儿和老人可能并发细菌性肺炎。

IV. 课外练习(分别用词语和形式对应译法和语义表达译法试译下列句子,并比较翻译中的感觉和译文的效果):
1. He wants a lawyer who understands his case, who sympathizes with him and who has been there himself.
2. World-famous for his works he was never personally well known, for throughout his life he avoided publicity.
3. While you are in the act of summoning your energies, focus on a plan. Don\\'t exhaust yourself with fruitless excursions into any and all possibilities.
4. A book may be compared to your neighbor: if it is good, it can not last too long; if bad you can not get rid of it too early.
5. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check -- a check which has come back marked \"insufficient funds\".
6. A friend is someone who draws out your own best qualities, with whom you sparkle and become more of whatever the friendship draws upon.
7. To petrol we owe the existence of the motor-car, which has replaced the private carriage drawn by the horse. To petrol we owe the possibility of flying.
8. Because of limited insurance coverage, many people will have to look to their own resources -- both emotional and financial -- to care for an infirm or recovering relative at home.
9. During the last six years, 44 of 60 scholarship winners have been the children of foreigners. the talent search, certainly in this decade, is a tribute as much to immigration as to education.
10. The new architectural styles have become powerful image makers overseas. Two stunning arrivals now gracing Hong Kong\\'s crowded skyline -- the privately-owned Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank building and Bank of China\\'s headquarters -- stand as monuments to the rival economic interests, cultures and ideologies that define the city.
Unit 2

I. 课外练习参考译文:
1. 他要找一位了解他的案情,同情他的处境,并有过亲身经历的人当他的律师。
2. 他的著作举世闻名,而他个人却一直默默无闻,因为他一生始终避免抛头露面。
3. 在集中精力的过程中,要集中于一种打算;不要同时涉足各种可能的情况而搞得精疲力竭一事无成。
4. 书可以比作邻居:如果是好的,相处愈久愈好;如果是坏的,分手愈早愈好。
5. 美国没有履行这种神圣的义务,相反,只是给黑人开了一张空头支票,上面盖了“资金不足”的戳子后被退了回来。
6. 朋友是能使你表现出自己最佳品质的人,和他在一起你就会精神焕发,并且变得更具有友谊所要求的种种内涵。
7. 有了汽油,我们才有了汽车,取代了私人马车;有了汽油,我们才有可能飞上天空。
8. 由于保险金的支付范围有限,许多人无论在感情上或经济上都必须靠自己的力量在家中照料病弱或康复中的亲人。
9. 过去六年里,每60名奖学金获得者中就有44名是外来移民的子女。人才奖的评选,当然是指这十年,不仅为美国教育,也为美国移民增添了光彩。
10. 这种种新的建筑风格已经非常有力地塑造了香港在海外的形象。在拥挤的空中出现了两幢令人叹为观止的新建筑点缀其间,一幢是私营的汇丰银行大楼,另一幢是中国银行总部,代表并象征了香港相互竞争的经济利益、文化和意识形态。

II. 英汉翻译原理第二讲: 什么是好的译文?

【例7】 Public opinion plays a vital and healthy role in the political realm.
×公共舆论在政治领域起着生命力的、健康的作用。
【译文】 舆论在政治领域起着极其重要的、有益的作用。
【例8】 I am sure that it would change the situation if you are kind enough to lend support to me.
×我相信如果你有足够的好心支持我的话,它将会改变形势。
【译文】 我相信如果你非常好心能撑我一把的话,情况就不一样了。
【例9】 Jobs and work do much more than most of us realize to provide happiness and contentment.
×职业和工作带来很大的幸福和满足,而我们大多数人并不意识到这一点。
【译文】 职业和工作对于获得幸福和满足起了很大的作用,我们大多数人对此却认识不足。

两类问题:一类是译文语义基本符合原文,但汉语表达有欠正确;另一类是汉语表达尚有可读性,但译文语义不符原文。

目前翻译界普遍接受的,也是作为一般翻译学习者必须努力掌握的标准,简而言之是两条:忠实 (Faithfulness) 和流畅 (Smoothness)。

【例10】 For Nat Nakasa the pledge he was required to sign -- to leave his country and never return proved too much; he committed suicide in New York.
×纳特?纳卡萨不得不发誓离开祖国,不管情况如何永不返家,并自杀于纽约。
【译文】 对纳特?纳卡萨来说,要他签字保证离开祖国永不返回是难以接受的:他在纽约自杀了。
【例11】 In the wake of his mother\\'s death some thirty-six years later, Hemingway turned back to the adventure and tried to write a novel about it.
×在他母亲去世36年之后,海明威又想起了那次历险奇遇,并试图写一部小说。
【译文】 大约36年过后,在他母亲去世后的不久海明威又想起了那次遭遇的险情,并试图就此写一部小说。

外语腔是初学翻译者不知不觉地会在汉语译文中表现出来的一种不当倾向。翻译时所要表达的内容来自外语原文,原文的词语和结构形式随着内容一起进入到我们的大脑,于是原文的语言形式被带入译文,造成了译文的外语腔。
【例12】 The only concession he made to the climate was to wear a white dinner jacket.
×他对气候的唯一让步就是穿了一件白色的短餐衣。
【译文】 气候变化,他仅稍稍作了一点变通,赴宴时穿了件白色的短礼服。
【例13】 If certain animal psychologists are right, a dog adopts his family in a most literal way -- taking it for granted that the family is the band of dogs he belongs to.
×假如某些动物心理学家的分析正确,狗在很大程度上代表着它的家人 - 理所当然这一家也就属于狗帮了。
【译文】 假如有些动物心理学家的分析正确,狗对于他所在家庭的认同是非常实际的--它理所当然地认为这一家人就是它所归属的一群狗。

现代西方著名翻译理论家Eugene A. Nida 在其理论著述中经常谈到读者反应的问题。他认为,翻译的服务对象是读者,要评判译文质量的优劣,必须看读者对译文的反应如何,同时必须把这种反应与原作读者对原文可能产生的反应进行对比,看两种反应是否基本一致。

除了忠实和流畅这两项基本标准之外,好的译文还必须保持原文的风格,包括民族风格、时代风格、语体风格、作者个人的语言风格等。文艺作品的翻译尤其要求这样做。译者不能破坏或改变原文的风格,不能以译者的风格代替原作的风格。

III. 课堂练习(努力按照忠实原文和译文流畅两项标准,把下列句子译成汉语):
1. She couldn\\'t have come at a better time.
2. She has been a widow only six months.
3. I believe the speech was needlessly stubborn.
4. The Macedonian argument has a Greek dimension too.
5. The Englishman feels no less deeply than any other nationality.
6. From a physical standpoint, there ought to be as many colours as there are different wave lengths.
7. But the next century we\\'ll be able to alter our DNA radically, encoding our visions and vanities while concocting new life-forms.
8. As a human being, we should demonstrate our intellectual and moral superiority by respecting others for who they are -- instead of rejecting them for who/what they are not.

IV. 课堂练习参考译文:
1. 她来得正是时候。
2. 她的丈夫去世至今不过半年。
3. 我认为那篇讲话口气强硬,大可不必。
4. 马其顿之争同希腊也有关系。
5. 英国人同其他民族一样,也有丰富的感情。
6. 从物理学的观点来看,不同的波长有多少种,颜色就有多少种。
7. 但下个世纪我们将能根本改变DNA,能在构建新的生命时把我们的种种想象、种种出于虚荣的要求,都编入遗传密码。
8. 作为人,我们应该不问他人的身份如何都尊重他们,从而显示出自己高超的智慧和道德,而不要因为他们没有某种身份或地位而去卑视他们。

V. 课外练习(努力按照忠实原文和译文流畅两项标准,把下列短文译成汉语):

I first took up walking as a means of escape. After a busy morning in my office, I found it refreshing to take a stroll at lunchtime, to breathe the fresh air and feel the sun. Another walk in the cold night air was, I discovered, an exhilarating way to unwind.
I\\'ll never forget the feeling I got one winter night as I walked the deserted streets after many grueling hours at the hospital. I suddenly realized that I no longer felt tense or tired. All the worries about my patients\\' illnesses, as well as my own personal cares, seemed to evaporate as quickly as the smoky vapor of my breath in the frosty night. As I incorporated walking into my schedule, not only were my spirits lifted, but my weight and blood pressure were gradually reduced. I began reviewing the medical literature on walking. From this research, and my clinical observations as a family physician, I found that it is possible to walk your way to better health, a trimmer body and a longer life -- no matter what your age.  
Walking -- likemming, bicycling and running -- is an aerobic exercise which builds the capacity for energy output and physical endurance by increasing the supply of oxygen to skin and muscles. Such exercise may be a primary factor in the prevention of heart and circulatory disease.  
As probably the least strenuous, safest aerobic activity, walking is the most acceptable exercise for the greatest number of people. Walking at comfortable speed improves the efficiency of the cardio-respiratory system by stimulating the lungs and heart, but at a more gradual rate than most other forms of exercise.  (279 words)  
Unit 3

I. 课外练习参考译文:

我最初开始散步是作为一种脱身之计。在办公室里忙了一个上午之后,我发现午饭时出去走一走,吸一口新鲜空气,享受一下阳光,十分令人神清气爽。我还发现,在夜间充满寒意的空气中散步也是一种使人心旷神怡的放松办法。

一个冬夜,经过了医院里好几个小时精疲力竭的工作后我漫步在空旷无人的大街上,那种感觉永远都无法忘却。我一下子发现自己不再感到紧张疲劳。什么病人的病情、个人的烦恼,似乎就像寒夜中呼出的热气,一下子都烟消云散了,  

我把散步纳入了每天的日程,不仅精神振作了,而且体重和血压也逐渐下降了。我开始查阅有关散步的医学文献。通过研究,还通过从事家庭保健医生工作中的临床观察,我发现,无论年龄大小,散步都能健身瘦身,延年益寿。
散步同游泳、骑车、跑步等一样,是一种有氧运动,能够增加皮肤和肌肉的供氧,从而增进体能和耐力。这种运动可成为预防心血管疾病的主要因素。
散步是一种最不激烈、最为安全的有氧运动,对绝大多数人都极其合适。以舒适的速度步行能促进心肺活动,从而提高心肺功能,虽然比起其他各种运动方式来散步的作用较为缓慢。

II. 英汉翻译原理第二讲:什么是好的译文?(续)
【例14】 There is a mix of confrontation and cooperation between them.
【译文】 他们之间既有对抗,又有合作。
【例15】 He died, and was survived by wife and three children.
【译文】 他死了,撇下了妻子和三个孩子。
【例16】 Law enforcement cannot responsibly stand aloof.
【译文】 司法部门如果对此不闻不问,那就是失职。
【例17】 Evidently he had the first quality of an angler, which is not to measure the pleasure by the catch.
【译文】 他显然具备了垂钓者的首要品质,即以钓为乐,钓多钓少无所谓。
【例18】 Nothing out of its place is good, nothing in its place is bad.
×身外之物无一是善,身内之物无一是恶。
【译文】 凡事不当无一是好,凡事得当无一是坏。
【例19】 Happiness is like manna; it is to be gathered and enjoyed every day.
×幸福似甘露,日日可享用。
【译文】 幸福犹如甘露,要天天采集才能日日享用。
忠实原文是指译文与原文实质内容上的一致,而不是形式上的一致。译者由于对原文理解不深,不能透过原文的形式掌握其实质内容,仅见其形,未见其神,这样译出的文字形式上似乎与原文一致了,但与原文的意思却相去甚远。这便是犯了翻译上的形式主义。但是灵活出了格,过分强调译文的流畅,而不受原文意思的约束,闹了独立性,在原文的思想内容之外随意添枝加叶,这种译法称之为自由主义。
【例20】 This was one of the secrets of his great popularity, but it was a popularity which was as unsettled as the waves. It swelled, and bubbled, and foamed for a while, only to recede, and be lost to its former possessor.
×这是他名噪一时的一个秘密,但这种名声如同波涛一样起伏不定:在短暂的时间内如日中天,盛极一时,炙手可热,但转瞬间又烟消云散,终于在原来有些声望的人身上消失了。
【译文】 这是他名噪一时的一个秘密,但这种名声如同波涛一样起伏不定:一时间奔腾高涨,汹涌澎拜,转瞬间又一落千丈,终于在原来享有这种声望的人身上荡然无存。

佳译欣赏:
【例21】 A thief is a thief.
【译文】 贼性难改。
【例22】 There was no snow, the leaves were gone, the grass was dead.
【译文】 天未下雪,但叶落草枯。
【例23】 Human affairs are all subject to changes and disasters.
【译文】 人世间,事不由己,变迁灾祸,难以逆料。
【例24】 It was a day as fresh as grass growing up and clouds going over and butterflies coming down can make it. It was a day compounded from silences of bee and flower and ocean and land, which were not silences at all, but motions, stirs, flutters, risings, fallings, each in its own time and matchless rhythm.
【译文】 绿草萋萋,白云冉冉,彩蝶翩翩,这日子是如此清新;蜜蜂无言,春花不语,海波声歇,大地音寂,这日子是如此安静。然而并非安静,因为万物各以其独特的节奏,或动,或摇,或震,或起,或伏。

III. 课堂练习(努力按照忠实原文和译文流畅两项标准,把下列句子译成汉语,翻译时既要避免拘泥于原文结构的形式主义译法,又要防止偏离原文内容的自由主义译法):

1. He who idles away the time is nothing but a living death.
2. No greater misfortune befalls a country than to be governed by a tyrant.
3. He had a disconcerting habit of expressing contradictory ideas in rapid succession.
4. The expectation of collision informed British frontier policy in this period.
5. Every day now, the suppression of truth and the organizing of public ignorance shame journalism.
6. I walked to the ticket counter. When the ticket-seller saw me, her otherwise attractive face turned sour, violently so.
7. Accident may put a decisive blunderer in the right, but eternal defeat and miscarriage must attend the man of the best parts, if cursed with indecision.
8. In their rush, these companies have neglected the hardest part of doing business in China: the people part. The result is that many have jeopardized their performance in the long run.

