找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
楼主: macauor

[[本园活动]] (早已结束!)Issue Writing 002:How to write like a native English speaker ?

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-10-23 17:55:09 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker? I think there are three ways for us to write like a native English speaker.

First, read more. One benefitily reading is to help us improve writing skills. Whether it is a novel, newspaper, or textbook, reading can widen our vocabulary. With reading, we will also be familiar with sentence structures, correct grammar and the general structure of writing.

Secondly, try to write shorter sentences. The longer the sentence, the more mistakes you will make. Thus the safest way to write as a native is to write with shorter sentence. In my view, five to ten words per sentence is perfect. So break down long sentence when you are writing.

Thirdly, practice more. Just as reading more is important, practicing more is also important. Writing English is the same as writing Chinese. The most effective way is to learn to write more concisely, creatively and confidently through practice.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-24 20:43:12 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker ?
First,Read more article or something writen by native English spearker, make you get familiar with words, expressions and so on.
Second, the most important point in my opinion, is writing by yourself. Maybe in the beginning, you do not know how to start writing at all, don't worry, you can imitate the article written by native writer , learn how to address your idea by English. Imitated more and more, you will find can express yourself in English.
Last but not the least, when you read literatures, pay more attention to the author how to express his idea. When there are some expressions or sentences are very excellent, read them again and again, learn them by heart.

That is what I want to say on how to write like a native speaker.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-29 14:36:44 | 显示全部楼层

Advice and Comments on English  Discourse

Advice and Comments on English Discourse
    There are several aspects of language and spoken writing that I would like to focus on today for considerations to allow you to improve moving forward.
  First category of feedback is I want to talk very briefly about lexicon and vocabulary. As I see , I felt that mostly your use of lexicon in today's presentation was quite sophisticated and showed a lot of preparation. Most of you may have noticed that in the contemporaneous, spontaneous remarks and questions, the level of vocabulary came down a notch or two. That's very natural: some- thing that we all have to work on. But there were a couple of I think. there's three examples that I'd like to share with you to take home to work on. Number one, for instance, since the writing topic was ecology, when you talk about living in harmony with da za ren(大自然), is it "the nature" or "nature'? Nature! I's not "the nature"! so, that was like one of those errors that. umm, came up because of the theme of the speech, but that's something you can remember right now, "Live in harmony with...nature."' Second, some small things that I noted, some of you messed up "emphasized" with "emphasis"---it's a common mistake. And, when one of you was talking about how important it was to be aware of the environment and that we should generate awareness of environment to help us think of ways to improve it, and she, I think it was she, said "we should get a consensus of the environment," I think she probably meant "sense." "get a sense of the environment" as an awareness. So, little things like that. Be careful semantically. If you reach the upper levels of language, it's very easy to choose a wrong word and I guess my advice for you would be, "When in doubt, check a dictionary for nuance and proper usage." because when you're in the lower levels you're not using those fancy words. But when you get up in the upper levels, like today, they're very important.
  my last category of feedback for you is in the area of discourse and organization. This is very important in speaking contests, it's very important when you're translating at the upper levels, and it's important in adult life when you're working in the world of work where you're no longer talking simply about yourself and your family, but other things, issues. Today's contestants demonstrated a wide variety of rhetorical styles in their prepared speeches. Many of the candidates showed a sophisticated use of linguistic register, and register is, as you know. using language that is appropriate for a specific purpose for a specific social context. The reason l mention register is that for learners of English as a second language, the higher the register, the more difficult it is to speak accurately, coherently, and persuasively. Right? So, today, one of the contestants made a very insightful remark and said, I quote, "The higher level of English I speak, the more mistakes I make." Remember that'? Actually. What she meant by this was that she was having trouble communicating sophisticated ideas and arguments in English without making errors in grammar or usage. University students learning English can improve their ability to speak naturally in high registers and high level of discourse and can sustain a high level of discourse by doing a few things and these are the three pieces of advice I will leave for you before I conclude my remarks. So, this is advice teachers and students for how to build that competency and high level of discourse.
  Number one: Read texts that represent a high level of discourse. Soak up that language. But, remember that written text has a discourse that is separate from spoken discourse. Some of you were speaking today in very. kind of written-prose language, and you may not want to do that in the future.
  Number two, piece of advice: Make a tape recording of yourself talking about abstract topics or complex topics and then go back and listen to it and listen to how it sounds: if it's cohesive and coherent'? Are there errors? Then go back, practice again, and do it a second time like editing a written text but, in fact, it's a spoken text. You will hear what you're doing that could be improved, even you, and of course if you have teachers, that's even better, but you, yourself will hear.
  Finally, my last piece of advice for you is that you should practice building. If language, if spoken language, was like a house you should practice building the house brick by brick, storey by storey, so you all can do basic sentences now, clearly. And, most of you are pretty good at building paragraphs, but some of you are not yet perfect house builders in terms of discourse and organization. So you want to practice writing compound and complex sentences, and then weave those together into paragraphs and you'll weave those paragraphs into the full spoken text. Weave them together, push yourself to go for the discourse and woven nature so that not only the thought flows, but it's coherent. And. I think you'll agree with me, that some of the most compelling speeches that we heard today displayed this type coherence and sort of natural progression of ideas, lf you do that, there's no doubt in my mind that you can progress at this area.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-29 22:10:22 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker

why me should learn English? we should not learn English for exam,we learn English for communion ultimately. so we must advance the ability of speak. in my opinion , indeed,it is the critical.

First , we should reading more and more . The capability of reading is the base of speaking.

Absolutely , the ability of reading can not equal to the ability of speaking .
So second we should speaking regularity.  for elevation  the ability of speaking we also should do more homework .for example: listing  English songs  and if you have enough energy you can learn some English songs and it is a interest thing .By the way ,see movies is also have benefit for speaking like a native English speaker.
The third one ,we should do regular exercises to write English composition.no other than exercise is efficiency for the ability of English writing skills.

Finally,in my opinion the most thing about advance our capability of speaking is speaking with others as much as possible .Don't be shame ! Just speaking!The key to our learn English is communion.everything now we do such as reading and do test paper is for converse with others with English.
If we make great efforts ,we can write like a native English speaking.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-6 12:21:50 | 显示全部楼层
Whether we could write like a native English speaker, learning English in our homeland, depends primarily on the way we learn English. With respect to a way to learn to write like a native English speaker is appropriate, I strongly agree with two respects: firstly, a people who want to write well should recite several English articles which are recognized good; and then the people should practice in the way which the articles use. A people who write in the way all stand to gain.

As a threshold matter, reciting articles requires qualification in two respects. First, in certain areas there are some particular phase and interpretation. Secondly, the length of the articles should be decided depending on the people’s purpose. So chosen the articles would be primarily before learning.

Aside from these two qualifications, I think that it is worthwhile for a people to recite and practice more. There are three deer benefits of doing so.

First, in my experience by learning writing, reciting would support the basic vocabulary, sentences and grammar. This is first step we need to do for learning English. Then, a people should import many native English. If a people want to export more, he should import more. Thirdly, the articles could teach you the English logic. Every country has its special national behaves which a people who want to learn well should learn and take.

In sum, a people stand everything to gain when she/he recites and practices by working hard on appropriate articles.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-11 15:53:37 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker?
In fact, I have never thought about the question until I saw the title on our net station. Now I ‘d like to show you my consideration about the question
Firstly, the vocabulary is the vital importance. ‘You can't make something out of nothing.’ No vocabulary , one just can find that it is difficult to express himself well. Even sometimes the idea is clear in the mind . no vocabulary, no means to show others. The feeling is not good in the situation ‘beyond the vocabulary’
Secondly , the pronunciation of the vocabulary is also perfectly  important. If one’s pronunciation is good ,the way is easier to communicate with others. Whenever the guy said or got the words from others . if the pronunciation is not good ,sometimes one can find that it is difficult to catch the idea even the written words are simple. One cant communicate well with the foreign friends , so a good way to attain the native expression is locked.
Last but not least , practicing the English in any possible way, I mean , in native way. At the learning process , learn form each other frequently and get advices from teachers in case of stepping on the way of learning chinglish. Hardworking will pay off finally , but we also should care our learning method .so we can reach the goal in the less time.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-14 00:53:37 | 显示全部楼层
It seems that writing skill is extremely difficult to master for an ESL student.Here,I would like to share some personal experience about how to improve it.
  Firstly,you need to think in English as if you were a thoroughly native speaker,and then write down what you've come up with.In my opinion,it's the best way to learn a second language.
  Secondly,take reading as a long-term job.Reading widely can be of great help,since local articles and books help you understand the way in which those native speakers think and express better.Especially, if you are just starting your journey of studying english,my recommendation is that you should spend more time on reading before you pick up your pen.
  Thirdly,I find that to speak with and listen to those natives can also be helpful,for the written english is more like the spoken one in terms of syntax than what you thought it should have been. It means that the most fundamental part of writing is to write down what you want to say.
  Finally,those quotes and poets are powerful sentences, but bear in mind while you use them.Because most of them are composed in some abnormal sentence structures,which can easily puzzle us. If becoming a newspaper editor or a professional writer is not your dream, it is not necessary to imitate them.You'd better develop your own style!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-14 01:37:50 | 显示全部楼层
Because English writing is not a easy thing to learn for all non-english speakers, like you and me, I would like to take this opportunty to share my experiences how to improve my English writing.
In my opinion, there are three important parts can make our English writing more seem like a native speaker's writing.
most important of all is vocabulary.In order to accumulate vocabulary,reading and listening are absolutely necessary.Reading more and more can help us to memorize plenty of words,also can sharpen our sensitivity of English language.listening is the secend method of memorizing new words, the point is ,watching some English programms,listening English music,etc.anything you are interested in to see how well you can understand,towards all these,i think you start knowning more and more culture of native English speaker.
moreover,culture is another important thing i want talk about.As chinese ,sometimes we speak English in a chinese way,foreigners dont understand. idioms and slangs of English are parts of English culture,its necessary to understand them.
finally,to write as native speakers, it doesnt mean that we need to use very difficult and strange English words to organize ideas,if the sentenses are logically and clearly expressed well,in the end,i think its a beautiful writing.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-15 01:51:10 | 显示全部楼层
It is a nice suggestion to summon so many friends writing their opinions, since at least our language ability and ideas demonstrating themselves as their flows together. But in a sense, you pick up a very difficult question to answer. Think about any foreign who are speaking Chinese. Cheers..
As a quite unsufficient solution, I recommend you to recite some patterns of English. You can find some useful book written by Prof. Caijigang. Some of his books are also available from amazon.cn. From a better and long-term perspective, you can read Dumas novel, Newyorker, Economist, as such.

