找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
楼主: macauor

[[本园活动]] (早已结束!)Issue Writing 002:How to write like a native English speaker ?

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-9-7 22:03:27 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker?
In fact, I have never thought about the question. I just know the scores of my writings are always the worst. Now I learn
much from the articles above. They give me a lot of inspirations.
First, you don't need to think much about the words and the grammar when you begin to write. You would be interrupted
if you always think and correct.
After you finish your article at the first time, read it and check some obvious mistakes of words and grammar. That's
enough.
Read loudly at the second time, imagining that you are the real native English speaker like the American president. How do
you feel at the moment? Is it wonderful? Or you still feel something is difficult? Correct it and read again. Reading loudly
is the important point here.
And of course, it would be a waste of time if you don't have the good English foundation, especially the western culture. It
is the key point that if you can be like a native English speaker.
At last, i hope more and more people can take part in the disscussion so that we can learn more.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-10 10:50:45 | 显示全部楼层
To write is to think. Keep two things in mind: language and thought, neither of which may be lacked for good writing. When writing in mother language, we need no effort for language, so we just put our time and energy in considering the content of the writing. But when it comes to writing in foreign language, we need to consider both. A failure in dealing with the relationship of these means poor writing.

Generally speaking, writing in foreign language follows three steps, which are inseparable though.
Basically, we need to learn the words and grammars of the foreign language, which is the preliminary step for language learners, in which there is no real writing, but only words and grammar practices. These practices may be easy but which may lay a sound foundation for future improvement.

Secondly, strengthen both language and content. In this step, the learner had had some knowledge of words and grammar and is ready for expressing. The target of this practice includes two: one, to further grammar; two, to deliver your thoughts. In practice, these two are inseparable.
Thirdly, focus on content, which happens after words and grammar are both mastered in certain degree, and the learner is capable of using this language to reproduce thought more complicated. In this step, language is no more a hamper, and what we need is to organize language in a better way.

So what you need to do is to judge which step exactly are you in.

If you still found difficulty in making complete sentences, then you are in step one. Don’t hurry to do more and longer sentence. You may have better idea, but still no hurry. What you now need eagerly is to do accumulation in you basic knowledge of the language. You may also do some translation, which may help your writing too. Besides, you may also need to read more by the original language speakers and improve your sense to this language.

Remember one thing, never hurry up when you are not ready. The more you prepared, the better you will do in the next.

Then, you may come to the second and the third step.

You are a master in this language now.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-12 15:50:15 | 显示全部楼层
Even for a native speaker, 2000 different words are enough for daily communication. You just need to know simple words and how to use them correctly. Don’t start with complicated words and sentence patterns.

You can practice it by writing diary or translating the local news in English. For the latter, a bilingual newspaper will be a good choice. Importantly, this exercise can be done on a daily basis.

Don’t worry about grammar and spelling errors first. Today you can have your grammar or spelling checked with a few clicks. For instance, the computer will compare every word with its dictionary and give suggested spelling if it’s wrong. And try not to repeat the mistakes.

To improve your ability of using the language, you need to take up more reading exercises. Some experts suggest that you should always carry a notebook therefore you can record the impressing words or thoughts when you’re reading. If you don’t write them down, you will forget them.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-15 09:33:33 | 显示全部楼层

How to write like a native English speaker ?

I still remebered my teacher Li Fangji back in my college who always asked us to recite some articles and paragraphs.

In fact, we were not willing to do such things at that time. Anyone who passed the national entrance examination would understand us. After more than ten years of fierce struggle along the road from preliminary school, to junior middle school, senior middle school and college, who do not want a real relaxation? To us students from country side, before the entrance examination, we are farmers; but after that, we are citizens. We were almost completely contented and had no more interest in hardworking. But our director would not allow that. After one warm-hearted welcome class and several severe pronoucation practices, he began to asked us to recite, which is the most hatred thing for us famer origins. We have poor pronounciation and bad sense to English. But the teacher would never be sympathetic to any one of us. We had at one period of time hated this guy who completely ruined our romantic college life and threw us in the hatred abyss of reciting. We complained behind him that we had enrolled ourselves into "Senior Fourth Middle School" (you see that we attended national college entrance examination in Senior Three, Senior Four should be a continue of Senior Three), how miserable our life is can be imagined.

But after a period of time, we found that we even began to like his way of reciting. Because we amazingly found that our writing and speaking dramatically improved. Some splendid sentence just came to us spontaneously, without effort at all. Such a sense is just amazing.