IV. 课堂练习参考译文:

1. 虚度年华者,虽生犹死。
2. 国之大难莫过于暴君当道。
3. 他有一种习惯让人受不了,意见反复不定,一会儿一个变化。
4. 英国预计到了将会发生冲突,并据此对这一时期的边境政策作了调整。
5. 现在,天天都在隐瞒真相,愚弄公众,这种做法是新闻界的耻辱。
6. 我走到售票台。女售票员一看见我,她那原本颇为动人的脸刷地一沉,变得怒气冲冲。
7. 出错者若处事果断,仍可意外取得成功;才干出众者若优柔寡断,必然屡屡失误。
8. 这些公司在一拥而入之中忽略了在中国经营最艰巨的问题,即人的问题,结果许多公司严重损害了他们的远期经营业绩。

V. 课外练习(努力按照忠实原文和译文流畅两项标准,把下列短文译成汉语):

Water problems in the future will become more intense and more complex. Our increasing population will tremendously increase urban wastes, primarily sewage. On the other hand, increasing demands for water will decrease substantially the amount of water available for diluting wastes. Rapidly expanding industries which involve more and more complex chemical processes will produce larger volumes of liquid wastes, and many of these will contain chemicals which are noxious. To feed our rapidly expanding population, agriculture will have to be intensified. This will involve ever-increasing quantities of agricultural chemicals. From this, it is apparent that drastic steps must be taken immediately to develop corrective measures for the pollution problem.  

There are two ways by which the pollution problem can be dwindled. The first relates to the treatment of wastes to decrease their pollution hazard. This involves the processing of solid wastes \"prior to\" disposal and the treatment of liquid wastes, or effluents, to permit the reuse of the water or minimize pollution upon final disposal.
A second approach is to develop an economic use for all or a part of the wastes. Farm manure is spread in fields as a nutrient or organic supplement. Effluents from sewage disposal plants are used in some areas both for irrigation and for the nutrients contained. Effluents from other processing plants may also be used as a supplemental source of water. Many industries, such as meat and poultry processing plants, are currently converting former waste products into marketable byproducts. Other industries are exploring potential economic uses for their waste products. (256 words)  

Unit 4

I、课外练习参考译文:

将来水的问题会变得更加尖锐复杂。不断增长的人口将大量增加城市废物,主要是生活污水。另一方面,用水需求的不断增长将使得可用于稀释废水的水量大大减少。快速发展的工业越来越多地采用各种复杂的化学方法,从而使废水大量增多,而很多废水中含有种种有害的化学物质。为了养活迅速增长的人口,农业必须集约化,这就会不断增加农用化学品的用量。由此看来,必须立即采取果断行动研究污染问题的整治措施。

整治污染问题的方法有两种。第一种是通过废物处理减少污染的危害,包括固体废物排放“之前”的处理和液体废物或污水的处理,从而实现水的循环利用或者尽量降低最终排放前的污染程度。

第二种方法是开发全部或部分废物的经济利用。农田中施用农家肥补充肥分或有机肥。有些地区使用污水处理厂排放的污水进行灌溉施肥。其他水处理厂排出的废水也可用作补充水源。现在,禽肉加工等许多行业正在把原先废弃的下脚料加工成可供出售的副产品,其他行业也在研究废弃物的经济利用可能途径。

II、英汉翻译原理第三讲:怎样理解原文?

【例25】 For some people hope dies slowly.
【译文】 对有些人来说,希望不会轻易破灭。
【例26】 In planning my drive to the airport, I will factor in a cushion: to allow for the unexpected, such as heavy traffic or a flat tire.
【译文】 我在安排开车前往机场时,总会考虑留一点时间,以防路上遇到交通堵塞或者轮胎漏气等意外情况。
【例27】 The blue in his fine eyes seemed to preclude his being a Syrian, but there was an encouraging curve in his nostrils.
【译文】 看他那双蓝眼睛,他似乎不可能是叙利亚人,但看他鼻子的曲线,却又使人觉得他很有可能是的。
【例28】 The pace was comfortable, so I decided to stay where I was.
【译文】 我觉得这种步速跑起来轻松,所以我就决定保持这种速度。
【例29】 He always lives ahead of his salary.
【译文】 他总是不到发薪水的日子就把钱花完了。或:他的薪水总是不够花。
美国语言教学家Wilga M. Rivers 说过理解中要掌握三个层次的意义,即词语意义、语法或结构意义以及社会和文化意义(the three levels of meaning: lexical meaning, structural or grammatical meaning, and social-cultural meaning)。
【例30】 So that\\'s how I became just another kid in school.
【译文】 就这样,我成了学校里一名和其他孩子一样的普通孩子。
【例31】 At first, they were being nice.
【译文】 起初人们只是出于一时的好心。
【例32】 John Major faces severe social and economic problems as well as tough debate over European integration, but his top priority will be to maintain the Tories\\' long lease on 10 Downing Street.
【译文】 梅杰面临严重的社会和经济问题以及关于欧洲统一的艰苦辩论,但是他的当务之急将是维系保守党的长期执政。
德国译学教授Wolfram Wilss说:
Translating requires the syntactic, semantic, stylistic and text-pragmatic comprehension by the translator of the original texts.(翻译过程要求译者在句法、语义、文体和语篇语用各方面对原文的进行理解。)
一、要理解原文语句的内部关系:
【例33】 Go to hell! You report what I have done to the authorities.
×去你的吧!你去向领导汇报我对他们的不敬吧!
【译文】 去你的吧!你去向领导汇报我的所作所为好啦!
【例34】 He ate his savoury, and hurried the maid as she swept the crumbs.
×他一边吃着最后的一道消食小吃,一边催促女佣人赶快打扫碎屑。
【译文】 他吃完最后的一道消食小吃,在女佣人打扫碎屑时,催她快一点。
【例35】 Derek fancies himself as a ladies\\' man, but he spends too much time admiring himself in the mirror for my liking.
×德里克自以为是讨女人喜欢的人,可是为了讨我喜欢,他却花很多时间在镜子面前自我欣赏。
【译文】 德里克自以为是个讨女人喜欢的人,可是我不喜欢他花那么多的时间在镜子面前自我欣赏。

III、课堂练习(以下各句的译文在理解上都有问题。请正确理解以下各句,并指出译文中的理解错误)及参考译文:

1. My delegation is not satisfied that the case has yet been made for convening such a broad conference.
×我方代表团对于没有人提出理由说明应召开如此广泛的会议很不满意。
我方代表团认为,还没有人提出充分理由说明应召开如此广泛的会议。(satisfy 说服,使确信)
2. The nationalized industries have been spoon-fed for so long that they don\\'t care whether they give value for money, or make a profit or loss.
×国有工业长期受到优厚待遇, 他们不在乎钱, 也不在乎盈利或亏损。
一些国有行业长期受到优厚待遇,他们不在乎钱花得是不是值得,也不在乎盈利或亏损。
3. I was not quite sure whether they had locked the door; and when I dared move, I got up and went to see. Alas! no jail was ever more secure.
×我不敢肯定他们是不是把门锁上了;等到我敢走动的时候,我站起身来走过去看看。天啊!没有一所监狱更加牢固。
我不敢肯定他们是不是把门锁上了;等到我敢走动的时候,我站起身来走过去看看。天啊!锁得牢牢的好象监狱一般。
4. Very hesitatingly I selected a tube of blue paint, and with infinite precaution made a mark about as big as a bean on the snow-white field.
×我迟疑不决地选了一管蓝色颜料,然后小心翼翼地画了一笔,就像雪白的田野上的一粒蚕豆那么大小。
我迟疑不决地选了一管蓝色颜料,然后非常小心翼翼地在画布雪白的底色上点了豆子般大小的一点。
5. I agree with you that many laws are unjust, but if you make every law a matter of conscience you will end up in jail.
×我同意你的意见,很多法律是不公正的,但如果你都凭良心来制定每项法律的话,你最终就得坐牢。
我同意你的意见,很多法律是不公正的,但如果你对待每项法律都要讲良心的话,你最终就得坐牢。
6. Ring farewell to the century of physics, the one to which we split the atom and turned silicon into computing power,
×向物理世纪告别吧,在这个世纪里,我们分裂了原子,把硅变为计算机的动力。
向物理学的世纪告别吧,在这个世纪里,我们实现了原子的分裂,我们把硅变成了计算能力。
7. The sun sets regularly on the Union Jack these days, but never on the English language.
×现在太阳从英国国旗上有规则地落下,但是英语却不是这种情况。/ 现在英国国旗上照到的阳光日益减少,但英语却不是这种情况。
现在,英国已不再是个“日不落”的国家了,但是英语却还是在广泛地流行使用。(Union Jack英国国旗)
8. I hear the Hindoo teaching his favorite pupil the loves, wars, adages, transmitted safely to this day from poets who wrote three thousand years ago.
×我听见有三千年前的诗人们书写的、完好无损地流传至今的、有印度教士传授给得意门生的、有关爱情故事、战争和格言。
我听见印度人在向他的得意门生传授爱情故事、战争和格言,这些都是由三千年前的诗人所写并完好地流传至今。

IV、课外练习(正确理解下列短文,并将其译成汉语):

First impressions are often lasting ones. Indeed, if you play your cards right, you can enjoy the benefits of what sociologists call the \"halo effect.\" This means that if you\\'re viewed positively within the critical first few minutes, the person you\\'ve met will likely assume everything you do is positive.

How you move and gesture will greatly influence an interviewer\\'s first impression of you. In a landmark study of communications, psychologists discovered that seven percent of any message about our feelings and attitudes comes from the words we use, 38 percent from our voice, and a startling 55 percent from our facial expressions. In fact, when our facial expression or tone of voice conflicts with our words, the listener will typically put more weight on the nonverbal message.
To make your first encounter a positive one, start with a firm handshake. If the interviewer doesn\\'t initiate the gesture, offer your hand first. Whenever you have a choice of seats, select a chair beside his or her desk, as opposed to one across from it. That way there are no barriers between the two of you and the effect is somewhat less confrontational. If you must sit facing the desk, shift your chair slightly as you sit down, or angle your body in the chair so you\\'re not directly in front of your interviewer.

Monitor your body language to make sure you don\\'t seem too desperate for the job, or too eager to please. Keep a Poker face in business situations. Inappropriate smiling is the most common example of a nonverbal behavior that undercuts verbal messages -- making you appear weak and unassertive. Good eye contact is also important. One study found that job applicants who make more eye contact are perceived as more alert, dependable, confident and responsible.    (298 words)     Unit 5

I、课外练习参考译文:

第一印象常常是持久的印象。的确,如果处理得当,你就能有幸获得社会学家称之为“光环效应”带来的种种好处。这就是说,要是在一开始关键的几分钟里你就给人留下好的印象,初遇者就可能认为你办的事件件都好。

你的一举一动都会大大影响你给面试者的第一印象。在有关人际交流的一项意义重大的研究中心理学家发现,关于情感和态度的信息有7%来自我们的语言文字,有38%来自我们的语音,而惊人的是,竟有55%来自我们的面部表情。事实上,如果面部表情或说话语调与我们所说的话发生矛盾时,听者通常会更加看重那些非语言信息。

为了使第一次面试成功,一开始的握手要坚定有力。如果面试者没有主动伸出手来,你就主动先把手伸出来。要是可以选择座位的话,要坐在面试者桌子的侧面,而不要坐在正对面。这样坐法你们中间就没有障碍了,而且在一定程度上起到减少对立的作用。如果你只能坐在桌子对面,那么坐的时候把椅子稍微挪一下或者把身体坐的角度偏一点,这样你就不是正对着面试者了。
要注意你的形体语言,千万不要表现得对这份工作迫不及待,也不要表现得急于讨好别人。要保持一种办理公事时一本正经的神态。非语言行为可削弱语言信息的力量,从而使你显得优柔寡断缺乏自信,而不合时宜的微笑就是一个最为常见的例子。良好的目光交流也非常重要。有一项研究发现,多用目光进行交流的求职者可给人以更为机警、可靠、自信、负责的印象。

II、英汉翻译原理第三讲:怎样理解原文?(续)

二、要理解特殊语言现象的特殊含义:
【例36】 John is now with his parents in New York; it is three years since he was a high school teacher in Washington.
【译文】 约翰现在同父母一起住在纽约;他不在华盛顿当中学教师已有三年了。
【例37】 She didn\\'t attend the meeting because she wanted to.
【译文】 她去开会并不是她自己想去。
【例38】 As a place to live, it left much to be desired. As a secret training base for a new plane, it was an excellent site, its remoteness effectively masking its activity.
【译文】 作为居住之处,这里有许多不足之处。但作为新型飞机的秘密训练基地,却是非常理想的。它地处边陲,人们不易了解其中的活动。
【例39】 The teacher didn\\'t tell her students that in so many words, but obviously something about her attitude convinced them.
×老师没有用很多话把这种情况告诉学生,但她的某种态度显然使学生相信情况的确如此。
【译文】 老师没有把这种情况对学生明说,但她的某种态度显然使学生相信情况的确如此。
【例40】 If I am getting a free ride, how come I am so tired when I go home at the end of a shift?
×如果我是免费乘车的话,我上完一次班回家后怎么会那么累呢?
【译文】 如果我上班偷闲的话,我下班回家怎么会那么累呢?
【例41】 I am sorry I was a little short with you just now. I don\\'t feel myself today.
×如果我刚才陪你的时间短了一些的话,我很抱歉。今天我自己也没有感觉到。
【译文】 刚才对你态度不好,我很抱歉。今天我身体有点不舒服。

三、要结合上下文语境进行理解:
【例42】 The financial implications of this resolution remain to be defined.
【译文】 本决议所涉及的财政问题尚待确定。
本决议对财政工作的意义尚待阐明。
【例43】 The tyrants might array their cruelty, but the people would oppose their bravery.
【译文】 暴君恣意肆虐,人民则奋勇反抗。
【例44】 Managers face a host of new business realities, such as changing patterns of employment that include an explosion of outsourcing and new alliances.
×管理人员面对的是商界前所未有的种种现实,诸如就业的模式不断变化 包括外购。重组等现象的猛增。
【译文】 管理人员面对的是商界前所未有的种种现实,诸如企业用工方式的不断变化 包括大幅度增加外部采办和新建联产单位。

III、课堂练习(正确理解以下各句,并在正确理解的基础上将其译成汉语):

