找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
查看: 1128|回复: 2

[[资源推荐]] The Complete Plain Words_by Sir Ernest Gowers

[复制链接]
发表于 2006-4-25 15:23:09 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本书对提高英语写作能力有较大的帮助,挺不错的!我将其制作成了word版的,见附件!

现将一部分前言摘抄如下:

Preface
TH is book is in the main a reconstruction of my two previous books, Plain Words and ABC of Plain Words. Both these, as I explained in the prefaces to them, were written at the invitation of the Treasury as a contribution to what they were doing to improve official English. The first was by way of an introduction to the subject; the second was designed as a work of reference. When my publishers told me last year that the time was ripe for a new edition of Plain Words, I thought it would be well to round off the venture by weaving into the new edition material from the ABC. I could then say all I had to say in one volume, and, by giving it the index which the original edition lacked, could make it serve as a book of reference, and so do away with the need for a separate book with the layout, inevitably unattractive, of a series of unrelated topics arranged alphabetically.
I am not a grammarian, and The Complete Plain Words, like its predecessors, makes no claim to be a grammar of the English Language, though for reasons I have explained in the text I felt bound reluctantly and diffidently, to give one chapter (IX) to some points of grammar and one (X) to punctuation. Apart from these two chapters, this book is wholly concerned with what is described in one of the quotations that head the first chapter as the choice and arrangement of words in such a way as to get an idea as exactly as possible out of one mind into another. Even so I must not be credited with too high an ambition: the scope of the book is circumscribed by its being intended primarily for those who use words as tools of their trade, in administration or business.

目录
I
Prologue
II
A Digression On Legal English
III
The Elements
IV
Correctness
V
Introductory

VI
Avoiding the Superfluous Word

VII
Choosing the Familiar Word

VIII
Choosing the Precise Word

IX
The Handling of Words

X
Punctuation

XI
Epilogue

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

回复

使用道具 举报

jayhua 该用户已被删除
发表于 2007-12-24 23:11:49 | 显示全部楼层
如何增加威望?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-25 20:29:26 | 显示全部楼层
《The Complete Plain Words》是Sir Ernest Gowers在60年前写的,主要写给英国的行政人员和商人,教他们怎样写简明扼要的公文信件。他针对当时政府部门和商业公司的公文信件花哨含糊晦涩傲慢的文风,提出了“Clear, Simple, Brief, Accurate, Complete, Polite, Human, Prompt"这几个原则,用中文来说就是“简明扼要,准确完整,友善及时”。这些原则其实对所有的写作人都有意义...
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-9-22 10:07 , Processed in 0.141369 second(s), 7 queries , Redis On.