注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
楼主: 涂于德

[[学习策略]] “常用地道口语大家学着说”专帖(请勿跟贴,谢谢!)

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2009-1-8 00:05:52 | 显示全部楼层
Dead ringer

1. Smith is a dead ringer for his late papa.
史密斯与他的已故的父亲非常相像。

2.She's a dead ringer for a girl I used to know.
她酷似以前我认识的一个女孩。

3.My girlfriend said I'm a dead ringer for Tom Cruise. What do you think?
我女朋友说我跟汤姆克鲁斯长得像极了。

4.That man on the other side of the road is a dead ringer for Ronald Reagan.
在路那边的那人酷似罗纳德•里根。

5.There was one woman who was a real ringer for the Queen.
有一个妇女长得酷似女王。

Chosen from: Different kinds of newspapers and magazines

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-11 17:39:10 | 显示全部楼层
11. Posh

Jo: I'm Jo and this is Real English from BBC Learning English.
Oliver: 大家好,我是Oliver,地道英语和大家一起学习现代英式英语中经常出现的流行词汇和实用表达。这些词儿和短语都是现在英国人当中非常流行的。So what's today's word Jo?
Jo: Well today's word is posh. P.O.S.H. posh.
Oliver: 嗯,Jo,我觉得我知道这个词儿,posh,它好像是前辣妹合唱团中的成员,著名球星贝克汉姆的妻子的昵称吧.
Jo: Oh very good Oliver. Yes David Beckham's wife Victoria also has the nickname Posh.
Oliver: 这个词儿是用来说优雅的人的吗?比如有些上流社会的人,十分富有、衣着华丽、彬彬有礼、周旋在各种时尚社交场合什么的。
Jo: That's right Oliver. So people who are rich, with nice clothes, who speak nicely and have good manners and might be called posh. We might also call someone posh as a joke.
Oliver: 你是指,说什么人 posh也可能是开玩笑的。比如说,你的一个朋友,开始喝很贵的葡萄酒,那你就可以拿他开玩笑说:
Jo: You're getting a bit posh aren't you?
Oliver: 在这个时候,posh就不是真的优雅的意思了,而是假高贵的意思了。一般来说,人们更喜欢用在评论什么人的时候,而很少当面说别人,除非像刚才我们听到的那样是开玩笑。

Insert
A: We're moving house – we've found a nice place next to the park.
B: Ooh that's a bit posh isn't it?
Jo: In fact Oliver, you are looking a bit posh today – are you going somewhere special?
Oliver: 是吗?哦,那可是真要谢谢你! Actually I am going out to a nice restaurant – in fact you could probably say a posh restaurant - with my friends tonight!
Jo: Well you look very smart. I don't often see you looking so posh!
Oliver: 那你就是说我平时看起来不怎么样啦!好了,不开玩笑了,还是看看我们今天学到的词儿吧 posh – 优雅的。
Jo: And that's about all for today. You've been listening to Real English from BBC Learning English. Don't forget to log onto our website
Oliver: 再见。
Jo: See you.

Submitted by: BBC
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-11 17:40:09 | 显示全部楼层
Posh

1. Depending on who he is talking to, Harry can flip over from a cockney accent to a posh cultured one.
根据说话的对像,哈里可以从说伦敦方言突然转为说优雅而有教养的语言。

2. a little less posh but every bit as stylish as Lord Peter Wimsey;
稍微有些时髦,但每一小块都像彼得•威敏森大帝一样精致;

3the stylish resort of Gstadd.
格斯塔德风景漂亮的胜地。

4.If you ran into him in London with his posh friends he wouldn't give any of you the time of day.
如果你们在伦敦正好碰见他与上流社会的朋友在一起,他是不会理睬你们任何一个人的。

5. It's cocktail hour in Rome's posh shopping district, but women at one trendy bar are trying a new kind of aperitif: perfume.
在意大利罗马繁华的购物街,当大多数人聚在酒吧享受鸡尾酒的时候,在一间新潮的酒吧里,女士们品味的却是另一道"开胃酒":香水。

6. I’ve declined the invitation to the Royal Garden Party: I’d just be a square peg in a round hole among all those posh people.
我已谢绝参加皇家游园会的邀请,同那些显赫要人在一起,我觉得实在格格不入。

7."They" are "the people at the top", "the higher-ups", the people who give you the dole, call you up, tell you to go to war, fine you, "talk posh", "are all twisters really".
“他们”是“上流社会人物”,是“达官显贵”。他们给你一点施舍,动员你去服役,让你去打仗,调教你,“说起话来像上层社会那样咬文嚼字”,事实上他们“全是骗子”。