1. Let it deceive them, then, a little longer; it can not deceive them too much.
2. We shall never get anywhere with all the criticism and fault finding. I believe in the principle \"Live and let live\".
3. He said that no one could beat him at tennis, but he had to eat his word after losing several games.
4. I had read too many novels and had learned too much at school not to know a good deal about love.
5. In fact, one office-system expert recently said that he had yet to encounter a business work place that was functioning at more than 60 percent efficiency.
6. Nobody with any sense expects to find the whole truth in advertisement any more than he expects a man applying for a job to describe his shortcomings and serious faults.
7. There is probably no better way for a foreigner (or an Englishman) to appreciate the richness and variety of the English language than by studying the various ways in which Shakespeare used it.
8. We are human and human beings are far from perfect. To be human implies that we will make mistakes. But it\\'s more than that we feel human. We now feel entitled.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 那就让这事再骗他们一会儿吧,无论怎样骗他们都不算过分。
2. 这一套批评挑剔的做法是行不通的。我相信“互相容忍”的原则。
3. 他说打网球没人打得过他,但输了几场之后,他只好承认自己说错了。
4. 我读过很多小说,在学校里所见所闻也不少,对于爱情自然就知道得很多。
5. 事实上,有位办公制度专家最近说过,他还没见到过有哪个办公场所的工作效率高于百分之六十。
6. 有头脑的人谁也不会指望求职者说出自己的缺点和严重过错,同样,也不会指望广告里说的全是真话。
7. 对于外国人(甚至包括英国人)来说,要欣赏丰富多采的英语,最好的办法也许就是学习莎士比亚使用英语的各种方法。
8. 我们是凡人,而凡人远非十全十美。作为凡人就是说我们会犯错误。但是,我们觉得自己是凡人不仅仅由于我们会犯错误。我们如今感到有权利犯错误。

V、课外练习(正确理解下列短文,并将其译成汉语):

A new era is upon us. Call it what you will: the service economy, the information age, the knowledge society. It all translates to a fundamental change in the way we work. Already we\\'re partly there. The percentage of people who earn their living by making things has fallen dramatically in the Western World. Today the majority of jobs in America, Europe and Japan (two thirds or more in many of these countries) are in the service industry, and the number is on the rise. More women are in the workforce than ever before. There are more part-time jobs. More people are sell-employed. But the breadth of the economic transformation can\\'t be measured by numbers alone, because it also is giving rise to a radical new way of thinking about the nature of work itself. Long-held notions about jobs and careers, the skills needed to succeed, even the relation between individuals and employers -- all these are being challenged.  

We have only to look behind us to get some sense of what may lie ahead. No one looking ahead 20 years possibly could have foreseen the ways in which a single invention, the chip, would transform our world thanks to its applications in personal computers, digital communications and factory robots. Tomorrow\\'s achievements in biotechnology, artificial intelligence or even some still unimagined technology could produce a similar way of dramatic changes. But one thing is certain: information and knowledge will become even more vital, and the people who possess it, whether they work in manufacturing or services, will have the advantage and produce the wealth; computer knowledge will become as basic a requirement as the ability to read and write. The ability to solve problems by applying information instead of performing routine tasks will be valued above all else. If you cast your mind ahead 10 years, information services will be predominant. It will be the way you do your job.     (320 words)
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-7-5 10:16:33 | 显示全部楼层
Unit 6

I、课外练习参考译文:

我们正面临着一个新时代。随你怎么称呼它:服务经济也好,信息时代也好,知识社会也好,一句话,都说明了我们工作方式的根本变化。事实上我们已经开始进入这个时代。西方社会依靠制造产品谋生的人数比例急剧下降了。今天,在美洲、欧洲和日本,大多数人(这些国家中有许多国家已高达三分之二以上)从事服务业,而且人数还在增加。跟从前相比,妇女从业的人数增加了,兼职工作增加了,个体经营者增加了。但是,经济变革幅度的衡量不能只凭数字,因为经济变革同时也引发了对工作本质的全新思维。有关工作和职业生涯、获得成功所必须的技能、乃至个人与雇主的关系,种种传统的观念正在受到挑战。

我们只要回顾从前,就可以对未来有所了解。没有那一位展望未来20年的人能够预料到硅片这样一项发明,因其在个人电脑、数字通讯和工业机器人中的应用,会给我们的世界带来的种种变化。明天在生物技术、人工智能或者有些迄今为止甚至难以想象的技术方面所取得的成就,可能会引起类似的急剧变化。但有一点是肯定的:信息和知识将变得更加重要,而拥有信息和知识的人们,无论他们从事制造业或者服务业,将会具有优势并创造财富,计算机技术将与读写能力一样成为一种基本要求。运用信息解决问题的能力,而不是日常工作的完成,将尤其受到重视。展望未来10年,信息服务将支配一切,将成为你的工作方式。

四、要通过吃透词语含义进行理解:
【例45】 While many women are comfortable being close and sharing secrets, men often struggle to express their emotions in relationship with other men.
×虽然许多女人对与他人亲密无间,分享秘密感到舒坦,而男人却经常刻求在与其他男人的关系中表达感情。
【译文】 许多女人亲密相处互吐隐秘感到心安理得,而男人要对其他男人表露感情却非易事。
【例46】 On the drunken occasion in question, I was insufferable about liking you, and not liking you. I wish you would forget it.
×在那次大醉时,我老考虑是不是喜欢你,搞得我无法忍受,希望你忘了它。
【译文】 那一次喝得酩酊大醉的时候,我说了喜欢你不喜欢你的一番话,让你受不了,希望你忘了它吧。
【例47】 I felt uncomfortable in the suit I had dredged up to wear.
×穿着那套已经弄干净的衣服,我只觉得浑身不自在。
【译文】 穿着那套费了好大功夫才找出来的衣服,我觉得浑身不自在。
【例48】 The school bully threatened Martin with a thick ear.
×学校的小霸王打了马丁一个耳光以此作为威胁。
【译文】 学校的小霸王扬言要打马丁的耳光。
【例49】 The computer makes possible a marvelous leap in human proficiency; it pulls down the fences around the practical and even the theoretical intelligence.
×计算机将可能使人类熟练掌握技术产生惊人的飞跃,他推倒了理论和实践之间的隔墙。
【译文】 计算机使人类的能力有可能发生巨大的飞跃;它拓展了人类从事实践工作甚至理论工作的智慧。

五、要明确词语的具体指代进行理解:
【例50】 Fifty cases of woolen sweaters were shipped from Shanghai to New York. They were products of the city\'s first joint venture. Owing to a storm at sea, some of the cargo got stained by seawater. However, the goods duly arrived yesterday.
【译文】 有50箱羊毛衫从上海发往纽约。这些羊毛衫是上海首家合资企业的产品。由于海上遇到风暴,其中一部分遭到海水污损,但这批货物已于昨天按时运抵。
【例51】 "Heaven bless you, my child," said she, embracing Amelia, and scowling the while over the girl\'s shoulder at Miss Sharp. "Come away, Becky," said Miss Jemima, pulling the young woman away in great alarm.
×她搂着爱米丽亚说:“求老天保佑你,孩子。”一面说,一面从女孩的肩头对夏泼小姐恶狠狠地瞪眼。吉米玛小姐心里害怕,赶快拉着年轻女子出来,口里说:“来吧,贝基。”
【译文】 她搂着爱米丽亚说:“求老天保佑你,孩子。”一面说,一面从爱米丽亚肩头对夏泼小姐恶狠狠地瞪眼。吉米玛小姐心里害怕,赶快拉着夏泼小姐出来,口里说:“走吧,小姐。”
【例52】 I seized the largest brush and fell upon my wretched victim with wild fury.
×我抓起那支最大的画笔,迅猛异常地向我可怜的受害者扑了过去。
【译文】 我抓起那支最大的画笔,势不可挡扑向那全无招架之力的画布。

1. The investigations were temporarily tabled due to more pressing business.
2. After all, all living creatures live by feeding on something else, whether it be plant or animal, dead or alive.
3. One of the great charms of Lawrence as a companion was that he could never be bored and so could never be boring.
4. A grass eating animal cannot exist without grass, a predator without prey, a plant without certain basic chemicals or certain kinds of soil.
5. If we could consider placing ourselves in other people\'s shoes, we could teach ourselves how damaging it is to assume anything about anyone.
6. A creative person will almost never follow a set pattern in developing an idea. To do so would tend to structure his thinking and might limit the creation of possible solutions.
7. Next door, a large-than-expected audience of 300 attended the International Conference on Laser Atmospheric Studies, which will be covered separately next month.
8. The quality of attendance, enhanced by an exhibit-admission fee of $50 per day, was widely extolled. The quantity was in doubt, however. All of the 14 exhibitors interviewed questioned the figure of 5,200 given by Fair director G.B. Hovel; the consensus was 2,500 attendees.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 由于有更紧急的任务,调查暂不进行。
2. 毕竟所有的生物都靠吃其他东西生存,不管这种东西是植物还是动物,是死的还是活的。
3. 在跟劳伦斯的相处中感到他有一点可爱之处,那就是他从不讨厌人,因而也从不讨人厌。
4. 食草动物没有草不能生存,食肉动物没有猎物无法活命,植物没有一定的基本化学物质或一定的土壤就生长不了。
5. 如果我们能够设身处地为别人着想,就会懂得对别人臆断有多大害处。
6. 有创造性的人在形成一种想法时决不会照搬固定不变的模式。那种做法往往会束缚思想,有碍于想出多种可能的解决方案。
7. 隔壁大厅里,出乎意料地有300人出席了国际激光大气研究会议,有关会议情况本刊将于下月另文报道。
8. 由于每天的入场券票价高达50美元,所以前往参观的人都有些身份,受到了普遍称颂。但是参观人数值得怀疑。有14家参展厂商接受了采访,都对交易会主任霍佛尔提供的5,200人这个数字表示怀疑,一般估计是2,500人。

One of my favourite moments of the day is among the last -- the last conscious one, anyway. After several attempts at keeping my eyelids from fluttering closed and the book from collapsing onto my chest, I know it really is time to go to sleep. I affectionately place the book on the bed beside me. We sleep together, me and my book, me and those characters, me and my mixed-up dreams.  

Reading in bed seems to run in families. The last time my mother babysat for me, I got home to find the house dark except for two small lights. One came from my son\'s room, where I discovered the eight-year-old holed up under the covers with Goosebumps and a flashlight. At the other end of the house, my mother had already dozed off with her book.  

Somewhere in the middle is me, a grown-up version of the girl who used to camp out under covers with Nancy Drew, a foreshadowing of a baby-sitting grandma whose sons will come home to find Mom snoozing contentedly beneath her paperback.
Instead of arranging my books into traditional categories -- fiction and nonfiction, novels and short stories, self-improvement and pleasure -- I divide my bedside reading into books that put you to sleep and those that keep you up. Both have their place. Just last night I picked up a slender but densely written volume of literary criticism for the knockout punch I knew it would deliver. At the other end of the spectrum are the suspense heavy plots that keep you turning pages into the single-digit hours -- crime novels, love stories, comedies of manners, narrators so charming you cannot bear to quit them, worlds so richly drawn you cannot bear to leave. (293 words)
Unit 7

I、课外练习参考译文:

一天中我最喜欢的是最后那段时刻--至少是醒着的最后那段时刻。我再三努力不让眨动的眼皮合上,不让书本掉落在胸前,这时候我知道真的该入睡了。我深情地把书放在身边的床上。我们一起入睡--我和我的书,我和书中的人物,我和交杂的梦境,都一起入睡。  

躺在床上看书似乎成了家传。上一次母亲帮我照看孩子时,我回到家里发现整幢房子一片漆黑,只有两处微弱的灯光。一处在我儿子的房间,我看到八岁的儿子拿着一本《鸡皮疙瘩》,打着电筒躲在被窝里看书。房子的那头,母亲拿着书已经打起盹来。  

差不多在这一老一小的中间就是我:一个已经长大成人的昔日女孩,过去经常在野营时把《南茜?德鲁》漫画藏在被窝里与之同眠,一位将来帮儿子照看小孩的老奶奶,儿子回家时发现母亲已经心满意足地脸上盖着书本呼呼入睡。  
我没有按照传统的分类方法把书分为小说类和非小说类、长篇类和短篇类、修身养性类和娱乐消遣类,而是把床头读物分为催人入眠类和驱散睡意类。两类书籍各得其所。就在昨天晚上,我挑了一本薄薄的但文字密集的文学评论。我知道这本书会让我倒下就睡着。与之完全不同的另一类则是情节紧张扣人心弦的书,如犯罪小说、爱情故事、生活喜剧,书中的叙事充满魅力令你不忍打断,书中的世界引人入胜使你难舍难离,你会一页又一页地翻下去,一直看到十二点钟过后。

六、要理解词语不同用法时的不同含义:
【例53】 They were distressful memories to her.
×它们都是她感到悲伤的回忆。
【译文】 这些都是勾起她痛苦回忆的往事,
【例54】 Anyone who doubts that global financial markets control national economies need only look at the crisis facing the "tigers" of the Far East.
×任何认为全球金融市场未必能左右国民经济的人,只须环视一下笼罩着远东“四小龙”的那场金融危机。
【译文】 无论是谁,如果认为世界各国金融市场未必能控制各国经济,只须看一看远东地区的“四小龙”所面临的这场金融危机就明白了。
【例55】 Concerned farmers are building terraces on hilly fields, rotating their crops, and using new plowing methods to cut soil losses significantly.
【译文】 关注事态的农民们在山地上修造梯田,实行轮作,并采用新法耕作以大幅度减少土壤流失。

七、要注意省略和替代部分的理解:
【例56】 "Has he sold his collection yet?" "He has some of the paintings; I\'m not sure about the rest."
ד他的藏画全都卖了吗?” “他有一些画,其他的我说不准。”
【译文】 “他的藏画全都卖了吗?” “有一部分画他已经卖了,其他的我说不准。”
【例57】 In other words there is at work in the language of a man, or of an age even, a constant principle of selection.
【译文】 换句话说,不仅一个人的语言,甚至于一个时代的语言,都不断受到淘汰原理的影响。
【例58】 A causeless event or thing, we cannot think of any more than we can of a stick with only one end.
【译文】 我们不可能设想有哪件事情是无缘无故产生的,就像我们不可能设想有哪根棍子只有一头一样。
【例59】 We are human and human beings are far from perfect. To be human implies that we will make mistakes. But it\'s more than that we feel human. We now feel entitled.
【译文】 我们是凡人,而凡人远非十全十美。作为凡人就是说我们会犯错误。但是,我们觉得自己是凡人不仅仅由于我们会犯错误。我们如今感到有权利犯错误。
【例60】 You have acted as if you do; but I don\'t think you do.
【译文】 你装出好象很喜欢我的样子,可我觉得你并不喜欢我。