Last but not least, recite the GRE words before you move on. Recite New Concept English III and IV. Try to say ten words in five seconds. Try to recite one of your favorite story in a flying speed.

Then You will shorten your distance to a quasi-native speaker.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-15 23:31:19 | 显示全部楼层

Generally, listening, speaking, reading, writing, and translating are five basic skills for english learners. As a student of science and engineering, writing is the most important one, because we must write kings of english papers to graduate.
As for scientific paper writing, one convenient and valid way is imitate other writers' sentences, especially American, English and Candan. Due to the regular form for scientific paper, the most common sentence pattern is limited. For example, you can use "Much/Little/No/A volume of+work/research +has been carried out on/done on/performed on/published on/devoted to+***" or "Our results indicate/the data reported here suggest/these findings confirm/it appears/our conclusion is/these results imply/these data show/these findings support the hypothesis/our data provide evidence +that***"+to express the same meaning.
Though the process is very hard at first, you can write just like a native english speaker.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-18 19:16:06 | 显示全部楼层
游客,本帖隐藏的内容需要积分高于 2 才可浏览,您当前积分为 0
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-18 20:22:55 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker ?

Many people around are studying English ,But few of them can write a passage like a native-speaker! why? because we pay too many attention on the grammar, thus we pay less atention to the native ’s habits and ideas. so what should we do?

we should read the native articles,such as Books,magzines,newspapers and so on.we should try to get a good sense of the articles (at least you think so),and then you write something about the articles or others you have read,If you persevere with it,i promise that you would do better in writing.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-18 20:47:11 | 显示全部楼层
How to write like a native English speaker? I think there are three tips to write like a native English speaker.

Fistly build your vocabulary. Reading is the best way to do that since it exposes you to a far wider range of words than conversation or spoken media, such as radio or television. Collect words you don't know. In addition, browse in the dictionary, play word games, and subscribe to a word of the day.

Secondly practice more. Write for a journal, blog, or wiki. Wikis, especially, need writers and requently come with a whole community of editors who will help you. Whatever and wherever you write, practice daily, if possible. In email and text messages, use complete sentences. That's writing, too.

Thirdly try to "talk to yourself" or think in English from time to time. For example, when it's very cold think "oh, it's cold" instead of thinking of the phrase in your mother tongue.
回复

使用道具 举报

copy_right 该用户已被删除
发表于 2008-11-18 23:07:23 | 显示全部楼层
How to write as a native English-speaker

In most of English test, such as CET-4, we had to write a short essay. I always remembered how difficult for me to write a sentence which can easily be expressed in Chinese.

To write a good essay, the most important thing is to make the sentence structure correct. For example, VOA special English can descript most events and explain most ideas with only limited word.

From my point of view, the use of conjunction is the key to successfully write good sentence and paragraph. For example, if we can use "not only…but also" or "the more…the more", we will express more precisely what we want to tell the reader.

In addition to the sentence structure, the structure of the whole article is also very important. We can use some adverb to make the essay's structure more clear, such as "firstly…second…last". We also should give our opinions at the beginning of the article, which can make the reader understand what we want to say in the following part. In the main part of the essay, we can summarize the paragraph at the begging of the paragraph.

With good sentence and article structure, we can make the essay more readable with the use of synonyms.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-19 19:44:19 | 显示全部楼层

It's really a big challenge to write like a native English speaker; as a matter of fact, It's just impossible for almost all the foreigners. Here is some tips for people who wants to improve himself.