Mr. Li Fangji worked as our director for two years, but his way of teaching affects me in my entire life.

Later, when I became a graduated students. I learned some theories on linguistics and I was enlightened to the reason why he taught so effectively.

English is always the second language to our Chinese. In the course of learning English, no matter how hard we worked, we can't avoid the influence of our mother tongue, which acts in our word using, garmmar structure and article construction and is called minus transmission in second language learning. The usual way we took in our middle school is to learn English words, grammars and sentences--everything-- through our Chinese way of thinking. So when it is time for us to use English, we always found Chinese thinking poped out first. We need some models and frames to change the Chinese codes in our minds into English codes. Our way of thinking is inevitably being influenceded by Chinese. Cultural difference decides that something in Chinese we cannot find their corresponding parts. So it is always more difficult for our study.

Mr. Li Fangji's way of reciting just rounded this bottleneck in our tranditional way. By reciting, we gradually formed our sense of language to Englishl. Many of the things just became part of us and will spring out when they are needed, without going so far as to find the counter parts in another language. English learning is no more a burden but an enjoyment to us.

Later in my life, I walked steadily in my life, from a translator in a joint venture company to a professional translator in a translation company, I always benifited from his teaching.

Recite more, you will write just like the foreigners do. No effort, no vapidity. What is left for you is just happyness of surfing in English. Enjoy it then!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-15 11:19:24 | 显示全部楼层
To write English like a native speaker I think one should firstly to increase his vocabulary and his expression modes. Some of those methods for this purpose are :
1. Listening to songs in English ,watching movies in English etc all helps you learn new words and expressions .
2. Speaking with native English speakers will help you a lot increase your vocabulary and modes of expression.
3. Reading at your current level of comprehension simple books , articles,magazines, online and offline.You can look up new words that come your way in the dictionary and write them down .By repeating and reading them now and then it helps you increase your vocabulary .
Combining all or some of the above mentioned methods will help you learn and improve your English on the long run ,how long it takes will depend on how much effort and time you dedicate for learning .
Thanks!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-15 22:27:47 | 显示全部楼层
It is very important to learn how to write like a native English speaker. We do not have to become great English writers or produce art and entertainment, however, writing that just to form correct and understandable sentences is still a big problem for many English learners, either a new beginner or an experienced user of English.

There may be some reasons for this. For example, learners usually use simple words or sentences to avoid mistakes. This makes native language far. The second one is that the cultural difference. Thinking style and habits affect our judgment of the word choice.
How can we get involved in English writing? There are some suggestions as are given following.

Firstly, English learner must make it clear that as a non-native speaker what we must be aware of before starting to write in English. We need to know that the object to write like a native English speaker is one challengeable job. No pain, No gain! At the same time, the target group should be come into being and the corresponding requirements. The followings are some advices given by professional people. Over the whole document, make average sentences of 15 to 20 words. Use words your readers are likely to understand. Use only as many words as you really need. Prefer the active voice unless thereís a good reason for using the passive. Use the clearest, crispest, liveliest verb to express your thoughts. Use vertical lists to break up complicated text. Write positively as much as possible. Reduce cross-references to a minimum. Try to avoid sexist usage. Use accurate punctuation.

Secondly, it is necessary to improve your knowledge, know about principles in language learning and you should be aware of common mistakes and avoid them. Meantime, you should be careful with what your write. One good idea is to use standardized phrases and terminology. If you have questions, please ask native speakers. Of course, you can use a good dictionary and internet to ease your writing work.

We do not need to require our own English to be perfect Just try to form correct and understandable sentences to express our ideas in our own words. Once we find our ideas are quiet clear in our writing, our English will be good enough then.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-16 09:41:31 | 显示全部楼层

My above topic had mentioned that reciting may be helpful to your writing. But have you ever had such an experience that you may had recited a lot, but you still find yourself blank when writing?

So reciting is not mechanical memorizing. There are also something else to be mentioned.

Reciting in English language is differenet from our reciting ancient Tang Poems in Childhood. When we are young, we have tramendous ability in memorizing. Many of the things, though we got no idea what they indicated exactly, we can keep it in our mind as a whole, which will be digested little by little and step by in the course of growing up. Later in life, when it is needed, it will come to you from your childhood memory spontaneously.

English is different. People here discussing this problem may be mostly adults. Not to mention we have not as good a memory as we do in childhood, even we do, we can not mechanically memorize everything. Sentence changes a bit or a lot in different situations. What we recited should act as a model and can come to our positive help when it is needed.