1. If anyone has the right to hope he can solve what to most physicists would seem unsolvable, he has.
2. By taking thought, men can move mountains -- and have.He had retired to private prayer in his chamber.
3. Many considerations go into growing the most flavorful produce, and the simple fact of being certified "organic" is not guarantee.
4. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchel hit the ceiling, as did most other Democrats, who immediately declared themselves allergic to taxes.
5. Two of the largest and most powerful nations of the world have since 1950 lived in isolated ignorance of one another and mutual fear and hate.
6. At the meeting, Johnson was very critical of Smith\'s record, but she was able to blunt his attack by showing that he had a private grievance against her.
7. Along with strong incentive and education systems, third-wave companies maintain an openness to outside ideas and a tolerance for failure that help to keep innovative thinking alive.
8. When he dined with his sister that evening, Madeline helped herself to a cigarette from his pack on the table, and lit and smoke it inexpertly. Her defiant, self-satisfied, somewhat pathetic air made Warren laugh.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 如果说谁有权利希望自己能解决大多数物理学家似乎无法解决的问题,那么他就有这种权利。
2. 人们只要动脑筋,就能移山填海--而且人们已经这样做了。
3. 最具风味的农产品的种植涉及到许多因素,而仅仅获得“天然产品”的认证并不能保证什么。
4. 参议院多数党领袖米契尔和大多数民主党人士都大发雷霆,他们立即宣称无法忍受增税。
5. 自1950年以来,世界上两个地域最大、实力最强的国家彼此隔离,毫无了解,相互间既恐惧又敌视。
6. 在会上,约翰逊百般指责史密斯过去的所作所为,但史密斯指出约翰逊对她有私仇,因而削弱了约翰逊攻击的锋芒。
7. 第三次浪潮时代的企业除了需要有力的激励和教育机制外,还应善于接受外界的思想,善于容忍失败,这样才有利于思想上的活跃创新。
8. 华伦那天跟妹妹美德琳一起吃晚饭时, 妹妹从桌上他的烟盒里取出一支香烟,不太在行地抽了起来。她那种不可一世、自鸣得意、又有点惹人爱怜的神气引得华伦哈哈大笑。

Beauty has always been regarded as something praiseworthy. Almost everyone thinks attractive people are happier and healthier, have better marriages and have more respectable occupations. Personal consultants give them better advice for finding jobs. Even judges are softer on attractive defendants. But in the executive circle, beauty can become a liability.  

While attractiveness is a positive factor for a man on his way up the executive ladder, it is harmful to woman.  

Handsome male executives were perceived as having more integrity than plainer men; effort and ability were thought to account for their success.  

Attractive female executives were considered to have less integrity than unattractive ones; their success was attributed not to ability but to factors such as luck.
All unattractive women executives were thought to have more integrity and to be more capable than the attractive female executives. Interestingly, though, the rise of the unattractive overnight successes was attributed more to personal relationships and less to ability than was that of attractive overnight successes.  

Why are attractive women not thought to be able? An attractive woman is perceived to be more feminine and an attractive man more masculine than the less attractive ones. Thus, an attractive woman has an advantage in traditionally female jobs, but an attractive woman in a traditionally masculine position appears to lack the "masculine" qualities required.  

This is true even in politics. "When the only clue is how he or she looks, people treat men and women differently," says Anne Bowman, who recently published a study on the effects of attractiveness on political candidates. She asked 125 undergraduate students to rank two groups of photographs, one of men and one of women, in order of attractiveness. The students were told the photographs were of candidates for political offices. The were asked to rank them again, in the order they would vote for them.  

The results showed that attractive males utterly defeated unattractive men, but the women who had been ranked most attractive invariably received the fewest votes. (332 words)  
Unit 8

I、课外练习参考译文:

人们始终认为美丽是值得称赞的。几乎人人都以为漂亮的人会比别人幸福健康,婚姻美满,职业高尚。个人事务咨询员会给他们提供更好的求职建议,甚至法官对漂亮的被告态度也会格外温和。然而,在主管人员中,美丽可成为一种不利因素。
漂亮对于步步高攀想当主管的男子是一种积极因素,但对于女子却反而有害。
人们认为英俊的男主管比外貌平平者更有诚信,认为努力和能力是他们成功的原因。  
人们以为漂亮的女主管比不漂亮者缺乏诚信,她们的成功不是由于能力,而是由于运气之类的因素。  
人们觉得所有不漂亮的女主管比漂亮的女主管更有诚信,更有能力。然而,耐人寻味的是,与一夜之间获得成功的漂亮人士相比,人们认为一夜之间获得成功的不漂亮人士更多地是由于人际关系,而不是由于能力。
为什么会认为漂亮女子没有能力呢?人们认为,与不漂亮者相比,漂亮女子更具有女性特点,而漂亮男子则更具有男性特点。所以,漂亮女子从事女子从事的传统职业时就具有优势,而漂亮女子从事男子从事的传统职业时看来则缺乏所需的“男性”特点。
这种情况甚至在政治界也一样。安?波门最近发表了一份关于外貌漂亮对政治候选人的影响的研究报告,她说:“当人们看待某人的唯一依据只有外貌时,她们对男子和女子的态度是不一样的。”她要求125名大学本科学生把两组照片按照漂亮的顺序进行排队,一组是男子,一组是女子。她告诉学生这些都是一些政治职位竞选人的照片,再要求她们把照片按照他们打算投票的顺序进行排队。
结果表明,漂亮男子完全击败了漂亮女子,但被排在最漂亮之列的那几名女子一律获得的票数最少。

II、英汉翻译原理第四讲:怎样表达译文?

【例61】 Dawn breaking over the islands, very beautiful in a soft grey light with many clouds. There is a transparency about the light here which cannot be described or painted.
×拂晓已降临岛上,灰色的柔光,许多云彩,景色美极了。这里有透明的光线,它是不能描写也不能画出来的。
【译文】 曙色中的海岛美极了,晨光熹微,彩云片片,澄彻的光影无法形容,无法描画。
【例62】 Constant technological advances in soil conservation and livestock production will be required to keep pace with this ever-growing need.
×将需要水土保持与畜牧业生产不断的技术进步以适应这种日益增长的需求。
【译文】 为了适应这种日益增长的需求,水土保持与畜牧生产的技术需要不断进步。

一、要摆脱原文语句结构的影响:

【例63】 Interest in historical methods has arisen less through external challenge to the validity of history as an intellectual discipline and more from internal quarrels among historians themselves.
×对历史研究方法的兴趣较少来自于把历史作为一门学科的有效性的外界挑战,而更多来自于历史学家们内部的争论。
【译文】 人们之所以关注历史研究的方法,主要是因为史学界内部意见不一,其次是因为外界并不认为历史是一门学科。
【例64】 Distance from the event should make the memories less painful.
×事件的久远自然会减少回忆的痛苦。
【译文】 时过境迁,痛苦的往事自然在记忆中淡漠。
【例65】 Perhaps, after all, there was no enigma(费解的事物,谜团)about him, except in the minds of lesser men who found it hard to conceive such tenacity of purpose.
【译文】 也许他身上毕竟没有什么不可思议的东西。所谓不可思议,只是那些不如他的人对他那种坚韧不拔的意志感到不可思议而已。
【例66】 It was an elderly woman, tall and shapely still, though withered by time, on whom his eyes fell when he stopped and turned.
【译文】 他站住,转过身来,定睛一看,是个年迈妇女,个子很高,依然一副好身材,虽然受岁月折磨而显得憔悴。

二、要避免照搬英汉词典中的释义:

【例67】 Like my friend, I now have an alternative to complaining. When I\'m bored with my life, I take my pencils out in the back yard and doodle for an hour, trying to sketch trees that look like trees.
×就像我的朋友一样,我现在有了一种代替抱怨的东西。当我对生活感到厌倦时,我就拿出铅笔到后院去心不在焉地乱涂一个小时,试图画出看上去像树的树木速写。
【译文】 同有位朋友一样,我现在不再抱怨,而是去做一些别的事情。在生活中感到厌倦时,我就拿起铅笔,到后院里随便涂鸦个把小时,画画树林的速写,尽量画得看上去像是树林。
【例68】 His irritation could not withstand the silent beauty of the night.
×他的烦恼经不起安静的良宵美景的感染力。
【译文】 更深夜静,美景宜人,他的烦恼不禁烟消云散。
【例69】 But this arms race strained the government\'s principles as well as its budgets.
【译文】 但是这场军备竞赛使政府的原则无法自圆其说,也使其预算捉襟见肘。

III、课堂练习(将下列句子译成汉语,并注意运用汉语的表达优势使译文尽量通顺流畅):

1. She showered us with telegrams.
2. Your comment is more bravely made than correct.
3. The man, more dead than alive, was brought in and locked in the cellar.
4. Civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof.
5. There was something original, independent, and heroic about the plan that pleased all of them.
6. It was a dry, cold hand, and the grip was severe, with more a feeling of bones in it than friendliness.
7. Hitler\'s mistakes gave Roosevelt the victory: just as at Waterloo it was less Wellington who won than Napoleon who lost.
8. If an entrepreneur was suddenly given as much money as he wanted would he stop his activities or use the money to develop new ones? History is very much on the side of the new activities.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 她的电报纷至沓来。
2. 你的评论勇敢有余,正确不足。
3. 那人被半死不活地带进地窖关了起来。
4. 谦恭不是软弱,真诚总须凭据。
5. 这个方案富于创造性,独出心裁,很有魄力,所以他们都很满意。
6. 那是一只干瘪冰冷的手,紧紧的一握,只让人觉得摸到一把骨头,并没有感受到什么友情。
7. 希特勒犯下的错误使罗斯福取得了胜利:正如在滑铁卢战场上,与其说是威灵顿赢了,不如说是拿破仑输了。
8. 如果一名企业家突然得到他想要的那么多钱,他会停止经营活动呢,还是会用这笔钱去开拓新的经营活动?历史表明,企业家多半会去开拓新的经营活动。

V、课外练习(将以下短文译成汉语,注意运用汉语汉语的表达优势使译文尽量通顺流畅):

If an occupation census had been taken in the eleventh century it would probably have revealed that quite 90 percent of the people were country inhabitants who drew their livelihood from farming, herding, fishing or the forest. An air photograph taken at that time would have revealed spotted villages, linked together by unsurfaced roads and separated by expanses of forest or swamp. There were some towns, but few of them housed more than 10,000 persons. A second picture, taken in the mid-fourteenth century would show that the villages had grown more numerous and also more widespread, for Europeans had pushed their frontier outward by settling new areas. There would be more people on the roads, rivers and seas, carrying food or raw materials to towns which had increased in number, size and importance. But a photograph taken about 1450 would reveal that little further expansion had taken place during the preceding hundred years.  

Any attempt to describe the countryside during those centuries is prevented by two difficulties. In the first place, we have to examine the greater part of Europe\'s 3,750,000 square miles, and not merely the Mediterranean lands. In the second place, the inhabitants of that wide expanse refuse to fit into our standard pattern or to stand still.  

In 1450, most Europeans probably lived in villages, but some regions were so hilly, lacking in good soil, or heavily timbered that villages could not keep going, and settlement was that of solitary herdsmen or shepherds. Some areas had better access to market than others and were therefore more involved in commercial agriculture than in farming. Large landowners were more likely than small landlords to run their estates and especially their domains more systematically -- and also to keep those records from which we learn most of what we know about the subject. Some areas had never been quite feudalized; their farmers were more free from lordship and even from landlordship. Some regions had been recently settled, and their tenants had been offered liberal terms of tenure in order to lure them into the wilderness. Finally, there was a time element; the expansion and prosperity that characterized the period from the twelfth to the fifteenth century produced or maintained conditions which were unsuitable to the stormier days preceding or the lean ones following it.  (384 words)
Unit 9

I、课外练习参考译文:

如果在11世纪作一项职业调查的话,也许会发现,竟有90%的人住在农村,依靠农耕、放牧、捕鱼或采伐谋生。当时如果拍下一张航摄照片的话,可以看到未经铺设的道路连接的散落村子,中间隔着一片片的森林或沼泽。也有几座城镇,但人口很少有超过一万的。在14世纪中叶再拍一张照片,可以看到村子的数目多了,分布也广了,因为欧洲人开辟了新的定居地区,从而拓展了疆域。道路上和江海上往来的人多了,他们把粮食或原料运往城镇。城镇的数目多了,规模大了,重要性也增加了。但是,如果在1450年前后拍一张照片的话,就会看到在此以前的几百年间几乎没有继续发展。

要想描写这几百年间农村的情形无法做到,困难有二。首先,我们必须观察的是欧洲375万平方英里的大部分地区,而不仅仅是地中海一带地方。其次,这一广阔地区的居民无法用我们的标准模式去进行划分,他们也不是一成不变。
1450年时可能大多欧洲人住在村落里,但有些地区山陵起伏,缺少沃土,或者砍伐过度,村落难以维持,只有一些孤独的牧民集居于此。有些地区通往集市的交通较其他地区方便,因而从事商业性农业多于单一耕作。大土地主比小地主更有可能对其地产,尤其是其领地,进行系统化的管理--而且作了记载,使我们得以从中了解有关本课题的大部分情况。有些地区没有实施过多少封建统治,农民很少受到领主的管辖,甚至很少受到地主的管辖。有些地区是新定居地,对租地户提供宽松的租赁条件来吸引他们开垦荒地。最后一点是时代因素:作为12到15世纪时期特征的发展和繁荣所产生并具有的种种条件,并不适合在此之前的动荡岁月,也不适合在此之后的贫乏年代。

II、英汉翻译原理第四讲:怎样表达译文?(续)

二、要避免照搬英汉词典的释义:(续)
【例70】 The team is famous for its arsenal of veteran players.
【译文】 这个球队拥有众多经验丰富的老队员,很有名气。
【例71】 These new shoes squeak.
【译文】 这双新鞋走起路来咯吱咯吱响。

