更正一下
1、谢南多亚河(Shenandoah River)
2、约翰.布朗
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-18 07:20:04 | 显示全部楼层
谢南多亚河
约翰布朗

19世纪上半叶美国废奴运动活动家、哈普渡起义的领导者。生于康涅狄格州的托林顿镇。家境清贫,未受正规教育。当过土地测量员、木材商、羊毛商、邮递员等。为人耿爽,富有正义感。极其同情黑人奴隶的悲惨境遇,视奴隶制为“罪恶的渊薮”。参加过帮助黑奴逃跑的“地下铁道。1851年,成立反抗“逃亡奴隶法”的武装组织——“美国基列人同盟”。1856年,带领子女参加“堪萨斯内战”,率先武装抵抗和反击奴隶主势力的进攻。 1857年,他开始筹划以解放黑人奴隶为目标的武装起义。1858年5月,召开秘密会议,决定举行起义。 1859年10月16日夜,约翰·布朗率领包括3个儿子、6个黑人在内的总数为22人的小队伍,在弗吉尼亚州杰斐逊县(今属西弗吉尼亚州)位于波托马克河与谢南多亚河文汇处的小镇——哈普渡起义,遭到镇压,寡不敌众,起义者或死或伤,约翰·布朗本人被俘。于是年12月2日被处死。他在临刑前说:“我,约翰·布朗,现在坚信这个罪恶的国度的罪恶,只有用鲜血才能涤净。我曾以为,不用流很多的血即可做到这点,现在,我认为这是徒劳无益的。”布朗起义推动了废奴运动的发展,成了美国内战的先声。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-18 07:46:05 | 显示全部楼层
1)谢南多亚河(Shenandoah River)
2)约翰.布朗
3)
谢南多亚河(Shenandoah River),是美国东部一条河流,波托马克河最大的支流,全长约241公里,其流域被称为谢南多亚河谷,是美国重要的葡萄酒产地。该河发源于弗吉尼亚州奥古斯塔县境内,北流成为西弗吉尼亚州和弗吉尼亚州的边界,最终在哈伯斯费里(Harpers Ferry)附近注入波托马克河。

谢南多亚这个名字来自印第安人的语言,意思是“星之美丽的女儿”。河谷底部的道路一开始是土著人部落迁徙时使用的道路,后来成为重要的交通路线。20世纪里这条交通要道是要收路费的。后来弗吉尼亚州收购了这条道路,现在它是美國國道11。此外州际高速公路I-81在大多数地方与它平行。

谢南多亚河谷戰役是美國南北戰爭的一場重要的戰役,雙方為了控制維吉尼亞而在此地打了數年。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-18 08:04:49 | 显示全部楼层
(1)谢南多亚河

(2)约翰.布朗

(3)名字来自印第安人的语言,意思是“星之美丽的女儿”。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-12-18 09:14:33 | 显示全部楼层
恭喜3、4、5、6楼,你们可以拿到奖励了:)

大家猜得差不多了,我的答案随后公布。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-18 09:21:35 | 显示全部楼层
1.这条河流的名字。谢南多亚河(又译成:申南多亚河、沙南道河)
   2.在这里处死的与南北战争有关的名人是谁? 约翰·布朗
约翰·布朗的牺牲在北方引起巨大反响,到处都在为他举行追悼会,流传开了有关他的种种神话与歌曲,其中最为著名的是《约翰·布朗之歌》。南方对此表示惊愕,他们认为黑奴是他们的私有财产,而保护个人私有财产是《宪法》中明文规定的,约翰·布朗企图解放黑奴就是在侵犯他人的私有财产,这样的人居然被北方当成殉道的圣徒,这让他们感到北方在背离《宪法》精神,南北双方的裂痕在扩大。
     3.和这条河流有关的传说。
The origin of the name Shenandoah is a much debated one. One theory holds that Shenandoah is an Indian word meany "sprucy stream" or "river flowing alongside high hills and mountains." The word Shenandoah does come from Algonquian-Wakashian American Indians which does mean ((Beautiful star daughter; maybe spruce-lined stream or vast prairie.)

Another theory is the origin of the Shenandoah Valley , Virginia, Indian, of course, and also means "daughter of the skies." Jacob Oliver Roads named Shenadoah after the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia where he had coal interests. Other claims are that Shenandoah is Iroquois for "great plains" and less likely, that it is derived from the Schind-han-dom or "spruce stream." Take your choice.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-18 09:33:01 | 显示全部楼层