How to make what you recited alive? You may choose to practice more intentionally in different situations, either by translation or imitating. Maybe you will make some mistakes at first, but little by little, you will find that what you recited had be part of you now. Your writing will of course be closer to a native speaker's.

Wish you success and welcome to further discussion!
回复

使用道具 举报

twins 该用户已被删除
发表于 2008-9-16 22:33:03 | 显示全部楼层
It's a not easy to answer question. Seriously said, A foreigner hardly can do it like a native writer or speaker. the reason is very simple just thinking if other people can write like chinese do.

Although we couldn't get it,we can reach it as we can as possible. To improve our english speaking and writing during the communication with other poeple is a good chance to do it. from it,we can learn what is native speaker are speaking and doing,then acting correctly as you have learned and imitating what you have seen.

In fact,a simulated enviroment also give you many chances to get the target.you can catch this scene when you are wathing a english seriers drama and movie. you try to get along with them and forget what you are. slowly maybe you will find you already get up a little.

Studying gramar and reciting some paper are just a basic ablity to get it,otherwise anyone couldn't help yourself.

Talking a lot sometime are not useful to write like a english peple. i want to say ,it is,if you have some better conditions,it is better to go abroad to live a period, i think, which is a short cut path to do very soon to get the place where the topic want us to go.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-17 11:15:46 | 显示全部楼层
引用第67楼twins于2008-09-16 22:33发表的 :
It's a not easy to answer question. Seriously said, A foreigner hardly can do it like a native writer or speaker. the reason is very simple just thinking if other people can write like chinese do.

Although we couldn't get it,we can reach it as we can as possible. To improve our english speaking and writing during the communication with other poeple is a good chance to do it. from it,we can learn what is native speaker are speaking and doing,then acting correctly as you have learned and imitating what you have seen.

In fact,a simulated enviroment also give you many chances to get the target.you can catch this scene when you are wathing a english seriers drama and movie. you try to get along with them and forget what you are. slowly maybe you will find you already get up a little.

Article cancled to the appeal of brother twins.

I just want twins to keep in mind that what I did here is for mutual improvement, but not for anything else. Of course my modifications should first receive his approval, to which I formally apologize, and wish him not to be mad at that.

Any advice on what I wrote, I will be only appreciated.

Thank you!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-18 23:30:02 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native speaker?
First I should declare that I am not a good writer as a native English speaker.What I write is just what I imaging.
I think the most important is to recite some good native article, I mean to recite fluently. When some sentence go out from your mouth naturely,the artcle you write must more native. But sadly I can not recite any article now. so wish one day I have time to recite something.
watching english TV is good idea also, when watching you have to think in english,it is a good way to practise your skill of orgnise setence.
be confidence is very important too, nobody couldy speaking or writing 100% right english ,even native speaker. I always hear my daught say wrong word in Chinese, but i never doubt about her chinese speaking, as time going, she will write and speaking fluently in chinese.now i am same level with my daught in english, be confident i can be a good writer of english.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-20 16:10:18 | 显示全部楼层
We are not a native speaker of English so if we want to speak English fluently we have to try our best to practice, there are sort of methods that can help us.

First, listening is very important, the more the best. We can watch massive American series, for example “the sex and city” or “desperate wife”, most of these are very wonderful. It can teaches us something very pretty oral English, for example “Can we take a rain check?” “How did we get into this mess?”, “Lighten up!”. Maybe we can learn the express of the native speaker of English.

Secondly, We had better write it out when we saw with useful phrases. It means “accumulation” is also important. It is much importance to improve our English writing ability. We do not master enough words or phrases, thus the reading can help me how to use these words.

Finally, we must persist in the study of English every day. I think most of people want to learn English well, but few people can insist practice English every day. So if you want to speak English like a native speaker please remember grab every chance to express yourself in English.