三、要充分运用汉语独特的表达优势:
【例72】 Whatever you like to eat, just tell me.
×无论你想吃什么东西,只要告诉我。
【译文】 想吃什么,只要告诉我。
【例73】 Even if you go there, there wouldn\'t be any result.
×即使你去了,也不会有什么结果。
【译文】 你去了也是白去。
【例74】 I grieve to leave Thornfield: I love Thornfield -- I love it, because I have lived in it a full and delightful life -- momentarily at least. I have not been trampled on. I have not been petrified. I have nor been burned with inferior minds, and excluded from every glimpse of communion with what is bright and energetic and high. I have talked, face to face with what I reverence, with what I delight in -- with an original, a vigorous, an expanded mind. I have known you, Mr. Rochester; and it strikes me with terror and anguish to feel I absolutely must be torn from you for ever. I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of death.
【译文】 离开桑菲尔德,我黯然神伤:我爱此地--因为此地曾有过一段充实愉悦的日子--至少曾短时间有过。我没有遭人践踏,没有变得麻木,没有埋没于小人堆里,没有脱离过明媚灿烂、生机勃勃、高尚脱俗的一切,始终与之息息相通。在此曾经与一位十分崇敬、乐意与之交谈的人--一位思想独创、精力充沛、心胸开阔的人--直面倾谈。罗切斯特先生,与你相识了,却又一定要与你永远分离,想到此处令我既感恐惧又觉痛楚,犹如面对必将来临的死亡。
【例75】 Wounded as he was, it was wonderful how fast he could move, his grizzled hair tumbling over his face, and his face itself red with his haste and fury.
【译文】 他虽然受了伤, 动作却快得出奇,斑白的头发披散在脸前,脸也因气急败坏而涨得通红。
【例76】 As Caesar loved me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honour him; but as he was ambitious, I slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his ambition.
【译文】 因为凯撒爱我,我为他哭泣;因为他幸运,我为他高兴;因为他英勇,我对他尊崇;但因为他有野心,我就刺杀了他。用眼泪汇报他的爱;用欢乐庆祝他的幸运;用尊崇纪念他的英勇;而用刺杀制止他的野心。
【例77】 A big nation has its problems while a small nation has its advantages.
【译文】 大国有大国的问题,小国有小国的好处。
【例78】 Foreign intervention will thus find justification.
×外国的干涉因此而找到正当的理由。
【译文】 外国的干涉因此而名正言顺。
【例79】 He spoke with firmness, but his face was very sad and his eyes were dim.
×他讲得很坚定,但脸色很凄伤,双眼闪出悲观的神情。
【译文】 他讲话时语气坚定,但面带愁容,眼神暗淡。
【例80】 He was but a man with many grey hairs, with a heavy burden of responsibility, of thoughts and worries.
×他已是长了许多灰发、肩负重任、心中充满思考和忧虑的人。
【译文】 他已是鬓发斑白,肩负重任,思绪万千,焦虑满怀。
【例81】 Gathering facts, confirming then, suggesting theories, testing them, and organizing findings -- this is all the work of science.
×收集资料,对它们进行论证,提出理论,对它们进行检验,加上对研究成果进行归纳整理--这就是全部的科学工作。
【译文】 收集资料,论证资料,提出理论,检验理论,并对研究成果进行归纳整理--这就是科学工作的全部内容。

III、课堂练习(将以下句子译成汉语,并注意运用汉语的表达优势使译文尽量通顺流畅):

1. He intends to take an action in grand style.
2. He arrived on Sunday night, tired and dusty.
3. This type of marriage is characterized by constant conflict, tension, and bitterness.
4. The nation\'s tradition, its instincts, and its interest make it opposed to Germany.
5. Education suggests both the process and the result of developing the mind\'s capacity and scope.
6. Small talk is what friends make when standing around doing nothing. Small talk serves as a good ice breaker when people do not know each other.
7. Primary commodities constitute the determining factor of employment, income, living standards and government development expenditure in the vast majority of developing countries.
8. Under the moral precept we should recoil at human cloning, because it inevitably entails using humans as means to other humans\' ends -- valuing them as copies of others we loved or as collections of body parts, not as individuals in their own right.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 他想轰轰烈烈地大干一场。
2. 他星期日晚上到了,风尘仆仆,精疲力竭,
3. 这种婚姻关系的特点是冲突不断、关系紧张、怨恨不已。
4. 该民族的历史传统、民族本能和民众爱好都使其与德国势不两立。
5. 教育同时意味着培养智能和拓展视野的过程和结果。
6. 朋友们相聚无所事事的时候会闲谈,陌生人见面为打破沉寂的时候也会闲谈。
7. 初级商品对于大多数发展中国家都是关系到就业收入、生活水平和政府发展费用的决定性因素。
8. 按照这一道德戒律,我们应规避克隆人的做法,因为这种做法必然会造成把人作为他人达到目的的手段,把人看作一个个所爱之人的复制品,或者看作一组组的人体器官,而不是看作一个个具有独立人格的人。

Science finds order and meaning in our experience, and sets about this in quite a different way. It sets about it as Newton did in the story which he himself told in his old age, and of which the schoolbooks give only a caricature.

In the year 1665, when Newton was twenty-two, the plague broke out in southern England, and the University of Cambridge was closed. Newton therefore spent the next eighteen months at home, removed from traditional learning, at a time when he was impatient for knowledge and, in his own phrase, "I was in the prime of my age for invention." In this eager, boyish mood, sitting one day in the garden of his widowed mother, he saw an apple fall.  

What struck the young Newton at the sight was not the thought that the apple must be drawn to the earth by gravity; that conception was older than Newton. What struck him was the conjecture that the same force of gravity, which reaches to the top of the tree, might go on reaching out beyond the earth and its air, endlessly into space. Gravity might reach the moon: this was Newton\'s new thought; and it might be gravity which holds the moon in her orbit.  

There and then he calculated what force from the earth would hold the moon, and compared it with the known force of gravity at tree height. The forces agreed; Newton says laconically, "I found the answer pretty nearly." Yet they agreed only nearly: the likeness and the approximation go together, for no likeness is exact. In Newton\'s science modern science is full grown. (272 words)
Unit 10

I、课外练习参考译文:

科学从经验中发现事物的法则和意义,而且发现的方法判然不同。科学发现的方法就如牛顿在晚年的自述中所讲述的方法,而这种方法在教科书里只有夸张的描述。

1665年牛顿22岁的时候,英格兰南部瘟疫爆发,剑桥大学关门了。于是以后的18个月牛顿就在家里度过。正值渴求知识之时却脱离了传统方式的学习。用他本人的话说,“当时我正处于发明创造的大好年华。”带着这种孩子气的迫切心情,有一天他坐在寡母的园子里,看到一只苹果掉落下来。

年轻的牛顿看到苹果掉落时,想到的不是苹果一定受到地球引力的作用而落到地面,那种想法早在牛顿之前就有了。他想到的是,到达树梢的这一地球引力有可能超越地球和大气层,继续向外延伸到漫无止境的空间。地球引力可能传到月球。这才是牛顿的新想法;也许正是地球引力才保持月球在轨道上的运行。

牛顿当即测算了地球要吸引住月球需要多大的力,并将其与果树高度的已知地球引力作了比较。两种力是一致的。牛顿扼要地说道:“我发现答案十分接近。”然而,两者之间只是接近而已:相似与接近是不可分割的,因为没有一种相似是绝对精确的。正是从牛顿的科学中现代科学才得到了充分的发展。

II、英汉翻译原理第四讲:怎样表达译文:(续)

四、要完整无遗地传达原文的意义:
【例82】 Before we can learn to appreciate those different from us, we must open our hearts to tolerance.
×在我们学会正确评价与自己不同的人之前,我们必须胸襟开阔,能够忍让。
【译文】 我们要心胸开阔,善于忍让,才能学会正确评价与自己不同的人。
【例83】 Any person not leaving litter in this basket will be liable to a fine of £5.
×凡不往这个篓内扔杂物者罚款5镑。
【译文】 杂物须扔入篓内,凡乱扔者罚款5镑。
【例84】 At the sight of Napoleon, the young Frenchman clicked his heels together.
×年青的法国人一见到拿破仑就把两只脚跟喀嚓并在一起。
【译文】 年青的法国士兵一见拿破仑就两脚喀嚓一声并拢,立正敬礼。

五、遣字造句要结合和借鉴语景:
【例85】 If a heavy body is to be lifted to a certain height, work must be done, or energy expended, equal to the weight of the body multiplied by the height through which it is raised.
【译文】 如果把重物举到一定高度,一定要做功或者消耗能;而这个功或能就等于物体重量乘以物体举起的高度。
【例86】 Sony\'s $3.4 billion deal for Columbia Pictures marks Japan\'s biggest U.S. takeover ever -- and adds to fears that it is "buying America" and taking an invincible lead in trade and technology.
【译文】 索尼公司用34亿美元买下了哥抡比亚电影公司,这是迄今为止日本对美国一笔金额最大的收购,而且使人们更加担心日本正在“收购美国”,正在贸易和技术方面不可阻挡地发挥着主导作用。
【例87】 The continental United States stretches 4,500 kilometers from the Atlantic Ocean on the east to the Pacific Ocean on the west. It borders Canada on the north, and reaches south to Mexico and the Gulf of Mexico.
【译文】 美国大陆东起大西洋西至太平洋,横跨4,500公里。北与加拿大接壤,南与墨西哥和墨西哥弯毗邻。
【例88】 Voting ballots are unsigned and marked by the voters in private booths so that no one else can find out for whom a citizen is voting.
【译文】 选票不记名,由选民在隔离的投票站里圈出被选举人,别人无法知道哪一位公民投了谁的票。
【例89】 That the vitamin is sensitive to light was recognized only later.
×维生素感光只是后来承认的。
【译文】 人们只是到后来才认识到维生素的光敏作用。

六、要善于运用各种翻译技巧:
【例90】 A change in the operating frequency is easily accomplished by operating atch installed on a monitoring alarm.
【译文】 操作监视告警器上的开关,工作频率就会自然产生变化。

III、课堂练习(将以下句子译成汉语,译文表达应通顺流畅):

1. The government left its policy open to various interpretations.
2. To see his likeness perpetuated in marble is to me today a sad but pleasing sensation.
3. I suppose he will be awfully proud, and that I shall be treated most contemptuously. Still I must bear my hard lot as well as I can.
4. The longest life and the shortest amount to the same. For the present is of equal duration for all, and what we lose is not ours.
5. Many Londoners believe that the city needs to have all its transport requirements looked at together to ensure that the entire transport system works as a single, efficient unit.
6. Henry Ford did not invent the automobile, but he was the first man to mass-manufacture it, and this made it available to the ordinary man.
7. The Labour government says that the private sector should take most, but not all, of the responsibility for public transport. In London, the underground railway system -- known as the "Tube" -- is likely to be where this policy is first put into practice.
8. It\'s raining, again. As I lie awake in bed, listening to the sound of those razor-sharp drops pounding on the pavement, my mind goes reeling down dark corridors teeming with agonizing flashbacks, and a chill from within fills me with dread. It\'s raining, again.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 政府听任人们对其政策作各种解释。
2. 今天看到了他永垂不朽的大理石雕像,我悲喜交集。
3. 我猜他准是傲气十足,不把我放在眼里。尽管如此,我也只好尽量逆来顺受了。
4. 最长寿和最短暂的人生是相同的,因为目前这段时间对所有人来说都一样长,时间一旦失去就不再属于我们。
5. 许多伦敦人认为,伦敦需要对全部交通需求作通盘考虑,从而确保整个交通系统成为一个统一高效的运行机构。
6. 汽车不是亨利?福特发明的,但他却是大批量生产汽车的第一人,从而使普通老百姓能够拥有汽车。
7. 工党政府说,私营企业应承担起公共交通的大部分业务,而不是全部业务。这项政策可能首先在当地人称作“Tube”的伦敦地铁系统付诸实施。
8. 天,又下雨了。我躺在床上睡不着,听着雨点劈里啪啦地打着路面,思绪万千,恍恍惚惚地走进了幽暗的通道,脑际浮现出许多痛苦的往事,心里一阵冰凉,不由得毛骨悚然。天,又下雨了。

V、课外练习(将以下短文译成汉语,注意译文表达的通顺流畅):

It was a bleak, rainy day, and I had no desire to drive up the winding mountain road to my daughter Carolyn\'s house. But she had insisted that I come see something at the top of the mountain.

Turning down a narrow track, we parked the car and got out. We walked along a path that was thick with old pine needles. Huge blackgreen evergreens towered over. Gradually the peace and silence of the place began to fill my mind. Then we turned a corner -- and I stopped and gasped in amazement.  

From the top of the mountain, sloping for several acres across folds and valleys, were rivers of daffodils in radiant bloom. A profusion of color -- from the palest ivory to the deepest lemon to the most vivid salmon -- blazed like a carpet before us. It looked as though the sun had tipped over and spilled gold down the mountainside.
A riot of questions filled my mind. Who created such beauty? Why? How?
As we approached the home that stood in the center of the property, we saw a sign: ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS I KNOW YOU ARE ASKING. The first answer was: ONE WOMAN -- TWO HANDS, TWO FEET AND VERY LITTLE BRAIN. The second was: ONE AT A TIME. The third: STARTED IN 1958.

As we drove home, I was so moved by what we had seen I could scarcely speak. "She changed the world," I finally said, "one bulb at a time. She started almost 40 years ago, probably just the beginning of an idea, but she kept at it." The wonder of it would not let me go. "Imagine," I said, "if I\'d had a vision and worked at it, jut a little bit every day, what might have I accomplished?"  (299 words)
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-7-5 10:18:40 | 显示全部楼层
Unit 11

I、课外练习参考译文:
凄风细雨,山路蜿蜒,我毫无兴致驱车前往女儿卡罗琳的家。可女儿一定要我前去看看山顶上的什么景致。
转过一条狭窄的小道我们停下车出来,沿着铺满厚厚一层松针的小路走去。头顶上高大的墨绿色常青树耸入云霄。渐渐地这地方的平和宁静开始令我陶醉。然后我们拐了个弯,我停下了脚步,惊诧不已。
从山顶往下好几英亩的山坡上,满是怒放的水仙花,犹如江河直下,越过山坳,穿过峡谷,一片五彩缤纷:有洁净无比的象牙白,有极其浓郁的柠檬黄,有鲜艳夺目的鲑鱼橙,如同一幅地毯展现在我们面前,令人眼花缭乱。仿佛太阳倾翻了,把一片金光溢泻到了山坡上。
一大堆问题在我的脑海中翻腾。谁创造了这种美景?为什么要创造?又是如何创造的?
我们走近这块宝地中央的屋子,只见一块牌子上写着:我知道你要问的问题,答案如下。答案一:一位妇女,一双手,两只脚 ,而且天资不高。答案二:一次种一株。答案三:开始于1958年。
驱车回家的路上,我为所见的一切感动不已,无言以对。“她改造了世界,”我终于说道。“一次种一株。她几乎40年前就开始了。当时也许只是一念之闪,但她持之以恒。” 这一奇观令我回味良久。“试想,”我说道,“如果我有一个梦想,并为之努力,每天干一点,最后我会做出怎样的成绩呢?”