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-11 17:48:48 | 显示全部楼层
12. Big Cheese

Helen: Hello, welcome to Real English from BBC Learning English. I'm Helen.
Oliver: 嗨,我是Oliver。
Helen: Today we’re looking at words and phrases that you might not find in your dictionary.
Oliver: 地道英语和大家一起学习现代英式英语中经常出现的流行词汇和实用表达。那Helen,今天给我们带来的新词是什么呢?
Helen: Today we are going to concentrate on the phrase – the big cheese.
Oliver: That's interesting, the big cheese. Cheese 是干酪, 就我自己来讲,我非常不喜欢 cheese 的味道,更不在意大大块的奶酪了。
Helen: Good to know that you are not a fan of cheese. I love it. Here the phrase 'big cheese' means something quite different. It actually refers to people in business.
Oliver: 是和生意人有关的?那究竟什么样的人会被叫做大奶酪呢?
Helen: To be the big cheese of a company, you are at the very top of the company, you are very important and you have the power to make things happen in the company.
Oliver: I see, 就像董事级的人物,非常有权力的商场人物。
Helen: That's right, big bosses sometimes are called 'the big cheese'.
Oliver: 让我们听一个例子。

Insert
A: Please make sure you come early tomorrow.
B: Why?
A: Because JP is going to be here tomorrow.
B: Who is JP?
A: Oh, you know, John Parkins, he's the big cheese from head office.
Oliver: Helen, 用这个短语的时候有什么需要注意的地方吗?
Helen: Well, it's an informal phrase. And best not to say it directly to your big boss.
Oliver: 这是个不太正式的用法,不要当着你的老板的面用,也不要直接叫他 – the big cheese.
Helen: Definitely don't say to your boss, "Hello, how are you today, big cheese?". You might get fired for that.
Oliver: 好了,我们今天学到的是 the big cheese,意思就是公司内部非常重要或有实权的人物,这是个非正式的表达。
Helen: You've been listening to Real English from BBC Learning English. See you next time.
Oliver: 我们下次节目再会。

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-11 17:49:34 | 显示全部楼层
Big Cheese

1.Who’s the big cheese in the small town?
谁是该小镇里的头面人物?

2.Here comes the big cheese himself. Have we got the red carpet out?
大人物来了,我们铺上红地毯了吗?

3.He thinks he's the big cheese, but in fact he's only one of the maggots!
他认为自己是个大人物,其实,只不过不过是爬虫罢了。

4.Angela thought he was the big cheese, but in fact he was only one of the maggots!
安吉拉自以为是个了不起的人物,其实他不外是条小爬虫。

5.Another reason is what could be called the big cheese factor.If the boss is constantly logging in while on a holiday it signals everyone else that they should do the same from their vacation, says Lawrence.
另外一个原因我们称之为"老板效应",劳伦斯说,如果老板休假时总是不忘打开电脑与办公室联系,这等于暗示每个人都应该这样做。

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-11 17:57:15 | 显示全部楼层
13. Doggy Bag

Jo: Hello, I'm Jo and you're listening to Real English from BBC Learning English – the programme where we look at words and phrases that you might not find in your textbook or your dictionary. With me today is Helen.
Helen: Hi Jo. 大家好。在我们的地道英语节目中,你会发现不少在字典上查不到的通俗表达。那Jo, 今天有什么有意思的新词吗?
Jo: Well Helen, today's expression is doggy D.O.G.G.Y bag B.A.G. doggy bag.
Helen: 从 doggy 这个词来看,我想这是应该和狗 dog 有关的一个表达吧?
Jo: A doggy bag is actually something we get at a restaurant. Sometimes when you eat out there is a lot of food and you can't finish everything because you are full – well you might want to take that leftover food home.
Helen: Leftover 多余的,吃剩了的食品. 这种情况我们在餐馆里经常碰到,叫了太多的菜,结果吃不完。
Jo: So you would ask for a doggy bag.
Helen: 明白了,A doggy bag 就是在餐馆里要求把剩菜打包带回家,不过这名字好像不大好听。Why is it called a doggy bag Jo?
Jo: Well, it's because sometimes people take leftover food home to give to their dog – but most of the time the food is for people to eat not dogs. But we always call it a doggy bag. Let's listen to an example shall we?