Genially speaking, if we can keep on doing exercises of leaning, listening, reading, we can accumulate more and more vocabulary, idiomatic expressions, and we can speak, think and write as if we were a native English speaker.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-25 15:40:00 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker

Writing is a Comprehensive work, including writing knowledge, background of language culture, and more skills of expression. In my opinion, there are three methods to improve writing ability in order to write like native speaker.
  To begin with, we should learn more about English culture. Learning about culture can provide us with greater knowledge of the western world and the English language. If we are familiar with them, we will enhance our English learning through variety and interest. And then we distinguish them from our custom, step by step, we will be familiar with their idiom or custom.
Next, we should be used to thinking something in English style. Writing is reflection on writer’s thinking style, therefore thinking style is important for writing. Commonly, we always think something in our thinking style, in Chinese style, and write it like that. For example, when you say “I think I can’t”, actually in means “I don’t think I can”. It is rather thinking style than habit.
  The last one is that we should read more classic articles and imitate them. Absolutely, we live in China, and we are accustomed to Chinese expression. To overcome the obstacles of English expression, reading genuine and pure English writings is one shortcut way to success. Nowadays, reading these articles on internet is not difficult, and we can scan all English article in our family with computer mouse.
  To sum up,to write like native speaker is not difficult, as long as you improve your writing acording to the rules above.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-27 12:26:21 | 显示全部楼层
How to Write Like a Native English Speaker
      The first thought that this title brings to my mind is "It's a tough job to accomplish this composition for me".Because my Englisg studing mostly focus on oral English.
      However,after such years' English Studing.I think I could present some advices to those people who want to write like a native English speaker.
      First of all,we should recognize that the natives' writing is not as simple as their speaking.In
contrast,natives' writing is more formal.For this reason, I don't agree that listening songs and watching movies could do help to our English writing.
      What's more,we should figure out what is important to our English writing.In my opinion,there are some elements could help you like a natives writer:
      First and foremost,your vocabulary decides your pen.If your vocabulary is limited your chances of success are also limited.A good way to enlarge your vocabulaly is to recite words systematicly.
      Secondly,we should cultivate a habit of reading English composition everyday,so that we could understand the natives' writing logic.
      Last but not least,keep practising your English writing.Because practice is the sole criterion for testing truth.
      Finally,I wish everybody could enjoy your English studing though it is a tough job.
      Good Luck!!!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-1 20:19:16 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker? As far as I am concerned , I think the following things are important:
To begin with,studying the creation of works using proper English. What makes the artful imagery in a novel so beautiful? What makes a good speech so persuasive?
Then,building your vocabulary. Reading is the best way to do that since it exposes you to a far wider range of words than conversation or spoken media, such as radio or television. Collect words you don't know. In addition, browse in the dictionary, play word games, and subscribe to a word of the day.
Finally,Practicing writing. Write for a journal, blog, or wiki. Wikis, especially, need writers and frequently come with a whole community of editors who will help you. Whatever and wherever you write, practice daily, if possible. In email and text messages, use complete sentences. That's writing, too
[move]Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Language takes extraordinary amounts of practice to master, and mistakes are part of the learning process.[/move]
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-2 20:29:58 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker?
though my english was poor actually, but some experience of mine may have some help for new english leaner , as a doctor, english paper writting was a very important for me , many people failed to publish their sci paper not for his reseach skill ,but for his english . however , as for my experience, composing a professional thesis was rather easier than other english writing,because the paper of very subject has its own specifical format .if you can catch the basic format ,then the only thing left for you to write a good paper was words orgnaizing . one way you could made youself fluently writing english paper was read as many papers of your field as you could . more you read more, easier could you create and publish your sci paper ! second , never stop to practicing writing , language just like a door , if not open or close regularly , it will rust on its place forever! by the way , a good reference dictionary would be much helpful when you could not had some word come up to your mind ,nowaday electrical dictionary prevail for a long time , you could turn on the auxiliary input function ,then your writing work became more easier than before.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-3 01:23:48 | 显示全部楼层

We contact English , study English, English is a very forceful implement.We can write right words, right sentences and right grammar in English. However, it is hard for us to write like a native English spearker.
  The cause bringing about this result has three mainly:
  1. We are not British.
  2. we don't say English in the ordinary time.
  3.we regard English as an implement.
  These are really not that reasons of not learning  English , but , we still need to make great efforts to learn it. Throughout the effort, we are sure to gain good achievement. Study English , let us study mutually.
  First,we should learn words、sentences and grammer.Studying ABC , finishing striking a basis is the first step of English writing. A thousand-li journey starts with the first step. English writing is slowly build-up process.
  second,We should read broadly and experience all kinds of state in the society. Writing originates from the living, only the people enriching society experiences can finish good artcles. Read is the wings of our thought.。
Third,Every day,write a good sentences or a paragraph, it is good to learning our English. Writing needs stamina, Success Belongs to the Persevering.
  At last, finished these we are still uncertain successing , Creating have a heart to heart communication. Not having reader's resonance,The article is not a good article. Let us make great efforts to write , care for self , care for reader.
  Hope everyone can achieve this goal in writing a composition.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-5 09:26:14 | 显示全部楼层