II、英汉翻译原理第五讲: 有哪些常用的翻译技巧?
【例91】 We should help in ways which are mutually beneficial to both developing and developed countries.
×我们应以对发展中国家和发达国家双方都有利的方法援助。
【译文】 我们的援助方法应对发展中国家和发达国家双方都有利。
一、词性转译法:
(一)转译成动词:
【例92】 For Westerners in China, the establishment of an effective team of managers means attracting -- and retaining both expatriate and local management talent.
【译文】 对于在中国的西方人来说,建立一支有效的管理人员队伍意味着要同时吸引并留住来自海外的管理人才和本地的管理人才。
1、名词转译成动词:
【例93】 The remembrance of these will add zest to his life.
×对于这些事情的回想将会增添他生活的乐趣。
【译文】 回想起这些事情,使他的生活增添了乐趣。
【例94】 He looked on the Convention as a fair and faithful representation of the people.
×他认为这次大会是人民的公正忠实的代表。
【译文】 他认为这次大会公正忠实地代表了人民。
【例95】 Other governmental activities are the responsibilities of the individual states, which have their own constitutions and laws.
×其他政府活动则是各个州的责任,各州都有自己的宪法和法律。
【译文】 其他政府职能则由各个州来承担,各州都有自己的宪法和法律。
【例96】 The sight and sound of our jet planes filled me with special longing.
【译文】 看到我们的喷气式飞机,听到隆隆的机声,我感到特别神往。
【例97】 To my knowledge, some computers have gone missing.
【译文】 据我所知,有几台计算机失踪了。
【例98】 He was a good listener and they would like to talk with him.
×他是个好听众,所以他们喜欢同他谈话。
【译文】 他善于听取别人意见,所以他们喜欢同他谈心。
2、介词、副词转译成动词:
【例99】 With a rifle across his shoulder the boy was playing the soldier.
【译文】 那男孩肩上扛着枪在装士兵。
【例100】 They worked long hours on meager food, in cold caves, by dim lamps.
【译文】 他们吃的是简陋的饭菜,住的是寒冷的窑洞,在昏暗的灯光下长时间地工作。
【例101】 The street runs westward, across a great bridge, down a hill and up again, by little shops and meat-markets, past single-storied homes, until suddenly it stops against a wide green lawn.
【译文】 这条大街向西而去,跨过一座大桥,延伸下坡后又上坡,经过了几家店铺和肉市,又越过了几幢平房,最后在一片开阔的绿草坪前突然到了尽头。
【例102】 Training as a salesperson would guarantee her some employment once her schooling was through.
【译文】 参加推销员培训就会确保他在学业完成以后能找到工作做。
3、形容词转译成动词:
【例103】 He must have been aware that his parents\' marriage was breaking up.
【译文】 他一定已经知道父母的婚姻关系正在破裂。
【例104】 Our computerized stock control system is now operative.
【译文】 本公司的库存管理计算机系统现已运行。
【例105】 His indulgent mother was willing to let him do anything he wanted.
【译文】 他母亲很宠他,他不管想干什么她都愿意让他干。

III、课堂练习(运用各种翻译技巧,将下列句子译成流畅通顺的汉语):
1. He who is subject to temptations tends to err.
2. It is the first time that the bigger hydraulic motors have been used in a UK application.
3. Talking with his son, the old man was the forgiver of the young man\'s past wrong doings.
4. In the event of any conflict between this paragraph and the production acceptance test schedule, the latter shall prevail,
5. He had never been a medical student, yet he was given one of those rare honorary degrees of Doctor of Science.
6. There were no sounds but that of the tread of the men and the footsteps of the two shaggy ponies which drew the van.
7. He studied law in his spare time and became a lawyer. He was a good speaker and student of political philosophy. His ability finally made a name for him.
8. The interest the United Nations has always shown in this problem, which has been a distinguishing feature of its work since its inception, has increased as the newly independent countries joined its ranks.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:
1. 不能抗拒诱惑的人往往要犯错误。
2. 这种大功率液压马达在英国的应用尚属首次。
3. 老人在同儿子谈话时宽恕了年轻人过去的种种劣迹。
4. 如本节所述内容与生产验收试验规范相冲突,则以试验规范为准。
5. 他从来没有上过医学院,但他却获得了理学博士这样难得的荣誉学位。
6. 此时只听见沙沙的脚步声和两匹鬃毛蓬松的拉车小马得得的马蹄声,除此之外,万籁俱寂。
7. 他利用业余时间攻读法律,后来当了律师。他口才很好,还精通政治哲学。他的才能最终使他出了名。
8. 联合国对这一问题始终非常关心,这是它成立以来工作中的一个显著特点。随着一些新独立国家加入联合国的队伍,这种关心更增强了。

V、课外练习(将以下短文译成汉语,注意运用各种翻译技巧使译文流畅通顺):

The relationship many of us have with nature is characterized by our attitude toward insects. "Ugh! Yuk! There\'s a bug. Squash it!" It seems that ladybugs and butterflies are the only insects that escape the all-bugs-are-beastly attitude.
Hostility and fear are universally the products of ignorance, and our antagonism is no exception. One cannot deny that insects are a nuisance when their bites become sore, and a threat when they transmit disease, but, viewed dispassionately, even noxious insects are beautiful.  
From having studied their fossilized remains, we know that insects have inhabited the earth for nearly 400 million years. Today we find them abundantly everywhere we look. Insects have been discovered on the snow of the polar caps and the peaks of high mountains.  
Bees, wasps, ants and termites have intricate societies in which different members are specialized for foraging, defense and reproduction. The life of a worker honeybee is even separated into successive occupations: during the first three weeks the young worker grooms the queen and her eggs, cleans out the hive, cools it by wing-fanning at the entrance, and attacks or walls in intruders. Only after this apprenticeship is the graduate allowed to leave the hive and forage for nectar and pollen.  
Add to such behavior the fact that some ants use leaf fragments as spoons in which to carry soft food back to their nest, and one is tempted to describe insects as "intelligent" and begin to make comparisons between insect and human societies.  
It saddens me that people deny themselves the simple pleasure of appreciating the exquisite elegance of even the more common insects. Only a moment with a hand lens is required to discover a new world of design and beauty.   (288 words)  
Unit 12

I、课外练习参考译文:

我们很多人与自然的关系表现于我们对昆虫的态度。“哎呀!有只虫子,快踩死它!”看来,只有瓢虫和蝴蝶才得以幸免于这种讨厌所有虫子的态度。
一切仇视和惧怕都是由于无知,我们对昆虫的敌视态度也不例外。不可否认,昆虫叮咬引起疼痛让人不好受,而且昆虫还会传播疾病;但是,如果冷静地看一看,即使害虫也非常美丽。
我们从昆虫遗骸化石的研究中获知,昆虫在地球上已生存了将近4亿年。今天我们无论在哪里都能看到大量昆虫。在极地的雪原和高山的顶峰都发现过昆虫。
蜜蜂、黄蜂、蚂蚁、白蚁等昆虫都有关系复杂的群落,群落中不同的成员有专门的分工:有的觅食,有的防卫,有的传种接代。工蜂的一生甚至先后分别承担几种工作:最初三周的幼蜂负责照料蜂王和峰卵,清洁蜂巢,在入口处扇动翅膀为蜂巢降温,攻击或围歼入侵者。只有在这个学习阶段期满之后,工蜂才能离开蜂巢出去采集花蜜和花粉。
除了这种行为之外,有些蚂蚁还能用碎叶片当勺子把流质食物运回巢穴。你不禁会说昆虫是“智能动物”,并把昆虫群落与人类社会加以比较。
有些很普通的昆虫其实非常漂亮精致,这种欣赏的乐趣唾手可得,然而人们偏偏不愿意去体验,真是令人痛心。只要拿起一个手提放大镜,片刻之间你就会发现一个充满美丽图案的新世界。

II、英汉翻译原理第五讲:有哪些常用的翻译技巧?(续)

(二)转译成名词:
1、名词派生的动词
【例106】 In Greek mythology, love is personified by the goddess Aphrodite.
【译文】 在希腊神话中,阿佛洛狄特女神是爱的化身。
【例107】 Bright colours and bold strokes characterize his early paintings.
【译文】 他早期绘画的特点是色彩鲜明,笔法粗犷。
【例108】 They are already planning to staff the management in the event the joint venture is formed.
【译文】 他们已经在打算合资企业一旦建成后经理部门的人事安排。
2、形容词
【例109】 He felt responsible for her death.
【译文】 他觉得她的死他有责任。
【例110】 Lack of trust is very destructive in a relationship.
【译文】 缺乏信任对人际关系的危害很大。

(三)转译成形容词:
【例111】 Diligence and intelligence are of considerable importance to your success.
【译文】 勤奋和才智对于获得成功是颇为重要的。
【例112】 I have so much work to do that a holiday for me this year is out of the question.
【译文】 我有很多工作要做,今年休假是不可能的了。
【例113】 It\'s such a nuisance that I\'ve got to work on Saturday.
【译文】 我星期六还得上班,真讨厌。
【例114】 As he was a perfect stranger in the city, I hope you will give him the necessary help.
【译文】 他对这座城市完全陌生,所以我希望你能给他必要的帮助。
【例115】 There\'s no point arguing about it -- just do as you\'re told.
【译文】 争论是没有意义的,叫你怎么做你就怎么做。

(四)其它词性转译:
【例116】 The dominant factor in the growth of the company in question throughout the years has been its success in maintaining technical superiority in product design and manufacturing techniques.
【译文】 该公司多年来发展壮大的主要因素是一贯成功地保持了产品设计和制造工艺上的技术优势。
【例117】 This time-lag is difficult to explain, but there are three possible reasons.
【译文】 这种时滞现象很难解释,但可能有三个原因。
【例118】 People would benefit greatly from a pollution-free vehicle.
【译文】 无污染车辆会给人们带来很大的好处。

二、分句法和合句法:
(一)分句法:
【例119】 He visited many places, in all of which he was received with the usual enthusiasm which attended his arduous labours.
×他访问了许多地方,到处受到对他的艰苦努力所一贯表示的热情欢迎。
【译文】 他访问了许多地方,到处受到热情的欢迎。他的艰苦努力是一贯受到热请欢迎的。
【例120】 Eventually, more as a last hope than with any real confidence in a result, a sub-committee was formed to try to reconcile differences between them.
×最后,对其结果并无真正信心,只是抱有最后一点希望,成立了一个小组委员会,试图调解他们之间的分歧。
【译文】 最后成立了一个小组委员会试图调解他们之间的分歧。这只是最后一点希望,对其结果如何并非真有信心。
【例121】 Knowledge is a comfortable and necessary retreat and shelter for us in an advanced age, and if we do not plant it while young, it will give us no shade when we grow old.
【译文】 知识是人到老年时舒适而又必需的精神归宿。如果年轻时不种下知识之树,老年时就得不到树荫的遮蔽。
【例122】 He has long been held in cordial contempt by his colleagues; now that contempt was no longer cordial.
【译文】 长期以来,他的同僚们虽然看不起他,却还是对他有些亲切感;现在,除了看不起之外,亲切感已没有了。
【例123】 The society dismisses much of accepted modern thinking about the shape of the earth as sheer nonsense.
【译文】 该协会否定现代关于地球形状的公认看法,认为都是一派胡言。

1. When he catches a glimpse of a potential antagonist, his instinct is to win him over with charm and humor.
2. You are free to go out and see and meet people, and therefore you have control over loneliness; you are not its prisoner.
3. Occasionally a drizzle came down, and the intermittent flashes of lightning made us turn apprehensive glances toward the distance.
4. Rich women for the most part keep themselves busy with innumerable trifles of whose earth-shaking importance they are firmly persuaded.
5. I talked to him with brutal frankness.
6. He took a house on a lease of ten years.
7. As I know more of mankind I expect less of them, and am now ready to call a man a good man more easily than formerly.
8. Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening. Since Darwin, biologists have been firmly convinced that nature works without plan, pursuing no aim by the direct road of design.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 发现有可能反对他的人,他就本能地要以他的魅力和风趣把这个人争取过来。
2. 你可以随意出去走走,去会会别人,所以,你不是孤独的俘虏,你是主人。
3. 偶尔下一点毛毛雨,断断续续的闪电使得我们时不时忧虑地朝远处探望。
4. 有钱的太太小姐们大多忙于无数鸡毛蒜皮的小事请,而且她们深信这些事情都惊天动地非常重要。
5. 我对他讲的话,虽然逆耳,却是忠言。
6. 他租了一栋房子,租期为十年。
7. 随着我对人类了解越多,我的期望就越低。我现在说人家是好人比过去容易得多了。
8. 真理是坚韧的,不会像气泡那样一触即破;不仅如此,还可以像足球一样,整天任人踢来踢去,到晚上还同样形圆气足。

V、课外练习(将以下短文译成汉语,注意运用各种翻译技巧时译文流畅通顺):

In empty-shell marriages the spouses feel no strong attachments to each other. Outside pressures keep the marriage together. Such outside pressures include business reasons, investment reasons and outward appearances. In addition, a couple may believe that ending the marriage would harm the children or that getting a divorce would be morally wrong.  

