查看: 457|回复: 0

[[求助与讨论]] Mushing in Minnesota

[复制链接]
发表于 2007-4-30 10:16:48 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Mushing in Minnesota
Deep in a forest, novice mushers tag along with some huskies
在明尼苏达州驾驶狗拉雪橇
在森林深处,驾驶狗拉雪橇的新手紧跟着哈士奇犬奔驰
In the Minnesota north woods, it’s easy to fall in love with sled dogs. They’re exuberant and adorable but also focused, intense and explosive—sort of life kindergartners crossed with Olympic athletes. For huskies, life is simple: They live to run.

Anyone who has watched the start of the John Bear grease Sled Dog Marathon has witnessed the drive of a husky, a four-legged Ferrari that snaps into warp speed at the rustle of a harness. And anyone who has seen the dogs along the trail will be struck by their apparent deep satisfaction at spending hour after hour running and pulling.

“It’s as if a light goes on,” says Arleigh Jorgenson, dean of Minnesota mushers. “Their bodies are made for pulling. It feels good to them. ”
Not only are they magnificent athletes, but their joy is infections. Who wouldn’t want to spend a day in their world?

Meeting the dogs

In March, my friend Torsten and I drove up to Jorgenson’s cabin and kennel, where he keeps 100 dogs. As John Brown and Kelly Thayer, two of Jorgensen’s guides, walked toward the dogs, the animals sensed a game was afoot and began to dance and howl. Once Brown had decided which ones to take, he and Thayer worked fast, harnessing them and getting us ready to go. As he worked, Brown reminded us that mushing is an ancient form of transportation, and dogs are the experts.

“These are not house dogs. These are not your friends. These are work dogs,” he said, “Some people say, ‘Come on, let’s go fast.’ But they’ll find a rhythm on their own, so just let them be. ” Yet as we trundled into the forest, my lead dogs, Nitro and Isabella, showed an unusual interest in goofing off. Ahead of me, Brown stopped and walked back to survey my team.

“It’s just a game for them,” he said. “Basically, they’re like five-year-olds. ”
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-10-7 10:20 , Processed in 0.189166 second(s), 5 queries , Redis On.