As far as I know, writing like a native English speaker is just like what we write in Chinese.
First, just like macauor said, we should grasp enough words,enough sentence structure and enough grammar.
Second, we should do a lot reading , especially classical ones, so we can grasp good sense of language.
Then, we should grasp some writing format and customs.
And the most important, practice more.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-13 20:00:59 | 显示全部楼层
  Firstly,you need to think in English as if you were a thoroughly native speaker,and then write down what you've come up with.In my opinion,it's the best way to learn a second language.
  Secondly,take reading as a long-term job.Reading widely can be of great help,since local articles and books help you understand the way in which those native speakers think and express better.Especially, if you are just starting your journey of studying english,my recommendation is that you should spend more time on reading before you pick up your pen.
  Thirdly,I find that to speak with and listen to those natives can also be helpful,for the written english is more like the spoken one in terms of syntax than what you thought it should have been. It means that the most fundamental part of writing is to write down what you want to say.
  Finally,those quotes and poets are powerful sentences, but bear in mind while you use them.Because most of them are composed in some abnormal sentence structures,which can easily puzzle us. If becoming a newspaper editor or a professional writer is not your dream, it is not necessary to imitate them.You'd better develop your own style!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-21 17:40:58 | 显示全部楼层

Of the four language skills, writing is the most difficult  to acquire.  That is why it is often considered  the most sound criteria to judge a person's language level. Just set him or her a topic to write on, and you'll know,in a matter of minutes, how solid his or her ground is in the language  . Indeed, Many factors are involved to write good English, of which the following I think merit special mention:
       1. Master as many words as you possibly can. In so doing, you  begin to know the different shades of meaning between them and learn which can be used in a certain situation and which ones are  inappropriate. As you vocabulary increases, you have more choices to make to describe whatever you are writing about. And you'll be able to use the right word in the right context.
       2. Pay attention to the  idomatic expressions in English. In learning English, people are often too eager to express themselves to even bother to  think of those little phrases native speakers are so apt to use. A good mastery of as many idioms as you possibly can will surely set you in the right track as far as writing proficiency is concerned.
       3. Reading extensively. No other method gives you a better feel for the language than reading, say, novels, poems, or essays written by such great masters as Mark Twain, Hemingway and others. While reading, you can not only enjoy the story, you also learn to appreciate the way the author tells the story, which process will internalizes and helps you write your own later in more or less the way  a native speaker does.  As for the reading materials, I prefer those written about China, its people, places, culture, language, and the cultural shock they 've experienced on what they think are exotic and mysterious land.   Articles or novels such as those are often quite humorous, insight provoking and most importantly, easy for us to understand and  can be found just a click away on the internet . Reading those materials will acquaint ourselves with those exact words and phrases we need to have in our daily writing. It is definitely a most interesting way of learning the language now that we have so much internet access in our country.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-23 16:02:04 | 显示全部楼层

Nowadays, many of Chinese have learnt English for various reasons, such as preparing to study abroad, communicating fluently with foreigner in business and trade, interested in foreign culture and so on. However, most of us have not mastered the key skill of the English studying. We use the language in our own way. It is the problem that we have not yet use English mind to study. If you want to speak in native English, write a wonderful English assay, read English fluently, you must in the English mind.
    The most important thing is that you must make a solid ate base of English language, the vocabulary, which builds up English world. You can study the English word in any situation at any moment if you will. You can learn a word in an advertisement, you can remember a beautiful sentence in a moved English movie, you even could read a strange work loudly when you are taking a bus.
   Then, you must study a lot of native English expression. The English magazines or TV are good materials for you to follow the native English. If you are full in of the emotion to study English, you can find English materials easily. The website of many English papers and magazines are convenient to learn at any of your spare times. "Nationalgeogrophic", "Scientific American", "Economist" can be very useful to your reading and writing skills. And the English movies and teleplays are the good materials to improve your speaking skills, the most famous teleplays is "Friends" which have been played many times on TV and is fully recommended for tremendous English-studiers.
   Finally, if you want to use native English, you must connect native English or American at any opportunity you gripped. The truly difficult thing to study is that you can not keep on studying the language. You may study today with great emotion and careless tomorrow. Using native English depends on whether you insist on studying English with enormous passions.
  As far as I am concerned, you could become native English user, as long as you are interest in the language and you put your self in the English world.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-4-27 02:21 , Processed in 0.487577 second(s), 7 queries , Redis On.