zzydj 发表于 2007-6-28 17:22:50

超级成语SHOW

1.put one’s foot down 坚决反对
  A: What’s your plan for the holiday?
  假期你有什么打算?
  B: I planned to go to Dubai on my own but my mother decided to put her foot down.
  我打算自己一个人去迪拜,但我妈妈坚决反对。
  A: Why did she do so?
  她为什么这么做呢?
  B: She wanted me to go to Spain with them.
  她想让我和他们一起去西班牙。
  
  2.find a way around sth 找到一个迂回的办法达到目的
  A: What did he say to our proposal?
  他对我们的提议怎么说?
  B: He said “No way”!
  他说“绝对不可能”!
  A: Then we will have to find a way around it.
  那么看来我们得另外想办法了。
  B: Yes.
  是啊。
  
  3.catch up on sth 花些时间做最近没空做的事情
  A: Hi, Linda, wanna go to the pub tonight?
  琳达,今晚想去酒吧吗?
  B: Well, thanks but no. Maybe another time.
  谢了,但我不能去。或许下次吧。
  A: So, a quieter phase, in which you enjoy your own company again?
  又是你想安静独处的时段了?
  B: Yes, I am catching up on a bit of reading and am happy just staying at home.
  是啊,我想花些时间读读最近一直没空读的书,只想待在家里。
  
  4.get a grip 努力控制自己的行为
  A: My heart is broken.
  我的心碎了。
  B: I totally understand how you feel.
  我完全理解你的感受。
  A: I know I should get a grip and get on with it.
  我知道自己得努力控制,继续撑下去。
  B: That’s the right attitude.
  这个态度才是正确的。
  
  5.set an example 做出榜样
  A: Amanda is really a great lady.
  阿曼达真是位了不起的女士。
  B: I agree, life has dealt her a series of savage blows, each one accompanied by its own numbing sense of grief, but she managed to keep on being very positive about life.
  是啊。生活给了她一系列严重的打击,每一次都给她带来那么深的伤痛,但是她还是能那么正面地看待生活。
  A: She really sets an example for us.
  她真的为我们树立了一个好榜样。
  B: Yes, we should all learn from her.
  是啊,我们都应该向她学习。
  
  6.wishful thinking 如意算盘,痴心妄想
  A: My son is coming home for the holiday.
  我儿子要回来度假了。
  B: Great! Will he stay long?
  太好了,他这次能待很长时间吗?
  A: Just a week. I quite like the girl I am working with, and I wish they could meet and become a couple.
  只有一周。我很喜欢和我一起工作的女孩,希望他俩有机会认识,成为一对。
  B: Maybe it is only your wishful thinking.After all, the time is too short for them to really know each other.
  或许这只是你的如意算盘,毕竟时间太短了,他们没法深入了解彼此。
  
  7.stressed out 异常紧张,焦虑
  A: Wow, there are several red spots on your face, are you allergic to something?
  哎呀,你脸上有好几个红点点,你对什么东西过敏吗?
  B: Don’t know. I’ve had it for days.
  不知道,都已经有好几天了。
  A: Maybe you should go see your GP (general practitioner).
  或许你该去医生那里看看。
  B: I guess it might be because I am stressed out recently.
  我想可能还是因为最近压力太大造成的。
  
  8.satellite navigation(sat nav) 汽车
  上面的方向导航装置
  A: Can you imagine, I drove to York and then back, all by myself!
  你相信吗,我独自驾车去约克,又独自回来了!
  B: I wonder with your sense of direction, how did you manage that?
  你的方向感那么差,我真不知道你是怎么做到的。
  A: Thanks to Satellite navigation! Do you know how it works?
  多亏了汽车导航装置。你知道它是如何工作的吗?
  B: Well, sat nav works by communicating with GPS (global positioning system)satellites so the unit knows where you are with fantastic accuracy.
  它是靠和全球定位系统卫星沟通,得到非常准确的定位。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 超级成语SHOW