Insert
Waiter: Is everything OK?
Diner: Yes thanks. Can you put this in a doggy bag for us?
Waiter: Yes, of course.
Jo: If you want a doggy bag – you might also just ask – can we take this home please?
Helen: 有时候,你可能不想说我要一个 doggy bag,你也可以直接说我想把这些剩菜带回 家。
Jo: So there we have it – today's expression – doggy bag.
Helen: 好了,今天我们的地道英语就到这儿。

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-11 17:58:10 | 显示全部楼层
Doggy Bag

1.Can I have a doggy bag, please.
请给我一个食物袋好吗?

2.Save the doggy bag for informal dining situations.
把那些食物打包袋留到非正式的用餐场合下使用吧!

3.It is inappropriate to ask for a doggy bag when you are a guest.
如果你是一个客人,去索要食物打包袋是不合适的。

4.Use doggy bags to take food home
打包儿

5. We had so much food left over from dinner at the restaurant last night that we took enough home in doggy bags to feed the whole family tonight.
昨晚我们在餐馆剩了好多菜,这些带回家的剩菜足够我们全家今天晚上再吃一顿了。

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-11 18:05:20 | 显示全部楼层
14. Hotline

Helen: Welcome to Real English from BBC Learning English. I’m Helen.
Liu Jia: 欢迎收听BBC英国广播公司的地道英语,我是刘佳。
Helen: Today we’re going to look at words and phrases that have recently become part of the English language.
Liu Jia: 地道英语带大家一起学现代英语的新词汇,和流行的习惯表达。
Helen: It’s very important to stay up-to-date with English as new words and expressions enter the language all the time.
Liu Jia: 没错,Helen, 快来告诉我们今天的新词是…?
Helen: Today’s word is ‘hotline’ – H.O.T.L.I.N.E. hotline.
Liu Jia: Hotline. 这个词是什么意思呢?
Helen: Well, a hotline is a direct, quick telephone line that gives you access to help or information.
Liu Jia: 哦,明白了,a hotline 就是一个又快又方便的直播电话,提供一些相关的信息和帮助。
Helen: Yes. For example, when there is a disaster, like a plane crash, there is usually a telephone number to call for information. This is a hotline.

Insert
A: I’m worried about my brother in the USA. There have been enormous storms where he lives.
B: Call this number. It’s a 24-hour hotline and they should be able to help you.
Helen: Have you ever called a hotline?
Liu Jia: No, have you?
Helen: Yes. When I was in Edinburgh recently there was a problem at the airport and many planes were cancelled.
Liu Jia: So what did you do?
Helen: I had to call a hotline to find out if my flight was cancelled.
Liu Jia: And was it?
Helen: Yes, unfortunately. I called the hotline the next day, and luckily it was back on.
Liu Jia: That’s not too bad; at least you got back safely.
Helen: Yes, the hotline number was very useful. Anyway, to recap a hotline is...
Liu Jia: Hotline 就是热线电话,你可以通过它得到相应的信息和帮助。 And that’s all we have time for today.
Helen: Yes, it’s time for us to go. You’ve been listening to Real English from BBC Learning English. Join us again soon for more up-to-the-minute Real English. Bye.
Liu Jia: See you next time.

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-11 18:06:40 | 显示全部楼层
Hotline

1.The 999 hotline service was enhanced with the provision of caller number display to enable a quicker response to emergency calls. The number of operator positions in the 999 centres was also increased.
装设来电显示器,有助加强999热线的服务,缩短回应紧急求救的时间,而999中心的接线生职位也有所增加。

2.In the same month, a telephone hotline service was launched for handling aircraft noise complaints and inquiries.
同月又设立了一条公众电话热线,接听有关飞机噪音的投诉及询问。

3.A complaint hotline for CAPO was introduced in June to supply complaint forms by facsimile to members of the public.
此外,投诉警察课亦已在六月增设一条投诉热线,以图文传真方式将投诉表格传送给市民。

4.It reports directly to Member States at the General Assembly, and maintains a confidential hotline to receive information on alleged wrongdoings.
监督厅在大会上直接向会员国报告,并有机密热线接收指控不法行为的信息。

5.The 999 hotline service was enhanced with the provision of caller number display to enable a quicker response to emergency calls. The number of operator positions in the 999 centres was also increased.
装设来电显示器,有助加强999热线的服务,缩短回应紧急求救的时间,而999中心的接线生职位也有所增加。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-5-8 19:26 , Processed in 0.331381 second(s), 5 queries , Redis On.