First, Read a lot. It's worth no surprise that many native English speakers can not write like a native English speakers, even though they speak a lot. Why? Because they do not read. It goes without a doubt that nobody can write well without reading a lot, even if a genius. So, as a foreigner, you have to be more diligent on reading.

Second, Write a lot. It is said that practice makes perfect. The only way to improve your skills is to learn through mistakes, and practice will give you enough chances to commit mistakes. Many people are afraid of mistake, so they refuse to practise. What they do not understand is the fact that they are shutting down the only way out themselves.

The last but not the least, Write a lot in your own native language. I do not think it is possible that a Chinese who do not write well in his/her native language would behave excellent in English. If you want to improve in English-writing, you have to improve in Chinese-writing first.

Saying is easier than doing. When I am writing this acticle, I definitely know that I am not a good writer either. I just give some ideas that I hope is useful for my friends here.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-30 21:08:40 | 显示全部楼层
English is one of the most required courses in all colleges and universities across the country while how to write like a native English speraker seems to be a big problem to our chinese.
In my opinion,we should do the below things to write like a native English speaker. On the one hand,speak native English as soon as possible is necessary and meaningful,we can write beautiful sentenses quckly just like the way of studying Liyang's Crazy English on the other hand,write more is a good way,just as the proubs says practice makes skillful.
as far as I concered in those above ways may we write more beautiful sentenses but not the only way.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-12-1 18:06:14 | 显示全部楼层
You do well by having a concern to make your pronunciation a native-like one. This is absolutely what English teachers around the world should do. As a learner, I do the same and want that my English sounds like a native speaker's, speaking the standard English. Not like any of I do not know how many varieties of English, but like the standard one. Like the one you hear on CNN, BBC,... Like the one the standard pronunciation of which is offered by many dictionaries with CD-Roms of excellent quality. If I do not understand at least what is spoken among the native speakers of standard English, what is spoken on TV. By the way, I was blamed by a native teacher of English for being a fanatic to have recommended using one of these expensive but high quality monolingual English dictionaries. He found it totally unnecessary to deal with the phonemic symbols. It was enough for him to teach the English pronunciation with the Turkish phonemic sounds which is absolutely nonsense. Anything should be taught the way it belongs. My recommendation is that the phonemic symbols help you a lot and that you listen to and watch English programs on TV (CNN,BBC) as much as possible.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-12-15 18:34:54 | 显示全部楼层

In China, thousands of people learn English for years; however, few of them can speak English like a local Englishman. Partly because of the circumstance of speaking, in my opinion, the education of China is the key problem. When we are children, English teachers usually taught us for the examination. So, form year to year, we are trained to be good examiner, we can get a high mark in the exam. But in fact, we cannot communicate well with foreigners. How to write like a native English speak? It’s a question that should set people thinking.

The most important is that we should think just like a native English speaker. Chinese think so different from Englishman. If you insist to think in Chinese way, no matter how much time you spend in learning English, you cannot write a trueborn paper. And then, reading excellent English writing as much as possible. It will help you to know how to write as a native English speaker. Thirdly, practice more, which is, writing in English as much as you can. In the beginning, you may write a short and simple one. But if you keep writing, you will more and more familiar with the expression in English.

Easier said than done, if you keep writing in right way, then one day, you will write like a native English speaker.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-12-19 12:40:55 | 显示全部楼层
The questions of two respects need considering: First, the difference of the logic mode of thinking; Second, the application of the expression way of the vocabulary.
Logical thinking, Chinese pay attention to and deepen progressively, but westerners pay attention to and enter the theme directly, can state view of you first, go on, explain to view and then, have clear step come, explain you how obtain these view mainly, argument should be abundant, proper arrangement should be clear, this is very important, making sure to keep in mind don't talk in a roundabout way
Express the respects, should all pay attention to the English and written expression at ordinary times, remember some commonly used expression ways, some we think useful word may extraordinary spoken language take in their view, unless it should pay attention to its applicable for linguistic context, moreover,can't oneself coin words and expressions,obvious modes of thinking Chinese this often, certainly it is not native enough .
回复

使用道具 举报

asallen 该用户已被删除
发表于 2008-12-20 23:56:47 | 显示全部楼层
As a student in United Kingdom, that is the major problem for Chinese students. How to write as local people? I got something to show u as below:
  Speak to the local people
  Read books and newspapers
  Enjoy in bars, shopping and gambling etc.

  Do not plug ur ears with ur in-earphone at public locations. (bus, bank, supermarket etc, just listen, very interesting.)

  Get a local girl/boy (or …), When in Rome do as the Romans do!
  Hmm…. It takes time.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 01:39 , Processed in 0.443268 second(s), 7 queries , Redis On.