Three types of empty-shell marriages have been identified. In a devitalized relationship husband and wife lack excitement or any real interest in their spouse or their marriage. Boredom and apathy characterize this marriage. Yet serious arguments are rare. In a conflict-habituated relationship husband and wife frequently quarrel in private. They may also quarrel in public or put up a facade of being compatible. The relationship is characterized by constant conflict, tension, and bitterness. And in a passive-congenial relationship both partners are not happy, but are content with their lives and generally feel adequate. The partners may have some interests in common, but these interests are generally insignificant. This type of relationship generally has little overt conflict.  

The number of empty-shell marriages is unknown -- it may be as high as the number of happily married couples. The atmosphere in empty-shell marriages is without much fun or laughter. Members do not share and discuss their problems or experiences with each other. Communication is kept to a minimum. Children in such families are usually starved for love and reluctant to have friends over as they are embarrassed about having their friends see their parents interacting. The couples in these marriages engage in few activities together and display no pleasure in being in one another\'s company. The members are highly aware of each other\'s weaknesses and sensitive areas, and they manage to frequently mention these areas in order to hurt one another.    (292 words)   

Unit 13

I、课外练习参考译文:
空壳婚姻的配偶双方之间没有很强的依恋感。婚姻的维系依靠种种外界压力,包括事务原因、资产原因以及面子问题。此外,夫妻双方可能认为终止婚姻会殃及孩子,或者认为离婚就是道德败坏。
空壳婚姻有三种类型。一种是死气沉沉的婚姻:在这种婚姻关系中夫妻俩对于配偶或婚姻缺乏激情,或者缺乏真正的兴趣。厌倦冷漠是这种婚姻的特点,但很少有激烈的争吵。第二种是争吵成习的婚姻:在这种婚姻关系中夫妻之间私下里经常争吵,在公开场合也会争吵,或者也会表面上装得和睦相处。这种婚姻关系的特点是冲突不断、关系紧张、怨恨不已。第三种是消极契合的婚姻:这种婚姻关系的双方都不幸福,但生活上满足,通常感到差强人意。双方可能有一些共同兴趣,但这种兴趣一般微不足道。这种婚姻关系通常很少发生公开的冲突。
有多少婚姻是空壳婚姻不得而知,也许同美满婚姻一样多。空壳婚姻的家庭气氛没有什么欢声笑语。家庭成员之间对各自的问题或经历不闻不问,相互交流极少。在这样的家庭中孩子通常缺乏爱,也不愿意请朋友到家里来,因为让朋友看到父母抬杠是非常难堪的。这种婚姻的夫妻很少一起做事情,两人相伴并无乐趣。家庭成员对彼此的弱点和痛处非常清楚,而且还经常千方百计把这些东西挂在嘴边伤害对方。

II、英汉翻译基本原理第五讲:有哪些常用的翻译技巧?(续)
(二)合句法:
【例124】 Towards evening, the attack of the French slackened in its fury. They had other foes besides the British to engage, or were preparing for a final onset.
【译文】 将近傍晚,法军的攻势逐渐松懈,或许因为它们除了英国人之外还有别的交战敌人,或许正在准备发动最后的一次总攻击。
【例125】 The remembrance rankles still in the bosoms of millions of the countrymen. They pant for an opportunity of revenging that humiliation.
【译文】 千百万同胞们至今回想起此事依然觉得懊丧,恨不得有机会赶快报仇雪耻。
【例126】 The coup d\'etat of Thermidor was staged on July 27, 1704. Robespierre and his supporters were overthrown and the Committee of Public Safety was ended.
【译文】 1794年7月27日的热月政变推翻了罗伯斯庇尔及其支持者,公安委员会也随之倒台。

三、被动语态的译法:
(一)译成汉语主动句:
1、原文有动作执行者或其他相关成分可作译文主语时,被动句可译成主动句
【例127】 What is little understood by the outside world is that this is a failure legislated for. It is a failure which has been carefully designed.
【译文】 外界很少有人知道,这种无法做到的情况是立法造成的,是经过精心策划的。
【例128】 American prisoners are permitted to receive Red Cross food parcels.
【译文】 允许美国俘虏领取红十字会的食品包裹。
【例129】 When (it is) seen through a telescope, the sun appears darker near the edge.
【译文】 用望远镜看,太阳接近边缘的部分显得略暗。
【例130】 One must admit that a good deal of discontent is reflected in those statistics.
【译文】 必须承认,这些统计数字反映了许多不满情绪。
【例131】 A surprising amount of one\'s time as a student or professional is spent reporting the results of one\'s research projects for presentation to teachers, managers, and clients.
【译文】 学生或职业人士花费大量时间撰写报告,以向老师、经理或客户讲述研究项目的成果。

2、原文动词的汉语对应动词兼有及物和不及物用法时,被动句可译作主动句
【例132】 The old woman\'s body was found at the end of the alley.
【译文】 老妇人的尸体在小巷尽头发现了。
【例133】 In the move most of the furniture was left to the neighbors or distributed among friends.
【译文】 搬家时大部分家具要么留给了邻居,要么分给了朋友。

3. 运用词性转译法技巧,将英语被动语态译作汉语主动语态
【例134】 Rather than evaluating programs in terms of how happy they make people, how satisfied those people become, programs must be evaluated in terms of the quality of the discontent they engender.
【译文】 对于各项计划的评估,不要看其令人们高兴的程度,使人们满意的程度,而要看其引起的不满情绪属于什么性质。

4. 转换成其他表达方式,将英语被动语态译作汉语主动语态
【例135】 The economic freedom was provided by breaking up large concentration of power.
【译文】 由于打破了权力的高度集中,经济获得了自由。
【例136】 These brokers are paid commissions by the buyers and the sellers for executing the orders.
【译文】 这些经纪人按买家和卖家的嘱咐进行交易,从中收取佣金。
【例137】 Some are deceived into thinking that people like to store up energy, to rest and save themselves as much as possible.
【译文】 有些人误认为人们喜欢积蓄精力,喜欢休息,喜欢尽可能褒扬自己。

5. 重新组织原文的语句结构,将英语被动语态译作汉语主动语态
【例138】 When the ideas of a scientist are expressed in simple mathematical form, new relationships and new channels of investigation often suggest themselves.
【译文】 科学家在用简单的数学形式表达概念时,研究工作常常会表现出新的关系和新的途径。
【例139】 A ten percent reduction in auto accidents has been realized by exercising a tighter control on the highway speed limit.
【译文】 由于加强了公路车速限制,车祸事故减少了一成。
【例140】 The behavior of a fluid flowing through a pipe is affected by a number of factors.
【译文】 在管道中流动的液体,其性能受到多种因素的影响。

1. A group of sharks were spotted off the coast earlier this month.
2. The famous hotel had been practically destroyed by the big fire.
3. The sense of inferiority that he acquired in his youth has never been totally eradicated.
4. Over the years 26 amendments have been added to the Constitution, but the basic document has not been changed.
5. While there are literally thousands of stocks, the ones bought and sold most actively are usually listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
6. I was feeling far from well, as a heavy cold and sore throat were reinforced by the consequences of inoculation against typhoid fever.
7. Spare-time learners are usually the best learners. Their rate of learning is helped by the fact that they want to learn and consequently try to learn.
8. Most people, when they are left free to fill their own time according to their own choice, are at a loss to think of anything sufficiently pleasant to be worth doing.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 本月的前些时候曾发现沿海有一群鲨鱼。
2. 大火使这家著名旅馆几乎化为灰烬。
3. 他年青时形成的自卑感一直没有完全消失。
4. 这些年来宪法增加了26项修正案,但是其基本文件始终未变。
5. 股票的种类数以千计,但买卖最活跃的通常是在纽约证券交易所上市的股票。
6. 我感到很不舒服。本来就得了重感冒,嗓子又疼,加上注射了伤寒预防针,就更严重了。
7. 利用业余时间学习的人往往学得最好,他们想学,所以努力去学,学习中进步因此就很快。
8. 如果让人们根据自己的选择自行安排时间,大多数人会茫然不知所措,想不出什么非常开心的事情值得一做。

The fact that you can look up words in a dictionary can be traced to a man named Noah Webster(诺?韦伯斯特). He produced the first dictionary of American English.  
Noah Webster was a person who loved words. He was born in West Hartford(西哈特福德), Connecticut, in 1758. Webster studied at Yale and later became a teacher and a writer.  
In 1782 Webster was teaching at an elementary school in Goshen(戈申), New York. He saw that the school-books he was using had left out something he felt was important. The books Webster had to use in his teaching came from England. These books were just fine for teaching English children. But they paid no attention to American culture. Remember, the United States had only just won its independence from England. Americans still educated their children the same way the British did. Noah Webster wanted to give his students an education that was strongly American.
To do this, in 1783 he published a spelling book for schoolchildren. Its full title was The American Spelling Book. The spelling guide became very popular. Over the years, it sold more than a hundred million copies. Copies were still being sold during much of the 1900s.  
The spelling book gave Webster the idea for a dictionary of American word usage. Webster published his first dictionary in 1806. It was called the Compendious Dictionary of the English Language. Webster wanted this book to help set rules of American spelling. It contained only about a thousand words.   
In writing his first dictionary, Webster was preparing for something grander. In 1807 he began work on An American Dictionary of the English Language. Webster was seventy years old when he published the first edition of this important work in 1928. (289 words)

Unit 14

I、课外练习参考译文:

词典中能查词,这可以追溯到一位名叫诺?韦伯斯特的人。他编纂了第一本美国英语词典。
诺?韦伯斯特1758年出生于康涅狄格州的西哈特福德,他一生热爱词语。韦伯斯特曾就读于耶鲁大学,后来当了教师,又从事写作。
1782年韦伯斯特在纽约州的戈申教小学。他发现教学使用的课本中缺了点什么,而他觉得这又十分重要。韦伯斯特教学中使用的课本来自英国。这些课本用于英国儿童的教学不失为好教材,但没有考虑美国文化。要知道当时美国刚从英国赢得独立,美国人仍然用英国人的方法教育孩子。韦伯斯特想对学生进行具有浓厚美国特色的教育。
为了实现这一想法,他在1783年出版了一本学生拼写用书,书的全名叫《美式拼写课本》。这本拼写入门当时很受欢迎,几年间销售了一亿多册,直到20世纪还销售了好多年。
出了这本拼写课本以后,韦伯斯特萌发了编写美国词语用法词典的念头。韦伯斯特在1806年出版了第一本词典,名叫《英语简明词典》。韦伯斯特想用这本词典帮助确定美国英语的拼写规则,词典中收录了大约一千个词语。
韦伯斯特在编写第一本词典的过程中就在酝酿编写一部更加宏大的词典。1807年他着手编纂《美国英语词典》。这部重要著作的第一版在1928年出版时,韦伯斯特已经70高龄了。

三、被动语态的译法:
(二)译成汉语被动句:
1、借助“被(…)+ 动词”、“给(…)+ 动词”或“由(以)…+ 动词”的结构
【例141】 His passport was confiscated by the police.
【译文】 他的护照被警方没收了。
【例142】 Any minute we would surely be spotted by enemy planes flying in and out of the airfield.
【译文】 我们随时都会被出入机场的敌机发现。
【例143】 Black people were first brought to America from Africa as slaves.
【译文】 黑人最初是被当作奴隶从非洲贩运到美国的。
【例144】 The dishes were all removed before I had finished eating.
【译文】 我还没有吃完盘子就都给收掉了。
【例145】 The teacher was sacked for slapping a schoolboy.
【译文】 那位教师因为打了一名男生耳光给解雇了。
【例146】 The spaceship will be totally controlled by an on-board electronic computer.
【译文】 这艘宇宙飞船将完全由机载电子计算机控制。
【例147】 Our future is built, bit by bit, minute by minute, by the actions of human beings.
【译文】 我们的未来世界是由人类一点一滴地、一分一秒地创造出来的。
【例148】 Members of Congress, the President, state officials, and those who govern counties and cities, are elected by popular vote. Heads of federal departments are named by the President, and judges are either elected directly by the people or are appointed by elected officials.
【译文】 国会议员、总统、州政府官员以及县长、市长均由民众投票选举。联邦政府各部部长由总统任命,法官由人民直接选举,或由当选官员任命。
2、借助“为…所 + 动词”或“是…(所)+ 动词 + 的”的结构
【例149】 The late 1960\'s was a period of revolt against traditional values. Parents\' ideas were scorned by their children, who accused them of being too concerned with money.
【译文】 20世纪60年代后期是对传统观念造反的年代。父母的想法为孩子们所不齿;孩子们指责他们过于看重金钱。
【例150】 These very elements and compounds are needed to continue life, and nature is fairly efficient in recycling them.
【译文】 这些元素和化合物正是生命延续所需要的,而大自然能够相当有效地将其循环利用。
【例151】 Each transaction is carried out in public, and the information sent electronically to every brokerage office of the nation.
【译文】 每笔交易都是公开进行的,并通过电子设备把交易资料发往全国各地的每一家经纪人事务所。
3、借助“得到…+ 名词”、“受(遭)到…+ 名词”或“予(加)以…+ 名词”的结构
【例152】 This phenomenon can only be explained by assuming that the earth\'s surface is curved.
【译文】 只有假设地球表明呈曲线状,这一现象才能得到解释。
【例153】 People are also troubled because of the participative mood that exists today. This participative phenomenon can be seen in every part of contemporary life.
【译文】 人们受到困扰的另一个原因是当今存在的参与情绪。这种积极参与现象在现代生活中到处可见。
【例154】 The area will have to be protected from too frequent, or too intense, or too careless visiting.
【译文】 这一地区一定要加以保护,不允许过于频繁、过于集中或过于随便地参观访问。

四、长句的翻译
(一)英汉语句的结构差异
【例155】 The principal of a great Philadelphia high school is driven to cry for help (1) in combating the notion (2) that it is undemocratic (3) to run a special program of studies for outstanding boys and girls (4).
【译文】 费城的一所名牌中学为一些出类拔萃的男女学生开设一套特别课程(4),有人认为这种做法不民主(3),结果校长不得不大声疾呼求助人们(1)同这种观念作斗争(2)。
【例156】 It was an old woman(1), tall and shapely still(2), though withered by time(3), on whom his eyes fell(4)when he stopped and turned(5).
【译文】 他站住,转过身来(5),定睛一看(4),是个年迈妇女(1),个子很高,依然一副好身材(2),虽然受岁月折磨而显得憔悴(3)。