就我没猜对~~~
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-18 10:05:38 | 显示全部楼层
俄亥俄河
公元1887年春天,美国举行了一次轰动全国的州际拔河比赛,这是牵涉到俄亥俄河归属问题的比赛。两个州都说那条河应该是自己的,他们找到法院,法院也找不出有关条款来判决。实在没办法,只好用拔河来决定这件让人头疼的大事。
  比赛那天,两个州分别精选了三十名强壮的大汉组成拔河队。河宽三百米,拔河的绳子有七百米长。
  两岸观众人山人海,他们都为自己一方捏一把汗。
  "嚁--"哨声响了,参赛者个个使足了劲,身子拼命朝后倾,两腿蹬着地,手上青筋暴起,一个劲地向后,向后。
  两岸的啦啦队声嘶力竭地为本队呐喊,呼叫声响彻云霄。
  可是,无论双方怎样用力,绳索中的红布条还是静静地躺在那儿,一动也不动。
  二十分钟过去了,双方仍然相持不下。有的队员脸憋得像猪肝一样红,头上汗珠滚滚。
  渐渐地,肯塔基队吃不消了,而印第安纳队却像钉子一般钉在那里纹丝不动,那根红布条正慢慢她向他们那边移去。
眼看印第安纳队就要赢了,突然,肯塔基队的一名啦啦队员灵机一动,跑到河岸上,冲着印第安纳队做起了滑稽的鬼脸。这一下不打紧,印第安纳队的大力士们再也忍不住,个个笑得前仰后合,浑身的劲顿时消了一半。
肯塔基队乘机进行反击,把绳子使劲向他们这边拉,"扑通扑通",印第安纳队的队员像下饺子一样纷纷掉进了河里。
  印第安纳队队长气得火冒三丈,指责对方在耍花招,并提出这一局不算,得重来,必须三局两胜才行。肯塔基队就是不同意,争来争去,只得不了了之。
尽管这次比赛没有结果,但"拔河"一词却被保留了下来,一直沿用到现在。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-18 11:08:32 | 显示全部楼层
进来学习。
我以为是密西西比的。纯属猜测。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-12-18 21:54:03 | 显示全部楼层

1.这条河是弗吉尼亚北部的谢南多亚河:Shenandoah River。

韦氏词典解释shenandoah的词源:
probably from the Chenango river and Chenango canal in south-central New York state。

《美国词语的掌故》一书中是这样说的:
几百年以前,有一个叫谢南多亚的印第安酋长住在现在是弗吉尼亚州的地方。关于谢南多亚的事很少为人所知,但是人们把 他那柔和的名字用来命名一条河流。
也有人认为谢南多亚的意思是“云杉河”(spruce river)。

2.和这条河有关的历史人物是约翰.布朗。

他的情况前面楼上介绍过了,我贴一段他在法庭上的演说:

John Brown's Last Statement to the Court

I have, may it please the Court, a few words to say.

In the first place, I deny everything but what I have all along admitted,—the design on my part to free the slaves. I intended certainly to have made
a clean thing of that matter, as I did last winter, when I went into Missouri and there took slaves without the snapping of a gun on either side, moved
them through the country, and finally left them in Canada. I designed to have done the same thing again, on a larger scale. That was all I intended. I
never did intend murder, or treason, or the destruction of property, or to excite or incite slaves to rebellion, or to make insurrection.

I have another objection; and that is, it is unjust that I should suffer such a penalty. Had I interfered in the manner which I admit, and which I admit
has been fairly proved (for I admire the truthfulness and candor of the greater portion of the witnesses who have testified in this case),—had I so
interfered in behalf of the rich, the powerful, the intelligent, the so-called great, or in behalf of any of their friends,—either father, mother, brother,
sister, wife, or children, or any of that class,—and suffered and sacrificed what I have in this interference, it would have been all right; and every
man in this court would have deemed it an act worthy of reward rather than punishment.

This court acknowledges, as I suppose, the validity of the law of God. I see a book kissed here which I suppose to be the Bible, or at least the New
Testament. That teaches me that all things whatsoever I would that men should do to me, I should do even so to them. It teaches me, further, to
“remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them.” I endeavored to act up to that instruction. I say, I am yet too young to understand that God
is any respecter of persons. I believe that to have interfered as I have done—as I have always freely admitted I have done—in behalf of His
despised poor, was not wrong, but right. Now, if it is deemed necessary that I should forfeit my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice, and
mingle my blood further with the blood of my children and with the blood of millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by wicked,
cruel, and unjust enactments,—I submit; so let it be done!
Let me say one word further.
I feel entirely satisfied with the treatment I have received on my trial. Considering all the circumstances, it has been more generous than I expected.
But I feel no consciousness of guilt. I have stated from the first what was my intention, and what was not. I never had any design against the life of
any person, nor any disposition to commit treason, or excite slaves to rebel, or make any general insurrection. I never encouraged any man to do so,
but always discouraged any idea of that kind.

Let me say, also, a word in regard to the statements made by some of those connected with me. I hear it has been stated by some of them that I
have induced them to join me. But the contrary is true. I do not say this to injure them, but as regretting their weakness. There is not one of them
but joined me of his own accord, and the greater part of them at their own expense. A number of them I never saw, and never had a word of
conversation with, till the day they came to me; and that was for the purpose I have stated.

Now I have done.

约翰.布朗死后,有许多与他有关的民歌在老百姓和士兵中传唱。他被看作殉道者,但并非是一个黑白分明的简单人物。

Herman Melville(就是《白鲸》的作者)的《战事集》开篇就写到约翰.布朗的就刑是战争的预兆:

THE PORTENT

(1859)

Hanging from the beam,
Slowly swaying (such the law),
Gaunt the shadow on your green,
Shenandoah!
The cut is on the crown
(Lo, John Brown),
And the stabs shall heal no more.

Hidden in the cap
Is the anguish none can draw;
So your future veils its face,
Shenandoah!
But the streaming beard is shown
(Weird John Brown),
The meteor of the war.

3.有关这条河流的传说:

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-12-18 22:01:09 | 显示全部楼层
美丽的景色与美好的精神同在,感谢小白马出了个好的题目以及其后精彩的点评
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 23:24 , Processed in 0.403735 second(s), 6 queries , Redis On.