1. They were given a hearty welcome.
2. She was arrested for shoplifting but was released on bail.
3. Most letters from his wife are read to him by the nurse in the hospital.
4. We found him in a small, businesslike office and the office was protected by some iron bars.
5. Los Angeles is full of beautiful girls working as waitresses, hoping to be discovered by a movie agent.
6. Perhaps the most important aspect of science fiction\'s role in the modern world is best summed up in a single word: change.
7. Ticket and reservation counters, as well as the future passenger space shuttles, most likely will be located at several airports around the world.
8. Individual rights and freedom are assured in the Constitution and are listed in the first 10 amendments called "the Bill of Rights", which were added in 1791.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 他们受到了热烈的欢迎。
2. 她因偷窃店铺商品被捕,但后来得到保释。
3. 他妻子给他的信件大多数是由医院里的护士念给他听的。
4. 我们在一间井井有条的小办公室里见到了他,办公室装有防护铁栅栏。
5. 落杉矶到处都是当女招待的漂亮姑娘,她们盼着有制片代理人来发现她们。
6. 科幻小说在现代社会中最重要的作用也许可以用一句话来贴切地加以概括:揭示变化。
7. 未来的航天客机以及航天客机的售票订票处都很可能设在世界各地的一些机场内。
8. 个人的权利和自由在宪法中得到保障,并载入1971年增补的最初10项修正案,统称“人权法案”。

Transplant surgeons work miracles. They take organs from one body and integrate them into another, granting the lucky recipient a longer, better life. Sadly, every year thousands of other people are less fortunate, dying while they wait for suitable organs to be found. The terrible constraint on organ transplantation is that every life extended depends on the death of someone young enough and healthy enough to have organs worth transplanting. Such donors are few. The waiting lists are long, and getting longer.
Freedom from this constraint is the dream of every transplant surgeon. So far attempts to make artificial organs have been disappointing: nature is hard to mimic. Hence the renewed interest in trying to use organs from animals.  
Doctors in India have just announced that they have successfully transplanted a heart from a pig into a person. Pressure to increase the number of such xenotransplants(异种器官移植)seems to be growing. In Europe and America, herds of pigs are being specially bred and genetically engineered for organ donation. During 1996 at least two big reports on the subject -- one in Europe and one in America -- were published. They agreed that xenotransplants were permissible on ethical grounds. and cautiously recommended that they be allowed. America\'s Food and Drug Administration has already published draft guidelines for xenotransplantation.
The ethics of xenotransplantation are relatively unworrying. People already kill pigs both for food and for sport; killing them to save a human life seems, if anything, easier to justify. However, the science of xenotransplantation is much less straightforward. (264 words)
Unit 15

I、课外练习参考译文:
器官移植医生身手不凡。他们从一人体内取出器官移植到另一人体内,让幸运的器官接受者延长寿命改善生活。可惜的是,每年还有成千上万的人却没有那么幸运,他们等不及找到合适的器官就死去了。器官移植的最大制约是,每延长一个人的生命一定要有另一个人的死亡,而且这个人必须年青健康其器官具有移植价值。这样的器官供体很少,而等待移植的人数却很多,而且越来越多。
解除这种制约是每个器官移植医生的希望。迄今为止,制作人造器官的种种努力结果不尽人意,因为天地间万物很难仿造。于是,人们又对设法利用动物器官产生了兴趣。
印度的医生刚宣布一条消息,他们把猪的心脏移植于人体已经取得成功。看来人们越来越迫切要求增加这种异体器官的移植。欧洲和美国正在专门培育大批的猪经遗传工程处理后用于提供器官。1996年这一课题至少发表了两篇重要报告,一篇在欧洲,一篇在美国。两篇报告一致认为异种器官移植在伦理上是可行的,并审慎地建议应准予施行。美国的食品和药物管理局已经公布了异种器官移植的管理原则草案。
异种器官移植的伦理问题相对来说不用操心。人们为了食用和娱乐已经在杀猪了,看来杀诸为了救人一命怎么说也更容易证明是合情合理的。然而,异种器官移植科学远非如此简单。

(二)长句翻译的操作方法:
1、理顺原句内部关系,理出句中包含的各语义点
【例157】 The fact that the average Englishman\'s home has become his workshop is partly because he is keen on working with his hands and partly because he feels, for one reason or another that he must do for himself many household jobs for which, some years ago, he would have hired professional help.
【译文】 普通英国人的家已经成了自家的工场,一方面是因为他热衷于自己动手干,另一方面是因为出于某种原因,他觉得许多家务活必须自己干,而这些活在几年前他会雇专人来干的。
【例158】 I wondered (1)how she would feel(2)if she learned that the Negro(3)before whom she had behaved in such an unladylike manner(4)was habitually a white man(3).
【译文】 我心中思衬(1),在一个黑人面前表现得如此有失女士风度(4),倘若得知这个黑人其实是白人时(3),不知她作何感想(2)。

2、将整理出的各语义点按汉语表达习惯重新排列。
【例159】 American schools, both public and private, consist of 12 years of grades(1)-- basically 8 years of elementary school and 4 years of secondary or high school(2), although grades 7 and 8, or 7, 8 and 9 may be housed together in a middle school or junior high school(3).
【译文】 美国的公立学校和私立学校都是由12个年级组成的(1),基本上是8年小学加4年中学(2),虽然7、8两个年级或7、8、9三个年级有可能都在初级中学里就读(3)。
【例160】 It would take me an entire book to list(1)all of the people I have known in my life who spent the majority of their lives as single people(2), but who were the undisputed focus of a large group of friends(3)-- usually serving as problem-solvers, and widely respected and loved(4).
【译文】 我毕生认识了许多人,他们一生中大部分时间都是单身(2),但在朋友群中却无可非议地是个核心人物(3)。他们经常帮人解决问题,广受尊敬,广受爱戴(4)。要把这些人的姓名一一列出的话,恐怕要写一本书(1)。
【例161】 Its beginning obscured by unemployment caused by the world economic slowdown(1), the new technological unemployment(2)may emerge as the great socio-economic challenge of the end of the 20th century(3).
【译文】 新技术出现带来的失业问题(2),尽管起初被全球性经济衰退所引起的失业现象所掩盖(1),但有可能成为20世纪末社会经济的重大难题(3)。
【例162】 He had flown in just the day before from Georgia,(1)where he had spent his vacation(2)basking in the sun(3)after the completion of the construction job(4)he had been engaged in in the South(5).
【译文】 他本来在南方从事一项建筑工程(5),任务完成之后(4),他就上佐治亚去度假(2),享受着阳光(3),前天才坐飞机回来(1)。
【例163】 When the "energy crisis" first came in 1973 - 1974(1), I was living with my family in a cabin on the edge of an area(2)where deer spend the winter(3) in northern Minnesota(2), observing the deer as their behavior changed from more activity in summer and fall to less as winter progressed(4), followed by an increase again in the spring as the snow melted(5).
【译文】 1973-1974年间第一次出现“能源危机”的时候(1),我正和家人住在明尼苏达北部一处鹿群过冬的边缘地带。我们住在一个小屋里(2)(3),观察鹿的生活习性,观察它们如何随着冬季来临从夏秋的活动频繁变得少动的(4),而到春暖雪融时,它们的活动又是如何增加起来的(5)。

3、依照重新排列的语义点顺序用汉语逐点表达
【例164】 Now there is in America a curious combination(1)of pride in having risen to a position where it is no longer necessary to depend on manual labor for a living(2)and genuine delight in what one is able to accomplish with one\'s own hands(3).
【译文】 现在美国有一个奇怪的现象:人们一方面为地位上升不再需要靠体力劳动谋生而感到自豪,另一方面又对能够亲自动手做事而由衷地感到高兴。
【例165】 One of the most heartwarming aspects(1)of people who are born with a facial disfigurement(2), whether minor or major(3), is the number of them(1) who do not allow it to upset their lives(4), even reaching out to help others with the same problem(5).
【译文】 有些人生来面部就有残缺(2),残缺有大有小(3),但令人欣慰的是这些人中很多人(1)并没有因此而生活得不愉快(4),相反,他们倒去主动帮助其他有同样问题的人(5)。
【例166】 Students in these state schools, however, as well as those in private colleges, must pay tuition(1), but the state schools are much less expensive than private ones(2), particularly for students who are residents of the state(3).
【译文】 但是,这些州立学校的学生以及私立学院的学生都须缴纳学费(1),不过州立学校的学费比私立学校的学费便宜得多(2),对常住本州的学生来说尤为便宜(3)。
【例167】 From the corner of my eye, I saw Phil, pale, slack-jawed, eyes wide with amazement and adoration combined. We listened to Jenny finish the sonnet, which was in its way a kind of prayer.
【译文】 我从眼角里瞅见菲尔,他脸色苍白,半张着嘴,眼睛瞪得大大的,又是惊讶又是崇敬。我们听着詹尼念完诗,那简直就是一篇极有特色的祈祷词。
【例168】 They went in to dinner. It was excellent, and the wine was good. Its influence presently had its effect on them. They talked not only without acrimony, but even with friendliness.
【译文】 他们走进餐厅去吃饭。美酒加佳肴。喝着酒,吃着菜,气氛顿时起了变化。不仅没有恶言相向,言语间还十分投机。

1. I hope that the meeting will not be too long, for it will only waste time.
2. In a nation too young to have mythic heroes, men and women must substitute.
3. If you are retired, if you are a housewife, if you have what others might consider a humble job -- whatever it is that you do most of the day -- be proud of it.
4. Rushing throngs, blinded by the darkness and the smoke, rushed up on a street and down the next, trampling the fallen in a crazy fruitless dash toward safely.
5. In order to retain Chinese managers, joint ventures also must devise human resource policies that are sensitive to the ways in which Chinese employees differ from those in the West.
6. Engels spoke with the authority and confidence, born of forty years\' closest friendship and intellectual intimacy, during which he had grasped, as no other man had, the full significance of Marx\'s teachings.
7. I take heart from the fact that, the enemy, which boasts that it can occupy the strategic point in a couple of hours, has not yet been able to take even the outlying regions, because of the stiff resistance that gets in the way.
8. If you\'re stuck with someone and feeling tongue-tied, console yourself by remembering that the other person may be feeling as agonized as you. Summon up a burst of energy, and find something on which to compliment him or her.

IV、课堂练习参考译文:

1. 我希望这次会议不要开得太久,那样会浪费时间。
2. 这样一个年青的民族不可能有神话中的英雄,于是必然有真实的男女人物来取而代之。
3. 你已经退休也好,你是家庭妇女也好,或者你干的工作别人瞧不起也好 - 不管你整天在干什么,都要因此而自豪。
4. 人群在黑暗和浓烟中盲目狂奔,穿街过巷,踩着倒在地上的身躯,惊惶失措地往安全的地方冲去,结果却是徒劳。
5. 为了留住中国本地管理人员,合资企业还必须制定适应中国雇员与西方雇员之间种种差异的人力资源政策。
6. 四十年最亲密的友谊和思想契合赋予了恩格斯说这番话的资格和信心。经过这四十年,他对马克思学说意义的了解比任何人都彻底。
8. 敌人吹嘘能在几小时内占领战略要地,由于遭到了顽强的抵抗,甚至连外围地带也没有占领,这让我增强了信心。
9. 倘若和别人无言以对面面相觑时,无须烦恼,切记对方或许跟你一样心里感到不好受。你要打起精神来,找些好听的话向对方说说。

Watching them hop on the presidential merry-go-round again makes you wonder what makes them run. After all, they didn\'t have a very merry ride the last time -- but the older they get, the harder they try.
One explanation is that presidential ambition is an addiction as powerful as sex or booze. Once they have gone through all those howling halls, with their banners and adoring supporters -- their pictures on the front page and on the evening TV news -- they dream about it in the night.  
Memory, as time goes on, is a selective thing. Somehow they forget all the agony -- the demeaning scramble for money, the vicious charges of their opponents, the unfeeling and often frivolous criticism of the press, and the endless plane and bus rides, the stumbling into bed and wondering how they can get through it all again next day.
What they remember is not the final thump of defeat, but the might-have-beens, the fleeting glory and the accidents of politics.
Many run for the presidency who shouldn\'t, and many others don\'t run who should. What they do or don\'t do usually depends on events beyond their control. But there are probably other reasons why they run or don\'t run, one of which is that sometimes they listen to their wives. Even in these days, when divorce is so easy and family ties are supposed to be weak, it would probably be a mistake to underestimate the influence of families on presidential politics. Many qualified and attractive candidates don\'t come forward simply because they put their private lives ahead of their ambitions, and don\'t want to put themselves and their families through the savage political process.  (285 words)  

V、课外练习参考译文:

看着那些人跳上了总统竞选的欢乐转木马,人们不禁又要问:究竟是什么原因促使他们前来竞选的。毕竟前一次骑欢乐转木马骑得并不怎么欢乐--可是他们偏偏年龄越大,想试的劲头也越大。
一种解释是觊觎总统宝座会让人上瘾,且瘾头之大不亚于酒色。那彩旗缤纷、众人追随、呼声雷动的大厅,那报纸头版、晚间电视新闻上的相片--他们一旦领略了这一切,就会夜里梦寐以求。
记忆是有选择的。随着时光流逝,他们的一切苦恼总会忘却--为筹集资金不顾廉耻的你争我夺、竞选对手的恶言相向,报纸上吹毛求疵的无情批评、还有无休无止的飞机汽车来回奔波,到了晚上跌跌撞撞地一头倒在床上,还要担心第二天如何应付所有这一切的重演。
他们记得的不是最后失败的沉重打击,而是那想入非非的憧憬,那瞬间即逝的荣耀,那难以逆料的政治机遇。 \\许多本来不该前来竞选总统的人偏偏来了,而其他许多本来应该前来的却偏偏没来。他们的为与不为通常取决于他们无法控制的事态。但是,他们参与竞选与否可能还有别的原因,其中一条就是他们有时还得对夫人言听计从。即使在今天,家庭关系通常十分脆弱,离婚已成家常便饭,如果低估家庭在总统政治中的影响也许还是一种错误。许多具有充分资格和魅力的人不来参加竞选,其原因就是他们把个人生活看得重于事业的追求,不愿意让自己和家人卷入狂暴的政治风浪。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-10-2 22:28 , Processed in 0.148684 second(s), 4 queries , Redis On.